Topre switch / Cherry MX compatible

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

13 Dec 2013, 10:17

Thoughts?

Japanese Topre 45g with cherry MX key cap compatibility. Tenkeyless low profile slim and clean body.

Let us know what you think, feedback is greatly appreciated! :D!

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

13 Dec 2013, 10:23

I am thinking when can we buy one?
Also, will it be the same bottomrow as on the QFR and what stabilizers will be used? what are those keycaps?

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

13 Dec 2013, 10:44

Hey Broadmonkey...

Not yet for sale but are you that interested that you want to buy one already :D? We are just teasing some forums like this one to get some feedback on the product..

The keycaps in this picture are just blank cherry key caps.. Final product will have letters on it off course.. :) About the layout it is the same as the QFR but with Topre Switches in stead of Cherry MX Switches...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Dec 2013, 11:03

glad to see CM finally decided to participate to DT too :)

that being said. Sell the sliders alone :) there's a business just for that!

ETA? (sorry had to ask)

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

13 Dec 2013, 11:05

Yeah, I am really interested in one and if the price is not as premium as most Topre based keyboards, I will definitely buy one!
Regarding the keycaps, I asked to them because they look higher quality than what is currently used on your QFR, but I guess you will just be using the same as the QFR?

But to give some initial feedback. I think the case looks slick if it is kept clean and simple. The idea (which have been teased for some time now) of using Cherry key caps with Topre switches is a crucial selling point for a lot of people, especially on these kinds of forums and when you already implement a standard bottomrow.
I have never tried Topre switches, but I guess 45g is a good choice.

scottc

13 Dec 2013, 11:08

Very, very interesting. Nice! :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Dec 2013, 11:12

I would have liked 55gr as well... but hey you can't have everything, can you? :)

anyway what worries me is this:
topremx.jpg
topremx.jpg (24.82 KiB) Viewed 29242 times
That is a dent used by topre caps but worthless on cherry mx... actually you can't fit a "standard" cherry MX into the slider as pictured above. So my question is: does CM use specially crafted cherry MX? (it would be a non-sense of course... but you know...)

Kurk

13 Dec 2013, 11:31

Certainly interested.
Any chance for DIP switches to change Ctrl-Caps and also for other layouts (Dvorak, Colemak)?
And please, keep the branding to a minimum. Having "CM Storm", "Quick Fire" and that curly logo written all over the place conveys an impression of cheapness and low quality.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Dec 2013, 11:53

anyway: please put one in pre-order for me :P

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

13 Dec 2013, 14:19

matt3o wrote:glad to see CM finally decided to participate to DT too :)

that being said. Sell the sliders alone :) there's a business just for that!

ETA? (sorry had to ask)
Yes I am here and here to stay... Also for CM questions feel free to send me a message! About ETA I cannot say as you can understand. But as you can see we are working on it ;)
Broadmonkey wrote:Yeah, I am really interested in one and if the price is not as premium as most Topre based keyboards, I will definitely buy one!
Regarding the keycaps, I asked to them because they look higher quality than what is currently used on your QFR, but I guess you will just be using the same as the QFR?

But to give some initial feedback. I think the case looks slick if it is kept clean and simple. The idea (which have been teased for some time now) of using Cherry key caps with Topre switches is a crucial selling point for a lot of people, especially on these kinds of forums and when you already implement a standard bottomrow.
I have never tried Topre switches, but I guess 45g is a good choice.
Ah I now understand your question. It will not be the same key caps as on the QFR. These will be as premium quality key cap as we can put on there.. Also different font style as our Cherry mechanical keyboards..

Thanks for the rest of the feedback!
matt3o wrote:I would have liked 55gr as well... but hey you can't have everything, can you? :)

anyway what worries me is this:
topremx.jpg
That is a dent used by topre caps but worthless on cherry mx... actually you can't fit a "standard" cherry MX into the slider as pictured above. So my question is: does CM use specially crafted cherry MX? (it would be a non-sense of course... but you know...)
See this picture here. Some normal cherry key caps from other Keyboards of ours fits just fine... One of the nice selling points of this keyboard imo ;)

@ all the rest, thanks for the feedback so far. Good to see the interest! Keep the feedback and questions coming!

Muirium
µ

13 Dec 2013, 14:25

Very promising indeed!

I bet some of us here would be up for a version without caps, seeing as we're into fitting our own doubleshots and sphericals like these:

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t6732.html

Although if you are going the same direction as Filco lately, and sourcing the good stuff from Signature Plastics, then go right ahead!

