IBM 5155 Model F Keyboard

sean4star

19 Mar 2014, 19:23

I picked up an IBM 5155 "Portable" Personal Computer at Goodwill the other day. The machine itself doesn't seem to work, but really I just wanted the keyboard, so no problem there.

The keyboard:
A little dingy, but not too bad…

Opening the case:
There are three little tabs holding the darker beige cover to the main case. All three are at the top of the board with one on the left, center and right. The plastic is fragile!!!

With the case open and the caps off…I hadn’t figured out how to get the spacebar off yet.
The guts of the keyboard are held to the case by those two brass screws, one on each side.

Spacebar stabilizer hooks from underneath
Don’t do what I did – I couldn’t see any stabilizer, so I just pulled and eventually one side of the spacebar popped free. I easily could have snapped the plastic that hooks onto the stabilizer, luckily I didn’t. The only way to get to the stabilizer and unhook it from the spacebar is to separate the backplate and the barrel frame…
Here you can see a hint of the PCB through the stabilizer guide hole. When you look under the spacebar all you see are three plastic barrels, one in the middle (the actual buckling spring) and one on each side for the stabilizer.

Construction:
I’ve read that this keyboard does not have a metal plate inside of it. This confuses me since the whole thing appears to be made of metal! The keyboard is a sandwich of two metal plates, the backplate and a top plate. They both are made with the same curve so they spoon together perfectly. The backplate is a solid piece of metal, no holes through it (for rivets) like in a typical Model M. The PCB is curved and attached to the backplate with 2 large metal brads.

Backplate and PCB:

Grounding wire is attached to the PCB
Back – grounding screw goes through the PCB and attaches to the backplate

Heavy duty cable connector!

The top plate is both a solid black backdrop for the keycaps and also the frame that holds the barrels for the switches. The top plate has hooked tabs that interlock with the backplate to hold everything together.

Hooked tabs, 5 per side, hold the two plates tightly together:
One tab folded over to “lock” the plates together:
I had to bend this back to slide the 2 plates apart.

There is a foam mat between the top plate and the barrels/buckling springs. I’m guessing this helps with noise reduction and vibration. It is also sticky on both sides. I think this may help prevent dust etc from working between the plates. Everything was very clean in here…

Removed backplate and PCB:
Here you can see the stabilizer, under the top plate and completely unreachable without taking the whole keyboard apart!

Metal frame for the barrels before cleaning.

There was a match-head in the keyboard…

Cleaning the caps:
Laundry detergent and warm water. The water turned an ugly shade of brown almost instantly!

A beautiful clean keyboard!
The plastic and textures have held up amazingly well. With it clean it looks almost brand new!

“Portable” Personal Computer!!! I love it!

Next Steps:
Figure out how to use Soarer’s Converter and get this board back in circulation!

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2014, 19:28

Nice work. What does the other end of the cable look like? Soarer's Converter will handle XT/AT, but if it's something funny like the Kishsaver, it will need the replacement controller that's under development.

mr_a500

19 Mar 2014, 19:32

I just got my Teensy in the mail today and I'm making an adapter for the 5155. I'm using this:
adapter.JPG
The Teensy fits inside it and the pins fit through the Teensy holes quite nicely - no soldering required. (though I don't know if I'll be able to push it back in the case when connected - the wires are a bit stiff)

I just need to remap some keys with Soarer's code and load the Teensy.

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2014, 19:35

So it's XT or what?

My Kishsaver is 4 pin, too, on a wire just like that. But the only luck I've had running a converter is Hasu's experimental one, which has issues with repeating keys. The replacement controller will be the real answer for that one.

sean4star

19 Mar 2014, 19:36

Yes, mine looks to be the same as mr_a500. What is that adapter you are using?

I don't have a picture handy, but it looks like a telephone jack, but with 6 wires. The funny thing is, only 4 of the wires are used. If you look at the "Heavy duty cable connector" pic you can clearly see there are only 4 wires that actually connect to the circuit.

