Keyboards for Mac...

Brian8bit

27 Feb 2011, 04:32

Alright chaps, I've been looking around for keyboards that are native to mac and/or OS X. The intention is to compile a substantial list that can be included in the wiki at a later date when we've got a good list. Old, new, mechanical, membrane, doesn't matter. I'd especially like to see what our far eastern readers can dig up since I'm incapable of reading moon runes and searching that way myself. So far I have;

Cherry Initial for Mac (Membrane)
Datacomp Taiwan DMK105 (ALPs)
Datacomp Taiwan DMK96 (ALPs)
Datacomp Taiwan MAC3 BT (ALPs)
Datacomp Taiwan MAC3 USB (ALPs)
DataDesk Tech Lil Big Board LB4000 (Another DMK96 rebrand?)
DataDesk Little Fingers LF2500 and LF2600
DataDesk MAC 101E
DataDesk Tech TK-3000 (DMK96 with a ball mouse instead of numpad?)
DataDesk Tech USB5000
DSI Modular Mac Keyboard (Cherry MX)
DSI Modular Keypad (Cherry MX)
DSI SMK-88 (Cherry MX)
DSI Wireless Mac Keyboard W1000M (Membrane???)
Filco FKB-97S (ALPs) (Can anyone find a landing page for this model or a site with good information?)
Goldtouch adjustable keyboard for Mac (Membrane???)
Goldtouch numeric keypad for Mac (Membrane???)
Happy Hacking Keyboard 2 (Topre)
Kinesis Ergo Freestyle Solo for Mac (Membrane)
Logitech diNovo for mac (Scissor switch)
Macally Ice Key (Scissor switch)
Macally iKey5 (Scissor switch)
Macally BT key (Scissor switch)
Macally iKey slim (Scissor switch) (Same as iKey5???)
Macally MK96 (ALPs)
Macally MK105 (Membrane???)
Macway (ALPs, appears to be rebranded Datacomp DMK96)
Macway TP-110JIS with simplified black Fukkas type 1s and a Japanese layout.
Matias Dvorak keyboard (Membrane)
Matias Half Qwerty keyboard (Membrane???)
Matias Optimiser keyboard (Membrane???)
Matias Tactile Pro (ALPs)
Matias Tactile Pro 2 (ALPs)
Matias Tactile Pro 3 (ALPs)
Matias USB2 Dock keyboard (Scissor, Membrane???)
Matias USB2 Dock + Smart phone stand keyboard (Scissor, Membrane???)
Moshi Monde Celesta (Scissor switch)
Perform 5440
Siig Suntouch Mac (ALPs, could do with a better landing page and more info)
Techcessories Dinokidz keyboard (ALPs)
Last edited by Brian8bit on 10 Mar 2011, 01:52, edited 15 times in total.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

27 Feb 2011, 06:41

Good idea!

Offhand, I only know these two that are still missing from your list:

Ancient Filco with ALPS, came in blue, white and pink:

More with ALPS, ironically also exists in a Filco rebranded version:

Also you are missing all of the Apple keyboards, but I guess they are too common/obvious?

Brian8bit

27 Feb 2011, 07:23

The Apple keyboards have a large entry on Wikipedia, so when the time comes, I'll probably just plagiarise :lol: the history of and information for those keyboards from the wikipedia site and merge it into one great big Apple/OS X entry. Though I'm sure collectively we can expand greatly on the information that wikipedia already carries.

Other useful information I suppose would be whether or not a keyboard is supported under Mac OSX (I believe the KBC poker isn't???) and where to get things like keycaps with Apple specific legends as opposed to Windows or Linux legends.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

27 Feb 2011, 09:14

SIIG Suntouch Mac

From a classified thread at gh.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

27 Feb 2011, 09:25

Brian8bit wrote: Other useful information I suppose would be whether or not a keyboard is supported under Mac OSX (I believe the KBC poker isn't???) and where to get things like keycaps with Apple specific legends as opposed to Windows or Linux legends.
I don't have my Mac anymore, so sadly I can't test the Poker. I believe it should work though, since it does not offer for nkey rollover over USB, unlike the Noppoo Choc, which breaks entirely on OSX.

Also, found one more.. seems identical to the Filco one I found besides that it uses Black Alps instead of White ones:

Macway Keyboard AD: http://i.imgur.com/BT6c4.jpg

variants include: clear case as shown above, black case, beige case.

Brian8bit

27 Feb 2011, 09:34

That Macway appears to be the same board as the Datacomp Taiwan DMK96. Any idea who the ODM would be? I'd assume the Macway is a rebranded Datacomp rather than vice versa?

The Macway appears to have a shorter right shift than the DMK96, with the up arrow to the right of the right shift, whereas on the DMK96, the arrow keys are all relegated to the bottom row.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

27 Feb 2011, 09:44

Datacomp is the original manufacturer most likely. They still produce a lot of keyboards today.

microsoft windows

27 Feb 2011, 16:21

Don't forget the Unicomp Customizer! I'm sure they can be ordered in a Mac-style configuration.

spolia_optima

28 Feb 2011, 22:24

sixty wrote:SIIG Suntouch Mac

From a classified thread at gh.
I have the PC version of this... It's actually a really nice 'board. Old complicated click ALPS.

ripster

01 Mar 2011, 02:01

I now am the proud owner of the rare and valuable Das (as in keyboard company not "the masculine") St. John's Arms keys.

Unfortunately it's mate was destroyed in Chemical Ali style experiments now facing sanctions by the UN Human Rights Council.

Rare because Das doesn't sell them anymore and now only sell Sad Penguins and EU Colored WASD keys.

Das Sad Penguin.

Original is still best. Even if it is better with dye sub to not look tooooo close.

