Bigass ISO return key

Chyros

04 Jul 2015, 21:24

I just realised that the keyboard I had been using for 10 or so years before I got into MKs (my trusty PCVA) has what appears to be a rather unique return key; a bigass ISO return. It's a product of it being a sort of space-saving design; the return key takes up extra space generated by the arrow keys. The result is almost as large as a bigass and ISO return overlaid, and probably explains why I like bigass enters, now that I think about it. The backspace key is similarly enlarged. See pics below:

Overlaid on top of a normal ISO return key:

While I'm at it, here's what can happen to lasered ABS when you abuse it for 10 years. They were not the kindest years of my life xD .

Anyone else seen a return key like this before? Or any other weird return keys?

fohat
Elder Messenger

04 Jul 2015, 22:59

Needs a new name.

How about "fat ass"?

Chyros

04 Jul 2015, 23:05

Haha, that makes sense xD .

Findecanor

05 Jul 2015, 01:48

Or, how about just "extra-wide vertical Return key". ;)

It is not that uncommon, especially among keyboards that would otherwise have a 1u Backspace key.
Amstrad CPC 464, many Japanese keyboards such as those for NEC PC-8801, PC-88. etc.

The keyboard that came stock with an Asus PC I bought five years ago is a scissor switch keyboard with a Return key like that, also without any six-key cluster in-between main keys and numeric keypad.

Muirium
µ

05 Jul 2015, 14:35

Big Ass? Puh-lease. That's Big Ass:

I'd call yours Big Ass ISO. Or just Little Big Ass. It's big, sure, but it ain't quite the super flabby, keyboard hogging, layout destroying, real deal!

I would, however, gladly destroy both of them with fire.

tactica

05 Jul 2015, 14:46

So would I, pity my only board with blue Alps comes with one of those :x

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

05 Jul 2015, 14:51

Hmm that's rare and insane. What keyboard is that on? You want to see some strange return keys:

the return key on the Zenith ZKB-2 is quite elegant imo:
IMG_20150705_144331.jpg
IMG_20150705_144331.jpg (952.7 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
but the ANTI Bigass return key of all time is on the M0110F:
IMG_20150705_144514.jpg
IMG_20150705_144514.jpg (952.76 KiB) Viewed 3708 times

Muirium
µ

05 Jul 2015, 15:02

You asking me? The picture is from the wiki:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Return_key

The IBM AT is likely to blame for that monstosity's arrival on the world. Fortunately, an AT can be split into regular ANSI dead easy with the appropriate caps.

Before:

After:

But these inferior clones are zombies forever!

seebart

05 Jul 2015, 15:07

No, I was asking Chyros. But I guess he already gave us that info:
(my trusty PCVA)

I might be a little mongo with my posting since it's 482379 degrees of blazing heat here angain today.

Muirium
µ

05 Jul 2015, 15:19

If you didn't already have the perfect rank, I'd be setting it to Little Mongo right now! Great choice.

seebart

05 Jul 2015, 15:24

Muirium wrote: If you didn't already have the perfect rank, I'd be setting it to Little Mongo right now! Great choice.
Nah, that's not creative enough. And it almost sounds a little "cute".

Muirium
µ

05 Jul 2015, 15:38

Seeing as you're in the heat, how about Mighty Mongo Santamaria?
Anyway, I ain't editing it. I couldn't. The irony!

Chyros

05 Jul 2015, 15:43

Muirium wrote: Big Ass? Puh-lease. That's Big Ass:

I'd call yours Big Ass ISO. Or just Little Big Ass. It's big, sure, but it ain't quite the super flabby, keyboard hogging, layout destroying, real deal!
No really, it's actually bigger than a bigass return key:

I have lots of keyboards with bigass return, as all my boards are old. This is the biggest one I've seen to date though. Believe it or not, I like bigass return keys (after that, the ISO one, and the ANSI one is my least favourite one).

I like the styling of the medium-ass return key Zenith used to put on their boards like that ZKB-2 (of which I hope I'll get one, I'd love to try out SKCL Greens :D).

Muirium
µ

05 Jul 2015, 15:48

Holy shit! Fire might not be enough. Ready the nukes!

Perhaps that's what the venerable Beardsmore (or someone I forget) called Obese Ass Enter. The sin beyond sin. I need a drink. And maybe a crucifix.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

05 Jul 2015, 16:00

Seems a bonkers choice for a space-saving board, but it makes some sense with the arrows.

ISO versions of the Wang 724 use this 1.75/1.5 return too, along with the 2.25 backspace and a 3 unit right shift (left shift is a mere 1.25 as usual). In that case I'm sure it's so all the extra function keys on top fit neatly, even with the usual width of the nav and num pads. The 724 is definitely not a space-saving board!

Chyros

05 Jul 2015, 17:08

facetsesame wrote: ISO versions of the Wang 724 use this 1.75/1.5 return too, along with the 2.25 backspace and a 3 unit right shift
The return key on this is 1.75 at the bottom and 2 at the top. The backspace is 2.5, and the right shift is 2.25 (on account of the up arrow being shunted into it).

Return to “Keyboards”