Back to the Future: From M to XT to Beam Spring and Beyond

Hypersphere

16 Apr 2014, 21:58

The first computer I purchased for my research group was an Apple II. However, the first computer I acquired for my own use was an IBM XT. Consequently, I must have learned DOS, WordStar, and Lotus 123 using an IBM XT keyboard, but I have no recollection of this. It is as if a memory-erasing drug had been impregnated into the keycaps of the mushy Dell keyboards that followed; there has to be some explanation for mass acceptance of devices that made typing feel like mashing out keystrokes on rotten vegetables.

There must also have been a subconscious longing implanted in my brain by using the XT keyboard, because somewhere along the line I discovered the IBM Model M and decided that all my workstations deserved to have one. After years of being content with the M, I discovered the SSK variant -- same switches, but a form factor I liked better than the full-size version.

Next came a frenzy of sampling modern wares of TKLs, 75%, 65%, and finally 60% boards, temporarily ending with the HHKB Pro 2, a masterpiece of minimalism. Topre was a pleasant diversion from buckling springs, but not quite right for me, at least not all the time. Therefore, vainly struggling to find perfection in the present, I tried various switches by Alps, Cherry, and others, giving Matias tactiles honorable mention, but not yet a winner.

Just about a week ago, I rediscovered the IBM XT and its glorious capacitive buckling spring switches -- providing the most precise tactile and aural feedback of any switch I have tried. Back to a past consciously forgotten, I seem to have dredged up a kinesthetic memory of a better time.

Now I am persuaded by the learned posts on this forum that if I were to venture even farther back into the mists of antiquity I might discover that the predecessor to the capacitive buckling spring -- the beam spring switch -- would likely please me even more. Would this then be the end, the ultimate keyboard? How is it that we must journey back in time to find the keyboard for our future? Are we enthusiasts like figures on a Grecian urn, engaged in a circular mad pursuit?

Muirium
µ

16 Apr 2014, 22:18

There's always a beginning…

Human interface god demonstrates concept of typing to astonished Sumerian followers.

Hypersphere

16 Apr 2014, 22:27

Pressing on clay tablets! It's the first Topre!

REVENGE

17 Apr 2014, 12:52

Beamspring keyboard ergonomics are poor. That said, they are fun to type on!

scottc

17 Apr 2014, 12:54

Pain is a small price to pay to use a Beam Spring!

JBert

17 Apr 2014, 14:37

scottc wrote:Pain is a small price to pay to use a Beam Spring!
Compared to the real price those things go...

Muirium
µ

17 Apr 2014, 14:50

Sounds just like a Delorean. (Time flux not included.)

Hypersphere

17 Apr 2014, 15:43

Muirium wrote:Sounds just like a Delorean. (Time flux not included.)
Need to get my typing speed up to 88 . . . .

Parak

17 Apr 2014, 16:28

Beam springs are only imitations of the selectrics. A certain number of selectric mechanisms were made into terminals with appropriate electrical connections. Clearly, you must appropriate one and adapt it to usb to use it as the ultimate keyboard.

bhtooefr

17 Apr 2014, 17:25

If you prefer the level of tactility that capacitive buckling spring gives, over membrane buckling spring, you might not prefer beam spring, which is surprisingly close to membrane BS in feel.

Muirium
µ

17 Apr 2014, 17:32

Admittedly, I have only felt one beam spring keyboard. But it felt very distinct from both buckling springs to me. More swing, like what I get from a Topre, and a lot less twang. I really like its finesse.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

17 Apr 2014, 17:40

Muirium wrote:There's always a beginning…

Human interface god demonstrates concept of typing to astonished Sumerian followers.
I prefer stone tablets as a form of communication.

bitslasher

18 Apr 2014, 03:41

If you want a really nice model F with a good layout, and have plenty of desk space, you cannot beat the "super-carrier" 122-key terminal model F. Go get a teensy and convert it to USB with soarers converter. I have two of these and they are a dream to type on. The size and weight make them very solid and smooth to type on. Makes an M feel like a cheap toy. I love my Ms too don't get me wrong. :). The terminal boards are the only F boards with a modern ANSI style layout.

This guy has two for sale at $99 BIN. Not affiliated with the seller.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360906343199

quantalume

18 Apr 2014, 05:33

bitslasher wrote:The terminal boards are the only F boards with a modern ANSI style layout.
Those would require a bit of work to convert to true ANSI, would they not? I'm referring to the short left shift and big enter key. I just got done converting an M-122, and it was a pain because you have to bolt mod it in the process. Is the F-122 similar to other F`s in that you have to bend back tabs to separate the pcb sandwich?

Hypersphere

18 Apr 2014, 14:07

I am confused about the lineage of the IBM 122-key terminal keyboards. The label on mine says that the Part Number is 1390702. Then it says what appears to be Plt No. F1, and on the same line it says Model M. The key action does not feel like a Model F to me. I haven't taken mine apart yet to examine the switches. So are these keyboards membrane buckling springs rather than capacitive buckling springs?

