Found an old G80-3036

gridMENSCH

25 Jun 2015, 11:44

Hi There,

First post here so I'm not sure if this is in the correct place. I found this in an office-cellar of my Granddad's, as far as I can tell it was made in 1990. It has doubleshots, MX Blacks and a CH layout. It was dirty but few scratches except for one on the spacebar. I can't find an exact reference anywhere to a 'G80-3036' so I guess it's pretty rare, but I don't know enough about these things to be sure. Here is a short album of poor photos.

http://imgur.com/a/Ck2q8

HzFaq

25 Jun 2015, 11:50

I just replied on GH, its a nice find.

I think the 3036 might be a customer specific variation of a 3000, I'm sure Pho/kbdfr will be along to correct me shortly :D.

Muirium
µ

25 Jun 2015, 11:51

It's an early G80-3000, so not exactly rare. Nice set of Swiss(?) doubleshots. If they'd been dyesubs you could have had some interest from the Cherry fans. Nothing wrong with doubleshots though. They just aren't considered aphrodisiacs in Seoul…

You can convert it to USB quite easily if you like.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Jun 2015, 11:52

Nice find. It cleaned up well.

gridMENSCH

25 Jun 2015, 12:29

Muirium, it is indeed a Swiss layout. Could you link me to a guide to convert it to USB or would that just be plugging it to Ps/2 then to USB with an active adapter?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

25 Jun 2015, 12:45

HzFaq wrote: […] I think the 3036 might be a customer specific variation of a 3000, I'm sure Pho/kbdfr will be along to correct me shortly :D.
Right, e.g. 3081 for Highscreen, 3234 for Reuters, 3090 and 3091 two different versions for Schneider.
gridMENSCH wrote: Muirium, […] Could you link me to a guide to convert it to USB or would that just be plugging it to Ps/2 then to USB with an active adapter?
I've done that (DIN > PS/2 > USB) with passive adapters.
But Muirium probably refers to modding the keyboard itself, he's usually quite disrespectful towards old keyboards :mrgreen:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Jun 2015, 12:47

kbdfr wrote: But Muirium probably refers to modding the keyboard itself, he's usually quite disrespectful towards old keyboards :mrgreen:
Oh I did not know that. These keyboard ethics. Very complicated. 8-)

HzFaq

25 Jun 2015, 12:57

First do no harm irreversible mods :D.

Rare boards get treated nicely by me, anything common is fair game for a butchering.

Muirium
µ

25 Jun 2015, 13:38

kbdfr wrote: But Muirium probably refers to modding the keyboard itself, he's usually quite disrespectful towards old keyboards :mrgreen:
I tore apart a Tipro once. It never recovered. He shall not forgive!

I'm usually pretty well behaved. What I'd do is put a Teensy running Soarer's Converter inside the case. Entirely non-destructive (you can set aside the original AT cable) and you get a programmable USB keyboard out of the upgrade.

The perfectly uninvasive option is indeed an active USB converter. These boards are too old for passive; USB hadn't been invented yet so of course they don't support it internally. Soarer's Converter does the trick again, and doesn't care if it's housed inside or outside the keyboard. Here's the one I'm running right now, housed in a metal box with various different sockets on it for a lot of my old boards. The one I'm on just now, coincidentally, is a G80-3000 with fancy doubleshots of my own

derzemel

25 Jun 2015, 14:04

Muirium wrote: Here's the one I'm running right now, housed in a metal box with various different sockets on it for a lot of my old boards. The one I'm on just now, coincidentally, is a G80-3000 with fancy doubleshots of my own
Spoiler:
uuuu... very elegant solution... planning a GB for it? :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

25 Jun 2015, 14:17

I still owe Facetsesame one. Got the parts for it, but I need my old man to clean up his workshop so I can use the pillar drill again. Wish he didn't find fixing old cars so amusing. Why couldn't it be old keyboards like sensible people? They're so much more space efficient!

IvanIvanovich

25 Jun 2015, 16:57

This one's Swiss layout differs some from what I have seen before, like the one I had

I suppose this one is an older version of it? Looks like a nice find.

photekq
Cherry Picker

25 Jun 2015, 17:16

Muirium wrote: It's an early G80-3000, so not exactly rare.
This is a 1990 G80-3000, so it's far from common! Swiss layout means even further from common.

1990 means lovely, smooth MX blacks. Nice find! :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

25 Jun 2015, 17:31

That's authoritative then. He knows a lot more about Cherry kit than I do!

jou

25 Jun 2015, 20:03

If it's an customer specific version, the customer was probably mainly doing business in the German speaking part of Switzerland. Swiss German and Swiss French is mostly the same layout, except for swapped non-shifted characters for ü/è, ö/é, and ä/à keys.

Return to “Keyboards”