Anyone seen keycaps that look like these?

Davsmith4

25 Jul 2015, 03:50

Here are a few images of some quick Sketchup models I modified of the look of keycaps I would like.

Basically what im looking for is a fairly standard keycaps Just a little flatter and rounded. A bit like the yellow version of the keycaps matt3o used.

Perhaps if the place that made his makes a yellow version you could point me in the direction of those.

I dont expect to find and exact match to what im looking for just something in the same ball park thanks. :D

jacobolus

25 Jul 2015, 04:18

Muirium
µ

25 Jul 2015, 04:22

Matteo's caps are DSA:

It's one of Signature Plastics main profiles. You can order up caps in it quite easily. They're not quite as flat as you want, or indeed as they seem in that picture though. Here are some of mine:

http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/novat ... t8488.html

The F key is deep dished for homing purposes. But all the keys are spherical, not flat.

Davsmith4

25 Jul 2015, 04:33

Muirium wrote: Matteo's caps are DSA:

It's one of Signature Plastics main profiles. You can order up caps in it quite easily. They're not quite as flat as you want, or indeed as they seem in that picture though. Here are some of mine:

http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/novat ... t8488.html

The F key is deep dished for homing purposes. But all the keys are spherical, not flat.
Helpful as always ;)
Though they arent quite what I was looking for after reviewing my keyboard design these might actually work/look better.

Findecanor

25 Jul 2015, 11:03

BTW, you may not want the key surface to be too wide because that increases the risk of typos.
(An objectively assessed reason why MS Surface Type Cover and 2015 MacBook keyboard suck ...)

The key cap profile that is most like the one in the picture is otherwise Tipro Mid, but those are relegendable - in two parts and have only been available in light beige or black. I am also not sure that they have been made for all normal key sizes. (picture in the Wiki.

chzel

25 Jul 2015, 11:21

Maybe these will work for you?
http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/produ ... eycap-sets
They are blanks and there is no yellow, but you could get whites and dye them.

bazh

25 Jul 2015, 12:09

Devlin Q maybe the closest to your mockup

Except for POS machine, I cant remember any typing keyboard had flat-surface keycaps though

Findecanor

25 Jul 2015, 12:15

Does Devlin still make them? I thought they didn't but I might be wrong. The surface is also quite wide and slightly dished.
I would like to get some blank Devlin caps of that type, but I don't know where to get them.

bazh

25 Jul 2015, 15:35

I have no idea, they still listed the Q series on their product pages, guess they still make it, but in mass order maybe

Davsmith4

25 Jul 2015, 17:15

bazh wrote: Devlin Q maybe the closest to your mockup

Except for POS machine, I cant remember any typing keyboard had flat-surface keycaps though
Oh those are awesome!!!!
If i can get my hands on those they will be perfect. Thank you! :D

Davsmith4

25 Jul 2015, 17:25

bazh wrote: Devlin Q maybe the closest to your mockup

One quick question. WOuld they fit into any standard cherry mx keyboard? Im making the lazer cut file for my keyboards mounting plate and I just want to know if i can just make it standard. I'd hate to spend that much money on a custom fabricated plate only to find they dont work. :P

bazh

25 Jul 2015, 17:29

I'm not sure, but the product page of Devlin say the Q series keycaps vary from 1x1 up to 1x6 size, most 'standard keyboard' term used here and GH referred the Filco's layout which use 1x6.25 spacebar so it doesn't seem to be fit on there, the rest maybe alright

Davsmith4

25 Jul 2015, 17:34

bazh wrote: I'm not sure, but the product page of Devlin say the Q series keycaps vary from 1x1 up to 1x6 size, most 'standard keyboard' term used here and GH referred the Filco's layout which use 1x6.25 spacebar so it doesn't seem to be fit on there, the rest maybe alright
Ok thanks. Worst case senario I have to get creative with the spacebar :P
Thank for you help. Now to see if they will actually sell them to me. Preferably in the colors I need. :lol:

acolombo

25 Jul 2015, 17:44

I'd go with DSA caps, they are lot easier to find and probably better than completely flat caps.

I've tried for the first time DSA caps this week and they're really awesome, I like them a lot more compared to Cherry profile!

Davsmith4

25 Jul 2015, 22:32

acolombo wrote: I'd go with DSA caps, they are lot easier to find and probably better than completely flat caps.

I've tried for the first time DSA caps this week and they're really awesome, I like them a lot more compared to Cherry profile!
Oh i have no doubt that they are better. Im just going for a certain aesthetic and the devlin ones fit the bill better. :P

wafflepc

14 Aug 2015, 02:25

what about the signature plastics G20?

chzel

14 Aug 2015, 02:31

I suggested them too, but Devlin won the impressions!

Return to “Keyboards”