And yes, I agree that the layout is not true ANSI because of the vertical return key, but one could move a spring assembly and do a bolt mod to convert it to ANSI.

Muirium
µ

18 Apr 2014, 14:08

122 keys came in both Model F and Model M generations.

Hypersphere

18 Apr 2014, 15:22

Muirium wrote:122 keys came in both Model F and Model M generations.
Thanks for the clarification!

E TwentyNine

18 Apr 2014, 15:28

bhtooefr wrote:If you prefer the level of tactility that capacitive buckling spring gives, over membrane buckling spring, you might not prefer beam spring, which is surprisingly close to membrane BS in feel.
Not really. If anything it feels closer to a selectric, but is not *quite* there. Nice feel when you type without bottoming out, the keys sort of drop on their own past the activation point.

E TwentyNine

18 Apr 2014, 15:32

bitslasher wrote:The terminal boards are the only F boards with a modern ANSI style layout.
The only stock F boards with a ANSI style layout, but AT mods are easy:

scottc

18 Apr 2014, 15:51

Wow, that looks perfect. I'm really tempted to try that on my AT board, E29 - thanks for the inspiration!

E TwentyNine

18 Apr 2014, 16:14

scottc wrote:Wow, that looks perfect. I'm really tempted to try that on my AT board, E29 - thanks for the inspiration!
I was amazed it hadn't been done before. It just feels right.

Note I've since changed the layout a little: Image

Rearranging the keys is so easy with the F it's not a problem to experiment with layouts.

Here's the full build: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52379

My final step that I haven't gotten to yet is to either re-case it or get something to build up the gap around the navigation keys that will look good and feel right.

Muirium
µ

18 Apr 2014, 16:17

Whatever to call that layout? FunctionKeyLess with left column…

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/top ... ml#p158348

scottc

18 Apr 2014, 16:23

I'd almost call it a "Modernised AT layout". Interesting!

Hypersphere

18 Apr 2014, 16:24

E TwentyNine wrote:
The only stock F boards with a ANSI style layout, but AT mods are easy:
Spoiler:
Where did you get the white on black modifiers? From an M13?

I am trying to find a "Pebble"-colored Backslash (\) key. That is, the same color as the modifiers on a classic IBM Model M keyboard. I agree with you that the board looks better if the Backslash key has color symmetry with the Tab key. If anyone knows of a source, please let me know. I think that Unicomp might have it in gray, but not Pebble; I am awaiting their reply.

Hypersphere

18 Apr 2014, 16:29

E TwentyNine wrote:
scottc wrote:Wow, that looks perfect. I'm really tempted to try that on my AT board, E29 - thanks for the inspiration!
I was amazed it hadn't been done before. It just feels right.

Note I've since changed the layout a little:
Spoiler:
Rearranging the keys is so easy with the F it's not a problem to experiment with layouts.

Here's the full build: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52379

My final step that I haven't gotten to yet is to either re-case it or get something to build up the gap around the navigation keys that will look good and feel right.
It might be nice to arrange the 10 keys on the far left and far right in a mirror-image symmetry of each other.

Hypersphere

18 Apr 2014, 16:35

BTW, I am finding my IBM XT keyboard to be amazingly versatile. I now have it remapped to a semblance of a Mac-HHKB, complete with 6 modifiers on the bottom row and a Fn key to the right of the right shift. Thus far, all the modifications have been done with software (Thanks, Mu, for the remapping ideas!) and swapping of keycaps. The only awkward thing at the moment is that I am using 1x Return and Backspace keys. I have yet to look into the possibility of moving spring assemblies to make things more ANSI-like; this might be more doable on an AT board.
Last edited by Hypersphere on 18 Apr 2014, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.

E TwentyNine

18 Apr 2014, 16:42

rjrich wrote: It might be nice to arrange the 10 keys on the far left and far right in a mirror-image symmetry of each other.
I need my nav cluster. I know some people like the smaller boards but I feel tenkeyless is the perfect layout (with fn's on the left or the top).

And yes the white on blacks came from an M13.

Hypersphere

18 Apr 2014, 16:58

E TwentyNine wrote:
rjrich wrote: It might be nice to arrange the 10 keys on the far left and far right in a mirror-image symmetry of each other.
I need my nav cluster. I know some people like the smaller boards but I feel tenkeyless is the perfect layout (with fn's on the left or the top).

And yes the white on blacks came from an M13.
What kind of caps were used on the M13? Are the doubleshot PBT or something else?

scottc

18 Apr 2014, 17:01

Pad printed, as far as I know.

E TwentyNine

18 Apr 2014, 17:06

scottc wrote:Pad printed, as far as I know.
Correct. They were available from Unicomp at one time but no longer as they said the lack of longetivity of the legends was something customers didn't like. Missed opportunity IMO given the color choices they allow for keycaps.

Return to “Keyboards”