Silenced and Lubed Fc660c with Novatouch Stems: A Slice of Heaven

Durvid

18 Aug 2015, 17:52

So last night I finished the "Landing Pad" and lube mod originally posted on Geekhack for Novatouch stems by user "Spicebar", found here: https://goo.gl/lMwKT9. Before the mod the stabalizers were just terrible. I was honestly expecting a lot more out of cooler master, especially for such an expensive board. That said, harvesting the stems from a used Novatouch for $140 was certainly a lot cheaper than having them individually 3D printed. While I was pleasantly surprised that the stabalizers fit my Fc660c to a T, the quality of the plastic is still very sub par. I think the biggest issue was the fact that the stabalizer keys shot back up with more force than they were pressed down, causing quite a harsh rattle. After ironing and applying the landing pads and lubing the stabalizers, however, the board now produces probably the most satisfying thunk I have ever experienced. I still think I could benefit from adding 55g domes and springs, but until I'm able to find a Realforce at a decent price, that's going to have to be put on the back burner. I wish I would have taken a " before" sound test, but I am planning on making a video showcasing how these sound. I'm also planning on ordering more landing pads so I'll make a before and after for silencing my HHKB as well. Stay tuned..
rsz_img_20150817_232558.jpg
rsz_img_20150817_232558.jpg (964.88 KiB) Viewed 6712 times

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 Aug 2015, 18:41

I'm quite happy with my FC660C and would not tamper with it, still interesting. I like the looks of it too.

Muirium
µ

18 Aug 2015, 18:50

I'm well surprised by how sweet Hyper's rings are. After the NovaTouch renewal, I added a few to my 55g Realforce as well. Very impressive, on the spacebar especially! I'd consider it now for any Topre.

Bear in mind I always liked my HHKB Type-S. This makes the others more like it across the board. Only the NovaTouch really needed that work on every key. My 87U is only damped on the arrow keys and the main mods, so I still get the undamped Topre thock from the alphas. Makes quite a song! Glorious now with Matteo's PBT spacebar.

cookie

18 Aug 2015, 23:30

Why do you have Matteos spacebare and I don't? :(

Muirium
µ

19 Aug 2015, 01:49

A favour. I let him borrow my beamspring caps.

Hypersphere

19 Aug 2015, 15:04

Interesting. I recall seeing a post on GH saying that it might soon be possible to buy hybrid Topre sliders with Cherry mx mounts on the stems. Does anyone here have any information on this?

Khers

19 Aug 2015, 15:47

I ordered some from [Ctrl]Alt in a recent GB, but they have said that the sliders will show up in their store upon relaunch. The relaunch should be imminent, but then again they've said so for the last couple of months.

Hypersphere

19 Aug 2015, 16:05

Khers wrote: I ordered some from [Ctrl]Alt in a recent GB, but they have said that the sliders will show up in their store upon relaunch. The relaunch should be imminent, but then again they've said so for the last couple of months.
Who makes these hybrid sliders? Is it Topre (like the ones in the CM Novatouch) or the knock-offs from China? Any info on the relative quality of each? Note that the quality of the sliders in the NT, at least in the early runs like the one I have, was not up to the standard of regular Topre switches as found in RF and HHKB.

cookie

19 Aug 2015, 16:22

Good guy Muirium!

Ohhh my god, Hybrid-Sliders for my boards!
If that ever happened I will probably end up spending more money for nice caps than for the keyboard itself, then I will truly understand how the poker folks feel!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

19 Aug 2015, 16:27

Muirium wrote: A favour. I let him borrow my beamspring caps.
You're not the only one who's got one, he did me a favor! :evilgeek:

Khers

19 Aug 2015, 16:33

Hypersphere wrote:
Khers wrote: I ordered some from [Ctrl]Alt in a recent GB, but they have said that the sliders will show up in their store upon relaunch. The relaunch should be imminent, but then again they've said so for the last couple of months.
Who makes these hybrid sliders? Is it Topre (like the ones in the CM Novatouch) or the knock-offs from China? Any info on the relative quality of each? Note that the quality of the sliders in the NT, at least in the early runs like the one I have, was not up to the standard of regular Topre switches as found in RF and HHKB.
They are knock-offs from China. BunnyLake on GH insists that they are pretty decent quality though, but we'll see. I got them for an additional $15 in a keycap GB, so it's not the end of the world if they turn out sub-par.

Muirium
µ

19 Aug 2015, 17:22

Chzel offered me a test of these hybrid sliders. He's in that same GB and, if I remember, he's interested in how they compare with Topre's sliders in the NovaTouch. Naturally, I'm up for some of that!

Hmm. I should have tried a NovaTouch slider or two in my Realforce while I was inside. Pretty sure the stabilised keys won't work so simply (the Realforce and NovaTouch handle those differently) but the single unit ones look cross compatible.

