IBM model F help

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

04 Jun 2014, 21:01

I bought a IBM model F recently. The keyboard is dead. No function. Openning it I found the following:

The rest looks "fine" but since I have no knowledge of fixing this wonderful keyboard I would appreciate your help what to look for aside from this.

Tell me if you want other pics.

Thank you for your help.

:geek:
Attachments
modelF.jpg
modelF.jpg (179.82 KiB) Viewed 3145 times

quantalume

04 Jun 2014, 21:13

Which model F is that? With the exception of the AT, none of them will attach to a modern PC without a converter or new controller.

Edit: looks like an AT. What are you connecting it to the computer with?

seebart

04 Jun 2014, 21:20

right I just remembered that myself, unfortunatley I don´t have a converter or new controller right now :D

This baby looks like this and the sticker on the back reads:

ID NO.515X-55-87113L
MODEL 000
PART NO. 6450200
DATE OF MFG 16-07-1985
MADE IN THE UNITED KINGDOM

but that part in my first pic looks bad. Any tips on replacing something like that?

I just connected it with an DIN > PS2 adapter.
With the exception of the AT
so I do NOT need a converter or new controller?
Attachments
modelF-b.jpg
modelF-b.jpg (150.24 KiB) Viewed 3130 times

Icarium

04 Jun 2014, 21:59

As far as I can tell, there is nothing that looks definitely broken in your picture.

quantalume

04 Jun 2014, 22:03

It should work with just the DIN->PS/2 adapter. Are you sure it's plugged into the keyboard and not mouse port? I wouldn't worry too much about the original cable, that's just part of the shield sticking out.

scottc

04 Jun 2014, 22:04

Same here... If I were you, I'd just buy a cheap adapter and test it.

seebart

04 Jun 2014, 22:14

I have it hooked up via a normal DIN->PS/2 adapter. The adapter is fine. I´m using it now with my Focus FK-2002 . Unfortunately the model F is not responding at all. I took it apart, looks fine except for the cable shield. Any ideas?
Attachments
modelF-c.jpg
modelF-c.jpg (228.67 KiB) Viewed 3104 times

Icarium

04 Jun 2014, 22:37

Hm...do look any of the components look weird? Does something look burned or broken? Or the common bulging capacitors....

Hypersphere

04 Jun 2014, 22:42

It would be good to test the continuity.

JBert

04 Jun 2014, 22:48

Can the conical part on the cable slide around?

If I recall correctly, the black rectangle and that conical part are supposed to be one plastic part functioning as strain relief. If it got so worn that it broke (for example if the cable was too tightly wound around the keyboard while in storage), the cable itself might have suffered some damage.

Can you take a multi-meter with built-in continuity tester and check if the cable is still fine?

EDIT: Seems I spent too long digging up pictures of the strain relief, Hypershere beat me to posting.

Here's a picture of that strain relief, found on http://www.epiguru.com/2012/04/model-f- ... sassembly/

seebart

04 Jun 2014, 23:00

Hm...do look any of the components look weird? Does something look burned or broken? Or the common bulging capacitors....
not in my opinion, BUT I am not experienced in this, you guys take a look:

That´s some solid information in that link JBert, thanks for that !! I don´t have the tools for the continuity test now, it will have to wait.

Looks like this is gonna be a long-term project for me, I was hoping it would run "out of the box" but hell the keyboard is 29 years old!

:cry:
Attachments
modelF-d.jpg
modelF-d.jpg (285.91 KiB) Viewed 3088 times

Icarium

04 Jun 2014, 23:33

seebart wrote:
not in my opinion, BUT I am not experienced in this, you guys take a look:

That´s some solid information in that link JBert, thanks for that !! I don´t have the tools for the continuity test now, it will have to wait.

Looks like this is gonna be a long-term project for me, I was hoping it would run "out of the box" but hell the keyboard is 29 years old!

I'm with JBert. Just check the cable it's probably not a big deal.

cherry-jade

06 Jul 2014, 19:21

white V
black G
red and brown c d or d c .
PS2 is OK.

Hypersphere

06 Jul 2014, 21:37

seebart wrote:
<snip>
I don´t have the tools for the continuity test now, it will have to wait.

<snip>
Before I got a multimeter, I used to test continuity using a battery, light bulb, and a piece or two of wire.

xwhatsit

21 Jul 2014, 10:56

Probably just the cable though—that first pic looks pretty scary.

Return to “Keyboards”