So I found me a new keyboard, Cherry browns

elecplus

29 May 2015, 21:07

I was in Dallas yesterday, left just as the storms were coming in.
It is a Cherry G80 with brown switches, rather a nice feel. Brand new, from the scrap pile.
Strange what gets recycled!

Dallas got over 7 inches of rain in the storms last night. We were really lucky. The storms followed us all the way home, right behind us. I wish I had a camera with me. It was very strange looking. The sky overhead was totally black at 7PM, but ahead we could see bright blue skies. The clouds overhead were so low you could see them starting to touch the ground. Big swirls of puffiness blowing all over. Really weird looking!

Muirium
µ

29 May 2015, 21:13

That sounds like winter in Scotland, besides for the blue skies in the distance part. When the storms are blowing here, there's nothing but big thick clouds hugging the ground. And the occasional flying tree.

Summer's much better. There's the occasional break from the rain and hail:
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 2856 times
One I shot yesterday. Much the same story today.

SL89

29 May 2015, 21:20

That's crazy weather down there that's for certain. Is the G80 your new daily driver then Cindy?

chzel

29 May 2015, 21:38

WTF? The image looks upside down, and if I open it it's right side up!

Muirium
µ

29 May 2015, 21:50

Pictures are hard. Don't be mean to the Internet!

(Could be because I pulled it out an email I sent. I'll swap it for the original file when I'm home.)

elecplus

29 May 2015, 22:00

The G80 will be the daily driver for the ERP system I am making. The extra programmable keys will come in handy.

acolombo

29 May 2015, 23:01

Muirium wrote: That sounds like winter in Scotland, besides for the blue skies in the distance part. When the storms are blowing here, there's nothing but big thick clouds hugging the ground. And the occasional flying tree.

Summer's much better. There's the occasional break from the rain and hail:
image.jpg
One I shot yesterday. Much the same story today.
from the photo orientation I can easily tell that's Australia, not Scotland

jou

29 May 2015, 23:26

chzel wrote: WTF? The image looks upside down, and if I open it it's right side up!
The probable cause for this that the resizing script on the server doesn't support EXIF orientation. Some cameras saves the image as it comes from the sensor and add orientation as metadata.

Ran recently into this at work in a project involving photo uploads and is as frustrating to debug as it sounds…

Muirium
µ

29 May 2015, 23:50

Odd. Looks rightside up every computer I use to load the thread. What weird assed browsers are you guys using?

The photo is indeed rotated by its EXIF. I can put it through ImageOptim which should sort that out. I usually use it on DT headers at Webwit's suggestion. Shaves off valuable k from those highly loaded images, especially unnecessary EXIF stuff like GPS.

Speaking of which: that's a nice spot where I shot the pic. In a park up Corstorphine Hill. Right there in the metadata.

Despite being one of the oldest in the world, I guess it wasn't always a golf course…

chzel

30 May 2015, 00:19

Chrome Version 43.0.2357.81 m on Win7.
Tell the truth Mu, you were hanging upside down from a tree...

Muirium
µ

30 May 2015, 00:24

It was just the old iPhone 4S. News to me there's a "right" side up when in landscape! Not like it's a traditional camera with buttons along the top. I assumed portrait would be the default.

Ray

30 May 2015, 00:34

Muirium wrote: What weird assed browsers are you guys using?
Luakit has it upside down.

jou

30 May 2015, 01:23

Weird… it's upside down in both Safari and Firefox in my Mac but not in Safari on iOS…

Muirium
µ

30 May 2015, 01:30

Firefox hates it too! Ah well, I'll run it through ImageOptim then. What a derail!

webwit
Wild Duck

30 May 2015, 02:18

You're holding it wrong.

Muirium
µ

30 May 2015, 02:27

I do. I use my tablets left handed for some reason. Just like I read books. That should have bitten me in OMFG iPOCALYPSE ANTENENAGATE! But I was doing that wrong too.

Mal-2

30 May 2015, 22:17

elecplus wrote: I was in Dallas yesterday, left just as the storms were coming in.
It is a Cherry G80 with brown switches, rather a nice feel. Brand new, from the scrap pile.
Strange what gets recycled!
If you still need more programmable keys, you could sacrifice one of the G86 boards you have laying around and do this:
Up to 186 keys of programmable goodness (54 on the extension)
Up to 186 keys of programmable goodness (54 on the extension)
battleship.jpg (250.04 KiB) Viewed 2596 times
I took the membranes out to get them out of harm's way, cut off the bottom three rows of the keyboard (which used to be a G86-61411) with a rotary tool – it took me about 45 minutes and half a dozen cutting wheels to get through the steel plate – also removing the stems to the fourth and fifth rows but leaving the shell. The membrane is just folded over the back, eliminating the need to reroute traces. I shaped the remaining shell to be most stable at the desired attachment angle, then attached it to the back end of my otherwise perfectly normal G86-63401 with nothing but hot glue, lots and lots of hot glue. I also set it one millimeter to the left of center, which is going to drive me nuts forever.

(tl;dr: disassemble, cut all pieces except the membranes, reassemble, fold the membranes over the back.)

The keyboard doesn't know all but the top three rows are gone, so programming it is still done normally, and it doesn't matter what you set those missing rows to, so long as the membranes can't touch. (I put tape over one of them to ensure this.) However, you can set them to not send any code if you're still worried about it.

If you do this, I'd be interested in the leftover alpha keys. I have some ideas on how to engrave and fill legends onto mine, but don't want to risk it on what is now my only set (the ones from this project keyboard went to the 61410 I stole them from in the first place).

Return to “Keyboards”