New vs Vintage Cherry blues

elecplus

20 May 2015, 22:04

I just found a NIB serial connect numpad with old Cherry blue switches made by Qtronix Corp.
Very click-y :-) I love the feel.
My daily keyboard is a Razer with Cherry blues, and yes, it is clicky too, but it is different than the numpad.
The numpad has a much shorter actuation point before the click, and it feels much crisper.
IMG_5120.JPG
IMG_5120.JPG (925.36 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
IMG_5121.JPG
IMG_5121.JPG (590.46 KiB) Viewed 1564 times

Muirium
µ

20 May 2015, 22:08

Phew, last time I heard you were still using a regular non-mechanical keyboard!

Odd that old MX would feel like it's clicking at a different height in its travel than modern MX. I don't think Cherry ever changed that. Could be more to do with lube or wear I suppose.

Sharp, crisp and clicky, eh? You should get into buckling spring. I know someone in Texas who has a few in his garage…

elecplus

20 May 2015, 22:18

Jim has a buckling spring. He rarely types any more, but the other day I was napping in my recliner, and he decided to type an email to his son. That woke me up quickly!

I gave him the BS, 1391401, several years ago. They are good keyboards, but I think I prefer the Cherry blues!

There is almost 1/8" difference in the actuation point on the old switch vs the new one, at least it feels that way. Probably just me!

Muirium
µ

20 May 2015, 22:20

3 mm? (Says my converter.) Weird. That's almost the complete 4mm MX travel!

Anyway, the sound of buckling spring is the sound of victory!

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

25 May 2015, 17:18

Yea, I never noticed much of a difference. But I've been typing away on buckling spring for the last couple years, so what do I know.

Ascaii
The Beard

27 May 2015, 13:33

Actually, we had this discussion a while back at the MrInterface keyboard party. There is indeed a difference, and ive got boards to prove it too^^

The difference is very subtle, good for you to notice it. We came up with many theories, from different plastic, to wear on the nubs, to different thicknesses from worn out molds causing scratchiness (my personal fav), and several more. There is no conclusive proof, but I am glad to provide my vintage numpad for science, its from an epson printing tower.

andrewjoy

27 May 2015, 18:04

if its a razer black widow ( the original none shit ones ) then it will be the caps they are much higher profile than standard cherry.

Some people on a list somewhere ( something to do with a tour) may get to try one , if you know what i mean ! ( assuming i can find it :P)

Return to “Keyboards”