New Controller for KishSaver and Other Model F

wcass

01 Jan 2014, 07:41

A new controller is working in a few different keyboards now; KishSaver and 122. It should also work for other IBM F type keyboards that use the 30-pin connected controllers such as the Unsaver, AT, and the 50 key. The XT and Model C have controllers built on the same PCB as the matrix, so it would not work on these without significant changes. It is called the DPH controller after the developers; dfj, Parak, and HaTaa. It is based on dfj’s design that he talked about back in August of 2011. Parak is doing PCB design and HaTaa is coding. The development is currently in ALPHA. Once it is out of Beta, there will be a group buy. I’ll do my best to answer questions while those guys work on the controller.

There are a few Model F keyboards working with this controller right now, but it currently requires an oscilloscope to tune each board (I did say this is ALPHA, right). HaTaa is working on “automatic threshold leveling” to fix that. A user interface for key mapping and macros is not done yet, so that must be done in the source. Windows and OSX compile of code are untested. If you are an EE or coder with an oscilloscope and want to get involved, ask me about getting a PCB. You can play with the LGPL source code at …
https://gitorious.org/kiibohd-controller/capsense-beta/

PCB info to come.

So I have some questions for the folks reading this … do you expect to get one from a group buy (KishSaver owners – I’m looking at you) and how would you like to get it (bare PCB, bare PCB and parts, assembled but un-programmed, or “can I ship you my board and have someone just make it work for me?”

tinnie

01 Jan 2014, 08:04

Glad to hear that!

Muirium
µ

01 Jan 2014, 11:30

I'll definitely have one for my Kishsaver! I'd like it with the surface mount components already in, if possible, because those buggers look tricky. Assuming, of course, this controller has them. Extra points for the project if it's as through-hole as the original!

So is the hardware mostly final and the software autotune the alpha part? If so I could be in for an early board, and some oscilloscope time. I'm not an engineer but I'm friendly with many.

rindorbrot

01 Jan 2014, 12:15

Hooray! Sounds like a great start in the new year.
I'll definitely be in for one when the group buy comes.

I'd like mine either in parts or if it will require SMD then at least pre-assembled.
Last edited by rindorbrot on 01 Jan 2014, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

wheybags

01 Jan 2014, 12:58

I would too!
if I had a kishaver ;(

Muirium
µ

01 Jan 2014, 13:04

Someday, once CNC and 3D printing and sharks and lasers are ready for it, we must run a GB for brand new Kishsavers too! I'd have one of these:
Think it might be the more likely way we'd ever get it…

Ascaii
The Beard

01 Jan 2014, 13:14

id be in. basic soldering is no prob, but i would appreciate smd components to be preassembled

Muirium
µ

01 Jan 2014, 16:14

Requires specialized hardware in order to use. Only supports Teensy 2.0 ++
Right, my Tipro++ build is switching down to a (crowded) Teensy 2 to clear my Teensy++ for this Priority One project!

Wonder if Soarer can port his controller to this hardware. That would make my layers and macros so much easier…

xbb

01 Jan 2014, 16:24

group buy! pcb and parts

Game Theory
Mr. Despair

01 Jan 2014, 16:33

bare PCB and parts, assembled but un-programmed, or “can I ship you my board and have someone just make it work for me?” any of these is prefered by me.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Jan 2014, 17:05

Assembled but un-programmed x1.

wcass

01 Jan 2014, 20:04

PCB development is here:
https://gitorious.org/ibm-capsense-pcb

All of the prototype boards have been through hole, but many of the IC components that IBM used are no longer available so multiple discrete chips have been substituted. Chip count is about 50 compared to IBM’s 25’ish. Cramming all that into less than 10 square inches is challenging enough. But this project was originally started to create a replacement controller for all IBM capacitive keyboards, each with its own “keep-out” areas. Respecting all of those may require further miniaturization, so the final design might be surface mount. In any case, I’ll try adapting my XTant project (XT case and parts but new layout) to use this controller too. Economics of scale.

About those keep-out areas, let’s take a look at the original controller in the Kishsaver case. This first picture has the controller and key assembly mounted to the top cover (flipped over). All cables attach to the top side of the PCB (hidden).
bottom marked.JPG
bottom marked.JPG (106.58 KiB) Viewed 15430 times
The next pictures are of the right side of the controller (middle of the keyboard). You can see the 3 pin header that goes to the daughter board. The USB cable is thrown in only for size comparison.
top right.JPG
top right.JPG (220.8 KiB) Viewed 15430 times
bottom right.JPG
bottom right.JPG (240.26 KiB) Viewed 15430 times
And left side of the controller (left side of case). Again, the USB cable is thrown in only for size comparison.
top left.JPG
top left.JPG (222.49 KiB) Viewed 15430 times
bottom left.JPG
bottom left.JPG (186.67 KiB) Viewed 15430 times
bottom left1.JPG
bottom left1.JPG (223.22 KiB) Viewed 15430 times
You can see that there is no room for a standard USB cable exiting to the back of the case. It also looks like the sides above the controller mount screws are a bad choice because there is just not enough room for the USB jack. There does appear to be room on the left and right sides below the mount screws on both the top and bottom of the board for a mini or micro USB jack. All of the above is assuming that the USB jack is at the edge of the PCB. An issue with putting the USB jack in the interior is that it would require additional clearance which is not as abundant on the Kishsaver as on other IBM’s. There is slightly more room on the top than on the bottom. There would of course be room for non-traditional USB connections such as direct wire-to-board or double-row bent pin (like the original controller).

