More Poker II questions

crimzongryphon

14 Apr 2014, 21:03

Hello again deskthority! Not sure if there is a limit on how often someone can post but here goes.

Earlier today I asked about buy stuff of taobao and decided it was really not worth it thanks to a bunch of help I received. I've decided to go for mechnicalkeyboards.com.

The problem is I have no clue what to get now that choices have opened up.
The three I am looking at are all cherry mx blue and the details are as follows:
Green backlighting with ABS plastic, blue backlighting with ABS plastic or PBT plastic.

Which of these plastics is better price difference aside and for anyone who has owned a backlit poker can you tell me how it looks compared to other backlit keyboards you have seen as youtube has very few legitimate poker 2 backlit videos.

I think the main factor for me will be the plastic.

Muirium
µ

14 Apr 2014, 21:39

I started out wanting backlights too. But they come with a lot of trade offs, and aren't really worth it. Backlit caps suck, and when they wear they turn into shining blobs instead of legends. As you care enough to ask, I'd get something nicer.

For an intro into a bunch of mech keyboard concepts, you could try reading this review / odyssey I wrote about the Ducky Shine 3:

http://deskthority.net/news-reviews-f4/ ... t7130.html

crimzongryphon

14 Apr 2014, 21:56

Hmm this look like it could be really useful, I'll take a look thanks.

Stabilized

15 Apr 2014, 17:26

I have a pure pro with backlighting (from Massdrop) and it's got the orange backlight. It's a nice feature to have but I find I never use it, especially as mine came with a spare set of PBT keycaps, I have become a complete snob and only use the PBT keycaps (going as far as ordering a set for all my boards).

As it is you're first keyboard you have to really think about what will be most useful for you, ABS isn't bad but it is just that you might prefer PBT but without a frame of reference, how are you to know? From my experience the PBT has a fine texture on the top which really helps me type, while the ABS backlit keycaps are really quite smooth and that is something that really puts me off.

To answer you question about backlight; the backlight on the Pure pro is nice and bright enough to be pretty viewable in daylight.
Does that help you somewhat?

EDIT: forgot to mention that the Pure Pro is made by KBT as well and uses the same housing, just a different layout.

Return to “Keyboards”