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

13 Dec 2013, 14:30

Kurk wrote:Certainly interested.
Any chance for DIP switches to change Ctrl-Caps and also for other layouts (Dvorak, Colemak)?
And please, keep the branding to a minimum. Having "CM Storm", "Quick Fire" and that curly logo written all over the place conveys an impression of cheapness and low quality.
We try to make it as 'clean' as possible. About naming I cannot comment on this stage :P
matt3o wrote:anyway: please put one in pre-order for me :P
Alright sir I will write that down :mrgreen: haha! :evilgeek: :lol:

Muirium
µ

13 Dec 2013, 14:32

CM Bram wrote: We try to make it as 'clean' as possible.
That's what we want hear!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Dec 2013, 14:32

CM Bram wrote:See this picture here. Some normal cherry key caps from other Keyboards of ours fits just fine... One of the nice selling points of this keyboard imo ;)
Spoiler:
yeah! I managed to have you post one more picture! :)

will these be available in Europe together with the US release?
Muirium wrote:Although if you are going the same direction as Filco lately, and sourcing the good stuff from Signature Plastics, then go right ahead!
I have the feeling they will be using the same caps as of the QF...

cookie

13 Dec 2013, 14:40

Welcome to DT :)

I owned 2 CM Storm QFR and can say you guys did some good things on it!
BUT, I kinda evolved as typist to use 60% keyboards. Currently I use Happy Hacking keyboards but lets put this aside.

The two main reasons why I sold my Quickfires was that they were totally overbranded, this is something I don't like and I bet you guys already got feedback on that because you reacted to it verry quickly.

The other thing were the keycaps, I had to replace them because they turned shiny really quick (in about 3 weeks). I'd like to have really nice, thick, large grained PBT caps on it. Use topre as example, their caps are by far the best I have ever typed on! The lettering was also kinda odd... I didn't like the font you used there. I anyway prefere blank caps over lettered once but if you will print them I'd do it like on the CM Storm Stealth! So, if you wan't to drag the more picky customers on board, you need a overall nice product. Cheap caps on superior switches won't work, believe me.

If the price is okay and competitive to Realforce/PFU I'd buy at least one for the sliders.

If you would just only sell the sliders... a dream would come true. I can't see myself switching from 60% HHKB back to tenkeyless or even worse fullsize in the future. But I'd like to use MX caps on my Topre devices.

I hope our feedback will help you guys, I'd like to see more Topre based procuts in the future :)

Edit: Man I mean it, I'd pay good euros just for the sliders! :D

Muirium
µ

13 Dec 2013, 14:57

Now that you mention it: PBT is a good direction to go. Ducky does some really nice extra thick PBT caps:

There's a reason why this guy won the DT award for best brand. Be crazy like that!

With these hybrid Topres, you're off to a good start.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Dec 2013, 15:23

prepare yourself for a full PBT group buy really soon :) (spacebar included)

Muirium
µ

13 Dec 2013, 15:46

I'm guessing DSA. I'm hoping dyesubs. And I'm praying I can afford it!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Dec 2013, 15:49

well DCS PBT can be found elsewhere and we miss tooling for a full PBT SA, so...

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

13 Dec 2013, 16:30

Muirium wrote:
CM Bram wrote: We try to make it as 'clean' as possible.
That's what we want hear!
Haha good :P :D!
matt3o wrote:
will these be available in Europe together with the US release?
We are looking into the interest from EU market (one of the reasons this topic :) :) )... Neither for US or EU I can confirm anything on launch :)
cookie wrote:Welcome to DT :)

I owned 2 CM Storm QFR and can say you guys did some good things on it!
BUT, I kinda evolved as typist to use 60% keyboards. Currently I use Happy Hacking keyboards but lets put this aside.

The two main reasons why I sold my Quickfires was that they were totally overbranded, this is something I don't like and I bet you guys already got feedback on that because you reacted to it verry quickly.

The other thing were the keycaps, I had to replace them because they turned shiny really quick (in about 3 weeks). I'd like to have really nice, thick, large grained PBT caps on it. Use topre as example, their caps are by far the best I have ever typed on! The lettering was also kinda odd... I didn't like the font you used there. I anyway prefere blank caps over lettered once but if you will print them I'd do it like on the CM Storm Stealth! So, if you wan't to drag the more picky customers on board, you need a overall nice product. Cheap caps on superior switches won't work, believe me.

