Printed BS keys from Unicomp

quantalume

13 Apr 2014, 20:27

I wonder if anyone here has experience ordering printed keys from Unicomp. I'm referring to the product available at this URL: http://pckeyboard.com/page/Buttons/PRK. Do I understand this to mean I can order keys with any legends I want, like "Copy", "Paste" and other things not found on any Model M variant? If so, how can they offer this so cheaply? Are they dye-sub? I originally contacted them about ordering the arithmetic keys (*, +, -, /) from the Spacesaver M, and they directed me to this page.

Grond

13 Apr 2014, 20:43

They are dye subs, but I'm pretty sure you can only order from the legends they already have in stock.

bitslasher

18 Apr 2014, 02:49

They can produce custom keys with any word you want. They actually have a machine that prints out a template that they then use to do dye sub with. It is a manual process, and different than how they produce their normal dye sub keys that are produced all at once (per keyboard layout).

The quality is lacking for these kinds of keys. The text is fuzzy and not as crisp as the normal keys. Positioning is not consistent either, since each key is made individually.

I ordered a few keys from them before. I really appreciate that they offer the service, but unfortunately I'm too much if a perfectionist and the keys just seem sub par. I've spoken with one of their sales guys at length on a couple occasions. What money they make is from industry, where this kind if thing doesn't matter. They really have not given much effort to the consumer market.

alinh

18 Apr 2014, 07:46

bitslasher wrote:They can produce custom keys with any word you want. They actually have a machine that prints out a template that they then use to do dye sub with. It is a manual process, and different than how they produce their normal dye sub keys that are produced all at once (per keyboard layout).

The quality is lacking for these kinds of keys. The text is fuzzy and not as crisp as the normal keys. Positioning is not consistent either, since each key is made individually.

I ordered a few keys from them before. I really appreciate that they offer the service, but unfortunately I'm too much if a perfectionist and the keys just seem sub par. I've spoken with one of their sales guys at length on a couple occasions. What money they make is from industry, where this kind if thing doesn't matter. They really have not given much effort to the consumer market.
"we do not create custom text keys, we only print standard legends. " Zachary Menchhofer from Unicomp

Grond

18 Apr 2014, 09:25

Yeah, now I remember their custom keycaps, there used to be a thread about them here or on GH. They were actually painful to watch, so no wonder they stopped offering them altoghether.

Return to “Keyboards”