I've successfully gotten hasu's firmware working, but I haven't really delved into Soarer's converter yet. I know hasu's firmware doesn't support the capacitive keyboards...

sean4star

19 Mar 2014, 19:38

I thought I had read somewhere that the 5155 keyboard was XT...but I could be mistaken.

mr_a500

19 Mar 2014, 19:40

I got the adapter here:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/190983996689

The 5155 is XT. Yes, I too noticed the strangeness of using a 6 pin connector when only 4 pins are used.

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2014, 19:41

Then you are good to go with Soarer's converter. Just hook the four cables up to the right pins on the Teensy and load the .hex file and you're started.

sean4star

19 Mar 2014, 19:42

Is there an idiot's guide on using Soarer's Converter? I'm reading the forum thread but I'm afraid I'm missing something. I have the v1.12 downloaded but can't make much sense of the files...

sean4star

19 Mar 2014, 19:44

mr_a500 wrote:I got the adapter here:

The 5155 is XT. Yes, I too noticed the strangeness of using a 6 pin connector when only 4 pins are used.
And the Teensy 2.0 fits inside the body of the adapter?

mr_a500

19 Mar 2014, 19:47

It does by itself. I'm not sure I can get it back in once connected. We'll see. (I have a backup if I fuck it up. :D)

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2014, 19:48

sean4star wrote:Is there an idiot's guide on using Soarer's Converter? I'm reading the forum thread but I'm afraid I'm missing something. I have the v1.12 downloaded but can't make much sense of the files...
Download this:

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/loader.html

Run it. Then hook up your Teensy via USB, press the little reset button on the board, and flash it with this file from Soarer's archive:

Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega32u4.hex

Then it's on to wiring, and then you're done!

sean4star

19 Mar 2014, 20:17

mr_a500 wrote:I got the adapter here:

Have you figured out the proper wiring? I don't see this connector in soarer's converter docs.

sean4star

19 Mar 2014, 20:19

sean4star wrote:Is there an idiot's guide on using Soarer's Converter? I'm reading the forum thread but I'm afraid I'm missing something. I have the v1.12 downloaded but can't make much sense of the files...

Urgh! I see what I was missing. I had downloaded all the v1.12 files, but you also need the v1.10 zip to get all the tools etc. Maybe now I can make some sense of it...

mr_a500

19 Mar 2014, 20:33

sean4star wrote: Have you figured out the proper wiring? I don't see this connector in soarer's converter docs.
I'm going by the wiring this guy did:
http://www.brimstudio.org/2013/10/ibm-model-f-restore/

Hopefully he was right. I don't want to wire it wrong and fry my controller.

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2014, 21:06

JBert

19 Mar 2014, 21:30

sean4star wrote:I picked up an IBM 5155 "Portable" Personal Computer at Goodwill the other day. The machine itself doesn't seem to work, but really I just wanted the keyboard, so no problem there.

[unhooked spacebar pic]
Don’t do what I did – I couldn’t see any stabilizer, so I just pulled and eventually one side of the spacebar popped free. I easily could have snapped the plastic that hooks onto the stabilizer, luckily I didn’t. The only way to get to the stabilizer and unhook it from the spacebar is to separate the backplate and the barrel frame…
Heh, I heard that's a classic way to lose an afternoon.

If you want some hints getting it back together again or want to tweak the spacebar's weight while you're at it, check my Model F (dis)assembly tips. My only gripe is that I didn't take pictures...

sean4star

19 Mar 2014, 21:47

I got it back together with no problem. But I like your point about the spring weight. I didn't say earlier that the keys all feel great, except the spacebar is *amazingly* stiff. Making the spacebar actuation force lighter may be worth taking it all apart again!

sean4star

19 Mar 2014, 21:49

Is this for a Model F or a Kishaver? My 5155 only has red, white, black, and brown. No orange or yellow. Any suggestions for a safe way to test this without ruining the controller?

