Cipher machines

fifted

15 Apr 2014, 01:34

Was perusing the Crypto Museum and happened upon this striking (though probably difficult to come by) beauty:

From http://www.cryptomuseum.com/crypto/stk/race/index.htm

There, it's called an "Off-line electronic cipher machine". Doesn't say much about the keyboard, but I love the single legends, and the text buttons look downright 7bit-worthy.

Has anyone seen more about these classified devices in terms of keyboards, either caps or switches?

ray4jc

15 Apr 2014, 04:07

Is that a mushroom cloud key on the right side :D

Eszett

15 Apr 2014, 04:46

That you take a pilcrow for a mushroom reminds me to the Israeli psy-trance group called Infected Mushroom, where everything is mushroom, even street lamps, he he. Image

fifted

15 Apr 2014, 08:09

ray4jc wrote:Is that a mushroom cloud key on the right side :D
Lol, I had thought it an electronic component, but mushroom cloud almost makes more sense for this gadget!

Daniel Beardsmore

15 Apr 2014, 09:22

Pilcrow → ¶

Halvar

15 Apr 2014, 09:29

It would make sense for it to be a pilcrow as the machine types to some kind of tape, but I've never seen a pilcrow that looks anything like that, with that kind of round head. Shouldn't it be more like an inverse P?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

15 Apr 2014, 10:09

7bit

15 Apr 2014, 10:40

Nobody sees the self-destruction switch!
:shock:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Apr 2014, 11:04

I see r2d2 cap too big for a very small person.

fifted

15 Apr 2014, 17:33

Thanks for the bell key tip; one mystery down!

I thought it interesting that the period and comma are bottom-aligned, and the single quote top-. It looks a little wonky from a design standpoint but does help readability, I guess.

Return to “Keyboards”