By the way, I will be posting both here and at GH. I'm getting questions from both communities and will deliver updates and answers to both.

Muirium
µ

01 Jan 2014, 20:41

Looks good. The Kishsaver case has an existing cable hole (as used in the last picture) and a coin-sized circular opening on the bottom where (what I assume to be) the volume dial is for the speaker / solenoid on the daughter board (top left on the first picture). A simple cabled option is to do as IBM did. But a socket could be hidden in the circular opening underneath if desired.

Or am I alone in wanting rid of the noise maker?

REVENGE

02 Jan 2014, 03:32

Great work! 3 Cheers for D, P, and H!

Count me in for 2-4 PCBs depending on cost.

Oh, I suppose this depends on the size of the components you select.

02 Jan 2014, 04:26

This is really great. I'd totally be wanting a few of these when it's complete.

Great work.

Monster-Toys

02 Jan 2014, 20:12

Great :mrgreen:
I will buy (at least ... depending on price) one (assembled ... i am not a good engineer, more a wannabe-artist. Will I be able to install and programm it with some forum-help?).

Greetings, MT

nourathar

11 Jan 2014, 22:39

this is fantastic work; I'm impressed !!
Count me in for one or two of these; don't mind soldering at all as long it is not smd...

J.

12 Jan 2014, 00:00

Deffinately will be down for a few. Preffer the assembled version.

rindorbrot

08 Feb 2014, 01:03

Bump! Any news on this?
The visual restoration of my kishy will be complete soon, getting my hands on a controller for it would be awesome.

wcass

08 Feb 2014, 01:29

HaaTa is still working on "auto-tuning" (so that a oscilloscope is not needed) and building/improving the user interface. The latest version of the PCB took a while to come from the manufacturer. Test fit in a KS works, but is not as good as they would like it to be, so there will probably be another revision.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13176014@N03/11895955434/

REVENGE

08 Feb 2014, 10:52

Sweet! It even looks retro with all that through hole. :D

rindorbrot

08 Feb 2014, 11:14

OK thanks for the news.
Keep up the great work!

wcass

15 Feb 2014, 20:35

An interesting developments; Hasu managed to to find a hidden "feature" of the native Kishsaver controller. He found that you can send a command to the controller that tells it to send break codes for ALL keys. This discovery means that a converter is a valid option for Kishsaver owners.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54706.0

Muirium
µ

15 Feb 2014, 20:41

Oh wow! Fantastic stuff!!

As I'm not a big fan of the original cable, I think I'll try an internal version of this converter, and pop a Teensy straight inside, with a USB cable coming out the hole instead.

Topre Enthusiast

15 Feb 2014, 23:19

Great work, hasu! (and Soarer as acknowledged).
Can't wait to get my converter and try it out :mrgreen:

rindorbrot

16 Feb 2014, 00:59

When the Teensy arrives, I will try it out as well!

hasu

16 Feb 2014, 02:20

This converter with special serial no. 002 is on the way to AU. Enjoy, 002 :D

For those who are interested, my converter has some limitations:
1. Keyboard(6019284) has only *3-byte* key buffer.
2. Keyboard has same scancode on both Alt key. You can't use different scancodes on those.
3. My converter is naively *polling* at not so fast speed.
Due to 1. and 3. you probably will see missing keys and transposing keys at very fast typing.(my wpm is less than 60 and I don't have a problem) To solve or mitigate this problem we can use *interrupt* method instead of polling.

Replacing controller board doesn't has these limitations. It is still very intriguig option to squeeze every last drop of its power out of this keyboard.

Muirium
µ

16 Feb 2014, 02:27

Nice stuff Hasu! Reckon it's easy enough to skip the IBM cable entirely and go straight to Teensy via the blue connector? If so, I might have this running tomorrow!

hasu

16 Feb 2014, 02:34

Yes, it is completely possible. You can see color of lines on my picture above.

Muirium
µ

16 Feb 2014, 02:36

Awesome! Will report back once I have it working. Cheers Hasu.

Return to “Keyboards”