JBert

19 Mar 2014, 22:03

The pictured converter is for a Kishsaver, so that might not be relevant.

sean4star

19 Mar 2014, 22:07

Found this in Soarer's converter thread:

Soarer wrote:I think they vary... at least, the PC/XT colours are different to the 122-key's.

Let me know exactly which keyboards and I'll check my 'boards to see. Pics of the cable inside the keyboard would help to verify that yours matches mine!

Here's a couple of pics I had handy :D

Inside a PC/XT keyboard...

This also matches what mr_a500 posted...

ShawnMeg

15 Jun 2014, 04:13

sean4star wrote:I picked up an IBM 5155 "Portable" Personal Computer at Goodwill the other day. The machine itself doesn't seem to work, but really I just wanted the keyboard, so no problem there.

The keyboard:
A little dingy, but not too bad…

Opening the case:
There are three little tabs holding the darker beige cover to the main case. All three are at the top of the board with one on the left, center and right. The plastic is fragile!!!

With the case open and the caps off…I hadn’t figured out how to get the spacebar off yet.
The guts of the keyboard are held to the case by those two brass screws, one on each side.

Here you can see a hint of the PCB through the stabilizer guide hole. When you look under the spacebar all you see are three plastic barrels, one in the middle (the actual buckling spring) and one on each side for the stabilizer.

Construction:
I’ve read that this keyboard does not have a metal plate inside of it. This confuses me since the whole thing appears to be made of metal! The keyboard is a sandwich of two metal plates, the backplate and a top plate. They both are made with the same curve so they spoon together perfectly. The backplate is a solid piece of metal, no holes through it (for rivets) like in a typical Model M. The PCB is curved and attached to the backplate with 2 large metal brads.

Backplate and PCB:

Grounding wire is attached to the PCB
Back – grounding screw goes through the PCB and attaches to the backplate

Heavy duty cable connector!

The top plate is both a solid black backdrop for the keycaps and also the frame that holds the barrels for the switches. The top plate has hooked tabs that interlock with the backplate to hold everything together.

Hooked tabs, 5 per side, hold the two plates tightly together:
One tab folded over to “lock” the plates together:
I had to bend this back to slide the 2 plates apart.

There is a foam mat between the top plate and the barrels/buckling springs. I’m guessing this helps with noise reduction and vibration. It is also sticky on both sides. I think this may help prevent dust etc from working between the plates. Everything was very clean in here…

Removed backplate and PCB:
Here you can see the stabilizer, under the top plate and completely unreachable without taking the whole keyboard apart!

Metal frame for the barrels before cleaning.

There was a match-head in the keyboard…

Cleaning the caps:
Laundry detergent and warm water. The water turned an ugly shade of brown almost instantly!

A beautiful clean keyboard!
The plastic and textures have held up amazingly well. With it clean it looks almost brand new!

“Portable” Personal Computer!!! I love it!

Next Steps:
Figure out how to use Soarer’s Converter and get this board back in circulation!
Nice find. I'll have to comb my local thrift shops.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

15 Jun 2014, 10:16

sean4star wrote:Image
So that's how the shop date works... Great pics!

Muirium
µ

15 Jun 2014, 13:25

How exactly? I don't get it.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

15 Jun 2014, 13:30

I was thinking 5.29.84 => 4829, but perhaps not.

Hypersphere

15 Jun 2014, 16:17

facetsesame wrote:I was thinking 5.29.84 => 4829, but perhaps not.
I've taken apart a few XTs, and thus far I have found the date written in marker on the back of the front piece of the case in typical US fashion. For example, 10/1/84, to mean October 1, 1984 instead of 10 January 1984.

idahoan

03 Mar 2015, 08:50

Has anyone been able to cypher out the 'shop date' code yet. I thought it was the Julian date but that doesn't appear to be the case since the last 3 digits exceed 365 on some of them. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to that 4 digit number on the internal metal plate labels. I know someone out there has cracked the code :-)

idollar
i$

03 Mar 2015, 09:05

Thanks for sharing !

Return to “Keyboards”