Focus FK-2001 with Windows Key... Worth it?

Thvle

21 Aug 2015, 03:39

This keyboard:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teclado-Mecanic ... 3f1d48b571

Is it worth it for that price?

Regards!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

21 Aug 2015, 04:52

Weird! That's not very expensive at all and you are in the right place - go for it!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 Aug 2015, 08:58

For that price YES it is worth it! Looks to be in good condition. If I did not already have one I'd get it!

HzFaq

21 Aug 2015, 10:35

They're NIB IIRC. They come up in the great finds thread every now and then. I've had my eye on them for ages and will probably be picking one up soonish.

edit - Twisted the Mrs' arm, just got one :D.

Chyros

21 Aug 2015, 14:31

Mind you, these are from one of the, if not the latest generation of 2001. It should have mantis foot Alps clones which aren't all that good IMO and they stopped making the 2001's characteristic dust cover at the end so this one might not include it. Very nice doubleshot coloured caps though, and the board is one of the best-looking I know :) .

seebart

21 Aug 2015, 14:51

Good point Chyros, still a good price IMO.

Nuum

21 Aug 2015, 15:52

Chyros, are you sure that these are doubleshot keycaps? They look like pad printed to me.

Chyros

21 Aug 2015, 16:50

Actually now that you mention it, and looking at that closeup, the legends aren't coloured, they might not be doubleshot. I know they kept using doubleshots for at least *PART* of their keyboards (one of mine mysteriously has the upper rows in doubleshot, the others not) for a very long time, but I'm not too sure about these ones now.

Thvle

21 Aug 2015, 20:17

this keyboard have AT connector, right?

Findecanor

21 Aug 2015, 20:25

Thvle wrote: this keyboard have AT connector, right?
There is PS2 in the auction title and a PS/2 connector in one of the images. They are signal-compatible with AT.

7bit

21 Aug 2015, 20:28

Looks like Portuguese layout.
:cool:

BTW: If anybody knows the switches are good Alps, let me know and I buy some.
:-)

seebart

21 Aug 2015, 20:38

Like Chyros noted I believe the later revisions of these use some Alps clones which are never as "good" (except Monterey's) as real complicated Alps.

Chyros

21 Aug 2015, 22:43

seebart wrote: Like Chyros noted I believe the later revisions of these use some Alps clones which are never as "good" (except Monterey's) as real complicated Alps.
The Type OA2 clones medium-old generations of FK-2001 (and some other Focus boards) used are pretty good, not quite as smooth as the genuine article but close. Sound is decent too, though slightly more hollow and higher-pitched. They're lighter though, so people who think Alps are too stiff might like OA2s a lot more.

The Alps clones that use mantis foot leafs, such as what these appear to be, aren't very truthful to the Alps design at all, and feel and sound considerably inferior IMO, though.

Thvle

01 Sep 2015, 18:26

HzFaq

04 Sep 2015, 20:24

Mine came today, holy shit this thing is loud!

Initial observations; caps are probably printed and feel really really nice, the switches are nicely tactile (and freaking loud as hell) , the stabilized caps feel really good (I was worried about this a little) and case feels a little slack/creaky along the bottom.

I'm going to crack it open tonight to have a look at it's guts (I've already found the little window behind the 2001 in the top left where the XT/AT switch lives, mine doesn't have a switch underneath it though)

£20 well spent IMO, I'm almost tempted not to hack it to pieces...

edit - SO LOUD!

Return to “Keyboards”