NewGuy

06 Mar 2011, 03:51

Are Mac-specific keyboards really necessary? It seems like that would limit your choices considerably, and OSX has the option to remap the modifier keys built in, if you are used to using a Mac layout where the Windows [alt] key position is equivalent to [ctrl]

mikethebboy

07 Mar 2011, 08:17

I am also on a mac and have ordered a keyboard made for windows, anyone know where i can find replacement caps for command?

pita

07 Mar 2011, 10:55

DSI modular mac is not bad, but don't pay more than 100 USD for it.

kachaffeous

07 Mar 2011, 17:30

ripster wrote: Das Sad Penguin.

Where can you buy that Tux key?

Pylon

08 Mar 2011, 22:25

I have a Macway TP-110JIS with simplified black Fukkas type 1s and a Japanese layout.

Brian8bit

09 Mar 2011, 01:13

Pylon wrote:I have a Macway TP-110JIS with simplified black Fukkas type 1s and a Japanese layout.
Thanks! Added to the list.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

10 Mar 2011, 01:19

One more:

Performa 5440 (ALPS)

No further info, sorry.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

10 Mar 2011, 01:29

I'm on a roll tonight, one more:

DataDesk TK3000:

http://cafe.naver.com/sfkey/343

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Mar 2011, 01:38

whitemini.jpg
whitemini.jpg (6.21 KiB) Viewed 13633 times

sixty
Gasbag Guru

10 Mar 2011, 01:48

HHKB?

Also why do 90% of all vintage mac keyboards look the same?!
Then again, could say the same about PC keyboards I guess. Al look like Model F or Model Ms.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Mar 2011, 01:51

I don't know anything about that keyboard, so it doesn't count. But it looked Mac to me. It might be an earlier HHKB version but did these come in white?

Brian8bit

10 Mar 2011, 01:54

I added the DataDesk boards. DataDeskTech seem to still be producing. They still have a website. As for the boards all looking the same, I think the DataComp DMK96 seems to be a popular chassis that many boards seem to use. There's a few DataDeskTech boards I added that again look like DMK96 but with the numpad replaced with the ball mouse like the TK3000. Same for the Performa 5440.

For the Performa 5440, look at the DMK96... http://www.datacomp.com.tw/dmk96.htm stick a row of keys up where they're blank on the DMK96 and replace the numpad with the ball mouse thing.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

10 Mar 2011, 01:56

Now this reminds me, I think there also is a kids version with hilariously tiny keys that looks exactly like the TK3000. Let me find that again.. I know its somewhere on geekhack.

nathanscribe

13 Mar 2011, 16:05

Brian8bit wrote:Macally MK105 (Membrane???)
Definitely membrane. I have one that nobody seems to want, including me.

nathanscribe

13 Mar 2011, 16:08

mikethebboy wrote:I am also on a mac and have ordered a keyboard made for windows, anyone know where i can find replacement caps for command?
I bought a set of blank Filco caps and just use the blank domes for that job. I also replaced the Print/Scroll/Pause set with blanks. I have them mapped to mute/vol down/vol up.

nathanscribe

13 Mar 2011, 16:13

NewGuy wrote:Are Mac-specific keyboards really necessary?
No. I'm using a Filco tenkeyless with mine, and it's fine. Remapping Alt/Win is a piece of cake, and I found some software called Spark that let me easily remap the mute/vol down/vol up keys to the unused print/scroll lock/pause. I'm sure there're better tools out there for that, but Spark is easy and free.

Other than that, the only thing I find I still faff with is £. I tend to hit Ctrl+3 instead, or struggle to even remember where it is... no brain.

xbb

13 Mar 2011, 17:55

nathanscribe wrote:
NewGuy wrote:Are Mac-specific keyboards really necessary?
No. I'm using a Filco tenkeyless with mine, and it's fine. Remapping Alt/Win is a piece of cake, and I found some software called Spark that let me easily remap the mute/vol down/vol up keys to the unused print/scroll lock/pause. I'm sure there're better tools out there for that, but Spark is easy and free.

Other than that, the only thing I find I still faff with is £. I tend to hit Ctrl+3 instead, or struggle to even remember where it is... no brain.
I'm also using Filco, no problems so far... remapped alt/win.
IBM Model M works too, I remapped alt to cmd, ctrl to option (alt) and caps lock to ctrl

nathanscribe

13 Mar 2011, 18:04

xbb wrote:I'm also using Filco, no problems so far... remapped alt/win.
IBM Model M works too, I remapped alt to cmd, ctrl to option (alt) and caps lock to ctrl
Before the Filco, I used a Unicomp space saver - bought with the mac key set (a pair each of Option/Command and a blank). Nice, but too big for my ungenerous pull-out shelf... hence the tenkeyless.

Did you replace the caps lock key at all?

xbb

13 Mar 2011, 18:32

nathanscribe wrote:
xbb wrote:I'm also using Filco, no problems so far... remapped alt/win.
Before the Filco, I used a Unicomp space saver - bought with the mac key set (a pair each of Option/Command and a blank). Nice, but too big for my ungenerous pull-out shelf... hence the tenkeyless.

Did you replace the caps lock key at all?
No, I'm just using it with an USB adapter, no modifications at all, just remapped the caps lock (you can from the standard preferences) to ctrl

mecano

16 Dec 2014, 22:06

nathanscribe wrote:
Brian8bit wrote:Macally MK105 (Membrane???)
Definitely membrane. I have one that nobody seems to want, including me.
Last time I checked mine (made in taiwan ISO) it had pcb mounted white alps likes.

[edit] Sorry membrane, I dig it out and opened it to be sure : membrane, membrane, membrane.
Last edited by mecano on 16 Jan 2015, 15:33, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Keyboards”