Matias Linear Opinions

Harms

20 Nov 2015, 03:22

Hi everyone :) I was wondering if anyone here tried this switch here. What are your opinions on it?

I know its pretty light at 35g. Gateron Clears actually actuate at 30g according to Ripster keyboard science, so there lighter. How smooth are the Matias Linears? I also think the shorter throw on the Matias would be nice. Thanks for the input, if any :)

Muirium
µ

20 Nov 2015, 11:05

I haven't tried them, but I know the other two.

The linears are very likely the best switch Matias makes. Simply because they shouldn't suffer that ratchet of a tactile mechanism present on the clicks and quiet clicks. Add the dampers and light spring weight, and they could be quite nice.

But they will still wobble like every other Matias switch (and indeed Alps before them) so they have their familiar faults as well. Gaterons are obviously an unknown quantity when it comes to lifespan, but Alps has been traditionally bad at ageing too. MX's contact design is smarter than Alps that way.

If you want damped upstroke however (and I do) these guys could be your best switch. All depends on caps and keyboard, which is where MX and clones will put up a strong fight.

andrewjoy

20 Nov 2015, 11:47

I have tried removing the tactile leaf from a quiet click ( basically dampened white/cream alps), this is pretty much what the red Matias switch is. It does wobble , but it is super smooth. The dampening is nice as well.

Muirium
µ

20 Nov 2015, 12:13

7bit sent me a few like that, too. They're okay, but they're not as nice as linear yellow Alps.

Remember: Matias switches are developed from late "simplified" Alps. They're all a bit crappy compared to the "complicated" originals that you mentioned. There is a difference. A striking one on clicky and tactile. Less so on linear.

andrewjoy

20 Nov 2015, 12:21

I would love to try some real vintage linier alps at some point.

I also cannot wait to see how much better complicated blacks are to simplified

stratokaster

20 Nov 2015, 13:04

Muirium wrote: 7bit sent me a few like that, too. They're okay, but they're not as nice as linear yellow Alps.

Remember: Matias switches are developed from late "simplified" Alps. They're all a bit crappy compared to the "complicated" originals that you mentioned. There is a difference. A striking one on clicky and tactile. Less so on linear.
Not all complicated Alps are created equal, later blacks (as found on Dell AT101W) are competent but not really outstanding in any way. Salmons and whites on the other hand are pretty nice.

Harms

20 Nov 2015, 18:40

Thanks everyone for the input. The quiet upstroke would be really nice as it would be quiet then any MX switch (unmoded).

Wilkie

20 Nov 2015, 18:55

Haven't tried Matias, but I can confirm that Gateron Clears are very smooth, much smoother than new MX Blacks. Before getting any switch that light, though, you should try to test it. The low actuation force isn't for everyone.

Harms

20 Nov 2015, 19:48

Yea true that. I actually received gateron clears to test and there super light. The matias linear should arrive by next week to test. I think they will be more quiet.

Return to “Keyboards”