IBM vertical mount keycap

Hypersphere

19 Apr 2014, 19:12

I am reconfiguring an IBM XT keyboard, and I would like to put a vertically oriented 1.5x keycap on a 1x key stem. This would require either getting a 1x stem that has been rotated 90 degrees to the left (anticlockwise) or modifying a 1.5x keycap so that it would fit the key stem when the keycap is rotated 90 degrees to the left (anticlockwise).

At present, it seems to me that the best way to do this would be to remove the vertical pieces from inside the keycap (probably by grinding with a Dremel) so that the keycap would fit on the key stem when the keycap is rotated 90 degrees and then gluing the modified keycap onto the key stem. However, if anyone knows of a better way to do this, please let me know.

Thanks.

E TwentyNine

19 Apr 2014, 23:29

What's the layout you're going for? You can get the plus or enter key from the numpad of an M and hack it down.

Hypersphere

20 Apr 2014, 00:11

E TwentyNine wrote:What's the layout you're going for? You can get the plus or enter key from the numpad of an M and hack it down.
Among other remappings, I have changed the Backquote (`) key to Return and changed the Return key to Backspace. The former Backspace key has been changed to Backslash(\). In addition, the Keypad multiply (*) has been changed to Fn. This layout approximates that of a HHKB.

It would be nice if there were a convenient way to change new 1x Return and Backspace keys to something larger, but the odd placement of barrels in the XT does not permit this. However, I thought I might at least elongate the Backspace key, as there is room for something occupying the space of a vertical 2x key in this position, but the barrel is centered in this vertical space. A decent compromise would be to put a 1.5x key in this location, but it would have to be oriented vertically.

Until I can come up with a better solution, I am training my fingers to hit the 1x Return and Backspace keys, and I am using a bright yellow keycap for the Backspace to serve as a visual cue.

Another possibility is to use the right bracket key ( ] ) as Backspace. On the XT, the right bracket key is 1.25x, which provides a bit more of a target that is still just above the Return key. However, this would entail relocating the right parenthesis key to a somewhat odd location, perhaps replacing the original Return key or original Backspace key.

I am also considering giving up these plans and reverting to the default XT layout for the Return and Backspace keys. At least this would permit installing a 1.5x Backspace key in the default location. I just didn't like the long stretches to the default XT locations for these keys.

Hypersphere

20 Apr 2014, 03:40

Update: I have tried using the right bracket key as Backspace, and this is working quite well. The new Backspace is a 1.25x blank gray modifier from Unicomp. This provides a contrasting color and a sufficiently large target so that I can reliably hit Backspace when it is needed. This also places Backspace immediately above Return. Although Return is only 1x, it is where I expect it to be, immediately to the right of the single quote key.

In addition, I have put a 1.5x Backslash key in place of the original Backspace key on the top row, and the right bracket key is now located in the original return key space.

Because I am accustomed to the HHKB layout, the XT keyboard reconfigured as described above is intuitive to navigate. Moreover it has the added benefit of capacitive buckling springs, with their precise tactile feedback and staccato metallic sound.

scottc

20 Apr 2014, 03:52

Could you share some pictures of the updated keycap layout?

Hypersphere

21 Apr 2014, 17:44

scottc wrote:Could you share some pictures of the updated keycap layout?
Certainly! Here is the right side of the keyboard. NumLock = toggles arrow keys with numbers in the NumPad area; Scroll Lock/Break = Power; Green = Return; Tan key above Return = Backspace (back Delete); Light Blue = right Fn; Dark Blue = Option (Alt); Red = Control. Command is shown next to the Spacebar. Fn toggles back Delete to forward Delete and [ / ; ' to a cursor diamond.
xt140422r.jpg
xt140422r.jpg (869.79 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
Left side of keyboard.
Red = Control; Dark Blue = Option (Alt); Light Blue = left Fn. left Command is shown next to the Spacebar. Among other things, Fn toggles Escape to Backquote (`) and Fn+shift toggles Escape to Tilde (~). Escape+Tab = revert to default layout of keyboard.
xt140422l1.jpg
xt140422l1.jpg (867.72 KiB) Viewed 1306 times

Return to “Keyboards”