Boards w/linear green Alps

klikkyklik

27 Aug 2015, 22:41

I saw a Zenith ZKB-2 come up on eBay today, but it has yellow Alps instead of the linear greens I'm pursuing.

Can someone clue me in a little on what other boards I might keep an eye out for that have linear green Alps?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

27 Aug 2015, 23:21

Link??

I REALLY want some yellow alps

klikkyklik

27 Aug 2015, 23:25

klikkyklik

27 Aug 2015, 23:27

Actually, stand by - those might be amber. The guy said they click...

scottc

27 Aug 2015, 23:29

"Clicky" is basically synonymous for "old, beige or maybe even just not a scissor switch board" in eBay terms.

klikkyklik

27 Aug 2015, 23:30

scottc wrote: "Clicky" is basically synonymous for "old, beige or maybe even just not a scissor switch board" in eBay terms.
I can agree with that! :lol:

Muirium
µ

27 Aug 2015, 23:42

Exactly. Even Cindy thought that linears were "clicky" when she first turned up at DT. It's normal human speak for "old fashioned style keyboards with big keys that move."

Anyway, over in America, I've got a green Alps Zenith of my own. The earlier ZKB1, an XT clone instead:

http://deskthority.net/post224381.html#p224381

Well, all right, they don't usually come with those MX adapters. But the clear innard doubleshots on the LED indicators are standard.

klikkyklik

27 Aug 2015, 23:44

Sigh... rub it in, Muirium, rub it in! :)

Muirium
µ

27 Aug 2015, 23:49

I might wind up selling it when I'm next over. Depends if I can figure out how to clean the switches. It's a heavy board to bring back to Scotland, especially as I've got a beamspring waiting there too!

So if you're still in need come January, get in touch.

klikkyklik

27 Aug 2015, 23:51

Noted. Thank you, sir.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

28 Aug 2015, 00:11

Hmm... I have a couple of narrow alps switches if you want to try the keyfeel. Why do you want green alps?

klikkyklik

28 Aug 2015, 00:14

The (clean) linear SKCL green Alps are reputed to be wonderfully smooth, and I've been curious about them for many months. I have a board with linear green Alps clones that I like, but I wanted to try the real thing; that switch would fill one of the many voids in my collection.

Chyros

28 Aug 2015, 00:23

Like others said, "clicky" means absolutely nothing.

As far as I know, all Zenith boards that could come with green Alps, can also come with yellow Alps, so there's no Zeniths that are 100% sure green Alps. Even the XT models could come with them! A Zenith has been high on my wish list for a long time now :D . Should make for a good review too!

klikkyklik

28 Aug 2015, 00:25

Surely there are more boards with linear green Alps than the Zenith though... I just don't know what they are. :)

Chyros

28 Aug 2015, 00:27

klikkyklik wrote: Surely there are more boards with linear green Alps than the Zenith though... I just don't know what they are. :)
The wiki lists a few alternatives. Zeniths are the most common source, though - but like I said, it's never a sure thing unless you can get a key pull picture :) .

klikkyklik

28 Aug 2015, 00:34

Understood. The keyboard referenced above initially didn't have a picture of the keyswitch, until I asked the seller if he wouldn't mind exposing a keyswitch to see what color it was. He then posted the picture of the yellow/amber, and I kind of lost interest in that particular board. I won't pull the trigger on anything unless I can see the switch, for sure.

The Wiki has a pretty good list, but didn't know how exhaustive that was.

Thanks, Thomas!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

28 Aug 2015, 01:12

I think webwit has a board with green alps in the wild duck sale.

EDIT: isn't this green alps? http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ZENITH- ... 4d36f1c826

hammelgammler
Vintage

28 Aug 2015, 01:17

Webwit said that it might be clones, so maybe no genuine green alps.

klikkyklik

28 Aug 2015, 01:19

Hmm. Well also, as much as it pains me to say, that keyboard layout is just not something I would be willing to get used to.

Thank you for the heads up on that though! What is this "wild duck sale" of which you speak?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

28 Aug 2015, 01:23

Lol I meant this: http://deskthority.net/for-sale-f55/the ... 10089.html

Also please no one buy the yellow zenith alps, I am emailing my dad to send the guy an offer.

Thanks

EDIT: Why care about the layout? Just desolder the switches and move them to something like a dell at101w.

I am doing this with my black dell.

klikkyklik

28 Aug 2015, 01:47

Yes, that's true, but frankly I was turned off by the hassle of it. Ultimately though I might consider it.

Good luck on the Zenith!

jacobolus

28 Aug 2015, 02:55

Green Alps are really nice, but only when in good condition. Most random ebay finds are going to be somewhere between slightly scratchy and completely unusable, not never-used-butter-smooth.

Save the trouble and just get some new red linear Matias switches instead. Or if you want a stiffness closer to green Alps, swap the springs between Matias linear and clicky switches (linear Matias is a bit too soft and clicky Matias is a bit too stiff, so swapping the springs makes an improvement for both, IMO).

Also, Remaus’s ebay link is definitely green Alps, but $110 is a bit steep.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

28 Aug 2015, 03:32

Good advice. I might consider that too. But yellows look so cool and I don't want to lose this chance.

klikkyklik

28 Aug 2015, 04:28

I don't see the keyboard on eBay any longer - hope it was you that got it!

Chyros

28 Aug 2015, 09:15

hammelgammler wrote: Webwit said that it might be clones, so maybe no genuine green alps.
No, I'm >99% sure those are genuine green Alps.

jacobolus

28 Aug 2015, 09:46

He’s talking about the Magitronic D-K173 that webwit is selling, with some clicky Alps clones, I think Xiang Min? Or perhaps a different clone, there were many different ones.

cf. http://deskthority.net/wiki/Xiang_Min_KSB_series http://deskthority.net/wiki/Four-tab_clone

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Aug 2015, 09:58

jacobolus wrote: Green Alps are really nice, but only when in good condition. Most random ebay finds are going to be somewhere between slightly scratchy and completely unusable, not never-used-butter-smooth.
Very true, this can be said for all Alps SKCL/SKCM series. They do not age well and are quite prone to dust and dirt. And since Alps SKCL Green are the oldest in this series it is probable that they will be in bad shape unless it's an NIB keyboard.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

28 Aug 2015, 22:19

klikkyklik wrote: I don't see the keyboard on eBay any longer - hope it was you that got it!
Nope. Someone bought it right after a counter-offer and my dad had to leave so he didn't buy it right away. :cry:

The search goes on...

klikkyklik

28 Aug 2015, 22:51

Sorry to hear that, man. I will keep my eyes open for you.

Return to “Keyboards”