Ergodox problems - multiple keys being pressed

caffeine

19 Apr 2014, 08:16

Hi everybody,

I finally got around to putting my Ergodox together yesterday, but I have a problem. Some of the keys on the left side aren't working properly.

When I press (default layout from the Massdrop assembly instructions) the Esc key, it spits out '=12345'. LAlt presses everything in the thumb cluster, and the ~L1 and +L1 keys also press everything on their row.

Any ideas on what's wrong or how to fix it? Everything else is working fine and I really like the keyboard.

Findecanor

19 Apr 2014, 11:43

You should check the direction of the diodes and that you don't use any switches with built-in jumpers or diodes and external diodes.
The diodes on the left side should be all in the reverse direction to the right side.

caffeine

21 Apr 2014, 02:56

Well, I fixed my Ergodox and I'm not too sure how.

I figured there was something wrong with the SMD soldering on the problem keys since some of there were a bit messy, so I went back to try and clean them up. I literally just selected one of the keys at random (sw 4:7), desoldered the diode, cleaned excess solder up with some solder wick, and then soldered the diode back on. When I plugged it in to test, it wasn't spitting out the other keys in its row, but the other problem keys weren't either :o

Needless to say, I was puzzled but now very pleased.

solkoseryl

12 Nov 2014, 10:48

Hello,

I've faced the same trouble: each of 3 buttons from the same column produced a character sequences when pressed.

I've taken a look at the PCB back side and found one tiny unexpected bridge between neighboring LED and diode cathodes. Cleaning out that bridge solved this problem.

Return to “Keyboards”