Ducky DK9008 G2PRO only recognized after replug

drrtyrokka

23 Apr 2014, 08:58

Hey guys,

I got a Ducky G2PRO TKL with brown switches for my office laptop and have a little problem.
The keyboard won't be recognized at all if it is plugged-in at start up.
Only if I replug it when the laptop is running, it works fine. (I also have to replug it in the same usb port, if i switch, nothing happens...)
This is all weird, usb should be plug&play and shouldn't make that much problems...

I'm using Windows 7 Professional at work and all DIP-Switches are off.
Is there any driver I missed or whats the problem with that?
It's really annoying, that I have to replug the keyboard everyday, though it costs that much money...

Greets

EDIT: Discovered, that I have similar problems with my Shine III too, cant enter anything (esp. BIOS) until I get to the Windows login screen. What the hack?

Muirium
µ

23 Apr 2014, 10:16

This is without a hub being in the way? And it's happening with two different keyboards? Sounds like the laptop is the problem.

I have a Shine 3 as well. No such trouble here on any machine I've ever tried. (I avoid hubs, experience has made me a cable minimalist, way before I got into mech keyboards.)

drrtyrokka

23 Apr 2014, 10:23

Why I knew, you would reply me first? :D

No hubs in there...
I got the replug issue only with the g2pro, my shine iii works fine but only after getting to the windows login screen.
This leads to the problem that I cannot enter bios at startup.
(The g2pro scrolllock and capslock leds blink once and then nothing happens...)

EDIT: I think it is a windows issue... which OS do you use Mu?

Muirium
µ

23 Apr 2014, 10:36

Mac OS X: where things either just work, or totally don't!

Hmm. If you plug the troublesome keyboard into the machine after Windows has already started: it works then, without a hitch?

If so, I'd fiddle around in bios. But then my PC days ended back with Windows 2000 and even bios has changed a little since then. I hope!

When I hooked up my IBM Model F to a friend's PC, he found it was ignored in BIOS. I was using Soarer's Converter, which does NKRO over USB. This can be a problem on PCs. But the Shine 3 is a 6KRO USB native keyboard.

Is the G2PRO NKRO or 6KRO?

drrtyrokka

23 Apr 2014, 10:49

Yea, it works, if i plug it in after boot.

I think it's a problem with the NKRO over usb.
Both keyboards have the possibility to turn 6KRO to NKRO (also my Shine III), but the switches are all turned off, so no NKRO is activated. I really don't get the problem here, have to get in bios, but it isn't my personal computer at work. Don't have the rights to access to bios, i'll have to talk to my advisor...
Even if i manage to get in, wouldn't know where to adjust things, i'm a total bios noob :P

Muirium
µ

23 Apr 2014, 11:00

Good luck on that one. It was always black magick in my day. I have a bad feeling that it still is…

Check to see if the DIP switches are indeed set to 6KRO when they're all off. The whole point of a 6KRO mode is to avoid problems like this.

drrtyrokka

23 Apr 2014, 11:19

DIP On/Off, no difference...
I know it is on 6KRO though.
Thanks for you try to help me out, hope I'll find a solution soon. It really bores me like this..

ducky sucky

27 Apr 2014, 21:59

I also have a similar issue as well with a few mainboards. The Ducky Shine 3 doesn't have a switch to change between 6KRO and NKRO mode anymore. For some reason Ducky removed it from the Shine 3 and replaced it with DEMO mode >:| which is why the Shine 3 is the biggest failure of a keyboard in its price range.

Funny that my old Shine 2 with 6KRO and NKRO works on the mainboards that the Shine 3 doesnt work on. That leads me to believe the Shine 3 has a worse NKRO implementation then the Shine 2.

I expect a keyboard in this price range to work in the BIOS and OS, the fact my old Shine 2 works just fine shows how much of a gimmick and failure the Shine 3 is. Hopefully Ducky releases a firmware update or something to bring back the option to disable NKRO. Ducky shouldn't be removing essential features from its new products.

Muirium
µ

27 Apr 2014, 22:14

You know why they put a demo mode on it: for showing off in store displays! I doubt many stores actually display keyboards (especially powered up) this side of the world, but maybe it's a thing in Asia. Certainly, music keyboards always packed in a demo or ten for the same reason, but seem to have given up on it the last I looked.

My Shine 3 has behaved itself perfectly on all my hardware. Mind, I'm a Mac guy, so I've no idea what the matter is regards BIOS. I'm just happy that it works well with non-Windows operating systems, something you couldn't count on with earlier hacks to achieve USB NKRO.

ducky sucky

27 Apr 2014, 22:51

I wish they added an extra option on the switch to still keep the 6KRO option since i have to switch back to the Shine 2 to access BIOS. Its strange though that the Shine 2s NKRO works fine but the Shine 3s doesn't.

Muirium
µ

27 Apr 2014, 23:15

Apparently, the way NKRO over USB involves the following:
Findecanor wrote:More importantly, I think that you should use Soarer's method for getting n-key rollover on all major operating systems and be compatible with crappy BIOS:es. It is simple: Unless the BIOS has asked for the boot protocol, always send both a boot protocol report on endpoint 0 and a n-key report on another endpoint, but declare the boot protocol report as empty in the report descriptor. That way a crappy BIOS that assumes that the keyboard only talks the boot protocol will read the boot protocol report, and a proper USB HID stack will ignore the boot protocol report and read the n-key report.
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/dua ... rt#p143359

So BIOS is looking at a different "report" than the fully loaded OS. It's a little more complex than it seems on first glance.

Return to “Keyboards”