eBay talent...

klikkyklik

20 Aug 2015, 18:06

...is apparently something i don't have. I just missed this by approximately one minute.
pcat.jpg
pcat.jpg (23.52 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
Damn, I'm pissed. Someone (or some program, probably) was really on the ball.

Anyone know of a good Chrome extension or other app that I could use to watch for particular eBay goodies and alert me immediately when they show up? If nothing exists, I will contemplate writing my own. I've been watching eBay religiously for two weeks and have only seen something like this come up once (and I missed it!!). :evil:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Aug 2015, 18:11

Has happened to me many times, with and without sniping. Don't get grumpy over it, eBay's system is supposed to work that way.

klikkyklik

20 Aug 2015, 18:13

Understood, and I could see it if it were on there for more than just a few minutes - but seriously, it couldn't have been listed for more than 15 minutes and it was gone.

seebart

20 Aug 2015, 18:15

I did not know they have that short auctions. Sure about that? That's a good price for an AT though!
Last edited by seebart on 20 Aug 2015, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

Ray

20 Aug 2015, 18:16

I think it has a BIN option there

seebart

20 Aug 2015, 18:17

Right. Like I said, at that price...badaboom.
Last edited by seebart on 20 Aug 2015, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

klikkyklik

20 Aug 2015, 18:17

It was listed at $20 or so (if I remember right) but had a Buy It Now price of $50. Unreal. That will probably never happen again. Someone got damn lucky.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

20 Aug 2015, 18:41

It was listed at $29.99 with a BIN of $50, as shown here.
The auction started at 07:46:16 PDT and ended at 07:59:17 PDT, i.e. after only 13 minutes and 1 second.

I suppose the buyer needed half of that time just to make his decision:
"Do I take the risk, considering the seller has 0 feedback?" :mrgreen:

klikkyklik

20 Aug 2015, 18:49

Honestly I'm pretty happy for the guy - he was faster than I was and deserves it! I'll just try not to fall asleep next time, if there is a next time. :)

seebart

20 Aug 2015, 19:04

0 feedback is like 100% joker.

klikkyklik

20 Aug 2015, 19:07

Yeah, good point.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

20 Aug 2015, 19:15

Rare but not unheard of. I got mine for $43.50.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391140309650

Always check to see if there is a cheaper shipping option...

klikkyklik

20 Aug 2015, 19:18

José!

Dang, man - that is a great price. Thanks, that gives me hope.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

20 Aug 2015, 19:40

Sure. Remember that "parts or not working" auctions, slightly off descriptions, and Goodwill sellers are your friend. It really takes a lot to ruin a Model F. Some may have fried controllers but with xwhatsit boards readily available that's not really a concern.

If you don't mind sifting through listings yourself you can try shopgoodwill.com. That's where Touch_It got the Skidata tipro board that is now mine.

Touch_It

25 Aug 2015, 18:24

XMIT wrote: Sure. Remember that "parts or not working" auctions, slightly off descriptions, and Goodwill sellers are your friend. It really takes a lot to ruin a Model F. Some may have fried controllers but with xwhatsit boards readily available that's not really a concern.

If you don't mind sifting through listings yourself you can try shopgoodwill.com. That's where Touch_It got the Skidata tipro board that is now mine.
Indeed. Hopefully you are enjoying it :)

Muirium
µ

25 Aug 2015, 23:49

The real talent is not using eBay. Easier said when you've a good collection already, mind, and need to cool it!

But really I got all my best boards via trades here at DT. Tinnie was a great source back in the day, and then there was Cindy. I scored a $25 AT, a $25 SSK, and a $25 Unsaver had my name on it until I was ganged up on / pleaded to let it go. Ah, but it needed a lot of fixing.

Someday another great source will arrive. Here's my advice when they do: be quick. You'll know because you'll see my tail lights.

seebart

25 Aug 2015, 23:51

Muirium wrote: The real talent is not using eBay.
Very true. Another talent is not being suckered back into using it eventough aware of the shiat rippOFF like a little grumpy mongo. :x

Muirium
µ

26 Aug 2015, 00:30

Aye, but your ebay link lists on the Great Finds thread are a bit of a DT institution. By comparison, I've only ever made as many tips as you often give in a single post! Fine, so one of mine was Halvar's SSK, yet the only reason I remember that is because I pretty much retired with that feather in my hat.

Truth be told, I don't much enjoy sleuthing around, looking for deals. I'm more of a chatter, as you might have noticed by now!

Often, that's enough. When the best action's right here, where I see it.

Return to “Keyboards”