If the price is okay and competitive to Realforce/PFU I'd buy at least one for the sliders.

If you would just only sell the sliders... a dream would come true. I can't see myself switching from 60% HHKB back to tenkeyless or even worse fullsize in the future. But I'd like to use MX caps on my Topre devices.

I hope our feedback will help you guys, I'd like to see more Topre based procuts in the future :)

Edit: Man I mean it, I'd pay good euros just for the sliders! :D
About the branding you can read above that we aim for a very clean look and also the keycaps will be a higher quality key cap and other font than normal QF keyboards. And thanks for the other feedback ;)..

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Dec 2013, 17:17

there's nothing more left to say other than

Daniel Beardsmore

13 Dec 2013, 19:15

I am a bit sad that Diatec changed the Filco badge from gold to dark grey — maybe CM could put those delicately ridged (i.e. the opposite of Walkers Max) gold badges back onto keyboards.

Now here is the question:

Should CM use Cherry, DSA or OEM profile keycaps? DSA profile might make the most sense if the stock keycaps are to be high quality, as then you could selectively replace keycaps with ones from Signature Plastics, e.g. I've replaced ctrl, alt and arrows on my Filco with Cherry/DSA profile keycaps and they look out of place against the stock keycaps.

IvanIvanovich

13 Dec 2013, 21:23

All I know is I want the Cherry profile keycaps shown in the first teaser photo. CM should make those also available separately as an aftermarket upgrade keycap set for QFR/XT. Even better still would be to switch to those across the board. IT would give a clear quality advantage to almost all the competition product.

rindorbrot

13 Dec 2013, 23:00

I hope that an ISO version will be available.
Then I might have to get one...

cookie

13 Dec 2013, 23:00

Thanks for the fast reply!

I am afraight that those spacebar will not fit on HHKB :( Apropos spacebar, how is this solved?

bianco

14 Dec 2013, 10:59

CM Bram wrote: See this picture here. Some normal cherry key caps from other Keyboards of ours fits just fine... One of the nice selling points of this keyboard imo ;)

@ all the rest, thanks for the feedback so far. Good to see the interest! Keep the feedback and questions coming!
this just might make me jump back to cm again.
kudos on the amazing development
i don't mind the switches missing out on the LED/bling and the clean look is nice so far based on the partial pics.

but are you considering:
1, making a full layout board?
2, or a separate numpad? (assuming that the pic quoted is from one)
3, or a 55g version?

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

14 Dec 2013, 11:26

Okay, I am just going to throw this out.
Is those new stems developed by CM or are they in fact made by Topre themselves?
I ask because Topre has stopped making key caps themselves, or at least selling them separately. It would make sense for Topre to make them compatible with Cherry keycaps as there is a larger support and more companies already have molds for it, plus it would be a great selling point if Topre is trying to enter a lower price segment (which it seems).

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Dec 2013, 11:29

it doesn't seem a good idea to buy a topre board right now... :)

Findecanor

14 Dec 2013, 11:35

If we are going to wish keycap properties in this thread, then here is my wish list:
- PBT. Personally, i don't notice much difference between thick and thin PBT. I suppose that thin PBT cracks more easily if you mishandle the keyboard, but who does?
- Grainy texture on the top of the keycaps, like Signature Plastics DCS profile and Topre Realforce.
Even though finer-grained ABS provides more friction against your finger tips, grainy PBT is superior, and keeps its texture the longest. Paint is worst.
- Do proper Swedish-Finnish, Norwegian and Danish layouts - not the "Nordic layout" bullcrap. I prefer blank keycaps over "Nordic".
Some rubber dome keyboards come with extra keys for other layouts and a keycap puller and you could do the same. If you are going to ship "gaming keys" with the keyboard you will already be shipping the keycap puller. Four extra keys, beside four gaming keys and 104-108 normal keys is not much of a stretch. The big difficulty is the production line - if the keys are going to be printed while they are on the keyboard or not.
- Signature Plastic-profile on most keys, which is the same as Cherry-profile except the ZXCV-row which has a more acute angle. This is lower profile than the predominant "OEM profile". Less key wobble, lower-profile keyboard.
- Keep level struts inside the keys so that "landing pads", "O-rings" or "orthodontic rubber bands" can be used to dampen the stroke.
- Space bar-profile on the modifiers on the bottom row. Who does not use the thumbs for pressing the Alt keys?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Dec 2013, 11:42

and please please please if you go PBT go PBT all the way (spacebar included!!!)

Return to “Keyboards”