Looking for keycaps for this Cherry POS keyboard

berserkfan

18 Apr 2014, 05:03

Hi, I’m an active member of geekhack. I registered an account here a long time ago but haven’t been active. My account nick is the same on both forums.

I have a Cherry RC128BM POS keyboard with no covers for the relegendables. Searching online, I can’t find any info and the closest I can get to is a GB on Deskauthority in 2011 for Tipro covers (which happens to be at the top of my google search result).

Does anyone know whether Tipro covers can fit my keyboard, and if so, how can I get them?

My Cherry POS does not use the same covers as used on Cherry G80 boards, but appear compatible with Tipro MID.

(Alternatively, does anyone know if X-key covers could fit? The cost for x-keys is much higher than for your Tipro group buy though. By the time I finished all 128 keys it'll cost $64, not including shipping and not knowing whether they can fit!)
Attachments
DSC_0115.jpg
DSC_0115.jpg (739.88 KiB) Viewed 2191 times

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 Apr 2014, 08:31

Your board in fact obviously is a standard Tipro MID board manufactured for Cherry. However, it seems (as far as I can tell from your pic) to have the sort of caps Tipro use for their new KMX range:

Left: Tipro KMX cap, middle: (relegendable) Cherry cap, right: Tipro MID cap.

Each cover only fits its own base, you cannot mix bases and covers.
So the question is: are yours KMX caps or MID caps?
If MID, I could help with transparent covers.

And of course you can use any keycap fitting Cherry MX switches.

berserkfan

19 Apr 2014, 11:49

Hi

Thanks for your quick reply, mine indeed seems to be KMX.

When you say they are new, doesn't it mean that it's not obsolete? So getting covers for the KMX keycaps should not be impossible, right?

I would appreciate any info you can give! Tipro hasn't replied to two emails; don't know if they are used to using only Slovenian and German or what.

Alternatively, I'm wondering about xkeys. They seem somewhat close; don't know if they can fit.

If you are able to sell the Tipro MID inexpensively I'll buy some also. I can't go forever without usable keycaps.

jond_keyhack

06 May 2014, 19:35

Hi .. sorry to intrude but isn't the far left keycap relegendable aswell ..

I am after about 70 under that impression but might now reconsider the middle cherry cap . .

berserkfan do you know of someone with spare? thnx

berserkfan

20 Nov 2014, 18:57

bump, still looking, tipro didn't respond to inquiry

Return to “Keyboards”