These boards aren't going anywhere. I'll investigate when I've got all the bits. Including another round of Hyper's rings!

Hypersphere

19 Aug 2015, 20:02

Anyone remember the series from the early 70s, "The Six Million Dollar Man"? ("We have the technology; we can rebuild him!").

It seems that the NT is becoming the six million dollar keyboard! No wait, that's the FC660C. Actually, it's my HHKB with the 55g domes, silencing rings, and new Topre caps . . . .

Would any of us be satisfied with any stock keyboard that is on the market?

Muirium
µ

19 Aug 2015, 20:05

There's nothing *wrong* with the HHKB Type-S or Realforce 87U. Especially compared to all the MX keyboards out there. But we're enthusiasts, inclined to tinker…

Khers

19 Aug 2015, 20:09

I'm satisified enough with my Type-S that I haven't done anything except changing the USB cord. :)

Muirium
µ

19 Aug 2015, 20:15

Same here! I use one of Paranoid's cables. The original one was a bit ugly with that mundane looking certification text running along it (more the sort of thing you'd expect on a printer) and it wound up inside my beampsring instead!

I am tempted to try a Hyper ring on the HHKB's spacebar now that I've got one on my 87U. Works wonders, with Matteo's PBT.

Hypersphere

19 Aug 2015, 20:33

My favorite board is now a black 45g HHKB with my Silencing Rings installed (and blue Topre alphas with a red blank Esc and red arrow key for Fn). This thing now thocks better than any of my other Topre-switch keyboards. It sounds and feels better than my bona fide Type-S.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

19 Aug 2015, 20:42

Damn, this is exactly what I'm planning to do with mine, plus switching boobs to 35g. I have everything to do the mod, except one Novatouch stabilizer. This is driving me nuts. :maverick:
Last edited by ramnes on 19 Aug 2015, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

cookie

19 Aug 2015, 21:15

What kind of stabilizer you need? I have a few spare stabz, PM me if you wish.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

19 Aug 2015, 22:14

A whole Novatouch stabilizer, like this:

I edited my previous post since it wasn't obvious.

Muirium
µ

19 Aug 2015, 23:03

Those stabbed sliders only work on the NovaTouch. Well, unless you have the shell as well. Note the holes for the cap's two stabiliser mounts.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

19 Aug 2015, 23:04

Yeah well, I'm searching for the shell as well, of course. ;)

Muirium
µ

19 Aug 2015, 23:07

Well, they have to mount in the Realforce's plate. I'm not sure the cutouts are the same shape. I should really remember to check next time I've both boards open! But I forgot the other night.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

19 Aug 2015, 23:10

I know for sure that they mount in a FC660C, which is what I want to mod. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work in a Realforce.

zslane

20 Aug 2015, 00:11

Muirium wrote: There's nothing *wrong* with the HHKB Type-S or Realforce 87U. Especially compared to all the MX keyboards out there.
I'm a little surprised to hear you say that, Muirium. We both know that what's "wrong" with them is their inability to take SA-family keycaps! ;)

Hypersphere

20 Aug 2015, 00:44

zslane wrote:
Muirium wrote: There's nothing *wrong* with the HHKB Type-S or Realforce 87U. Especially compared to all the MX keyboards out there.
I'm a little surprised to hear you say that, Muirium. We both know that what's "wrong" with them is their inability to take SA-family keycaps! ;)
Not only that, but the Type-S isn't black! ;)

Muirium
µ

20 Aug 2015, 00:51

Don't forget: the HHKB, just like the Realforce, has a 6.0 unit wide spacebar. Not the 6.25 so common on MX. SA doesn't (currently?) have such a spacebar. You'd have to go all the way down to 4 unit to fit on a Topre with the appropriate sliders. Blech!

As for the colour: black boards are better for taking a broader range of colours in caps. I'm typing this on a black NovaTouch with Cyrillic dyesub Granite caps, for instance. But I prefer the looks of white keyboards overall. You have a tighter constraint on caps choice, but constraints are the bedrock of all design. I'll keep my HHKB white thank you.

Hypersphere

20 Aug 2015, 19:29

I suppose one could leave the Topre spacebar in place and then get the appropriately sized bottom-row modifiers. There are also some Cherry mx boards with 6 unit spacebars (e.g., Cherry G80-1800; Razer BlackWidow), but I think that the spacing of the mounts will not match NT supports.

Muirium
µ

20 Aug 2015, 19:37

Nah. Mixing profiles is horrible. Just not worth it. Even if they look good together, try won't feel good. And that's what counts.

This is why we need custom Topre caps. We will get them, in time.

Hypersphere

20 Aug 2015, 20:51

Yes, I had momentarily forgotten that the Topre profile is different from Cherry and other profiles. For those who would like to consult a review, there is one here:

https://www.keychatter.com/keycaps/

Scroll down to "Profiles".

Return to “Keyboards”