Looking to replace my Dinovo Edge

somebaudy

04 Jul 2014, 19:50

(please bear with me as this is my first post here)

I'm typing this on my beloved but tired Logitech Dinovo Edge that's freshly missing the J key. According to Whatpulse I've typed about 26 million key press on that keyboard so a little wear and tear is not surprising.

A key has come loose and I cannot press it back in place. There are lots of J words in my main language (French). I'm reminded of the missing key every time I say "I" (Je) in french.

I have a few questions :

- Am I correct in thinking that the Dinovo Edge has been discontinued and remain unavailable ? Since I'm using a Dvorak layout Azerty or Qwerty is not a problem.

- What are the switches used on the PerfectStroke family of keyboards.

- Last but not least : what keyboard(s) provides a touch-and-feel close to my beloved Dinovo ?

Thanks in advance everybody !

Findecanor

04 Jul 2014, 20:26

First. Just to be sure: Have you tried both directions when trying to press it back?
somebaudy wrote: - Am I correct in thinking that the Dinovo Edge has been discontinued and remain unavailable ? Since I'm using a Dvorak layout Azerty or Qwerty is not a problem.
I can't find it on any shopping site, so I suppose so.
somebaudy wrote: - What are the switches used on the PerfectStroke family of keyboards.
"PerfectStroke" is the name of the switch. It is Logitech's own and can only be acquired by getting a keyboard.
somebaudy wrote: - Last but not least : what keyboard(s) provides a touch-and-feel close to my beloved Dinovo ?
That would be a few other Logitech keyboard models. You could go to Logitech's site and look around. The Illuminated Wireless K800 is one that also has PerfectStroke.

Otherwise I would recommend Topre Realforce, although it has sculpted keycaps instead of low profile and somewhat higher stroke it has similar tactility and also bottoms out distinctly but silent. The Topre Realforce line has the highest quality of all keyboards I know. They are not wireless though. There are also variants that are also silenced on up-stroke but I don't know if they are available in French layout.

However, I usually see lots of functional or defunct DiNovo Edge keyboards at auction sites at varying prices. You should be able to find a replacement at the same price, or a broken keyboard with parts for a single key that you could transplant.
Just first look carefully at the key switch that it is not one of the metal tabs at the bottom that is broken before you get a broken "donor keyboard" for repairs.
Last edited by Findecanor on 04 Jul 2014, 23:44, edited 2 times in total.

davkol

04 Jul 2014, 22:35

Perfect Stroke is just Logitech's name for scissor switches. Probably not compatible with other scissor switches though (not a big surprise).

Findecanor

04 Jul 2014, 23:42

No, PerfectStroke is a particular type of scissor switch from Logitech. It has higher key travel than others: 3.2 mm. Most scissor switches in desktop keyboards from Logitech and others have only about 2 mm key travel.
BTW, Alps has 3.5 mm and the standard, for Topre, Cherry, IBM etc is 4.0 mm.

davkol

05 Jul 2014, 00:06

What non-PerfectStroke scissor-switch Logitech keyboards are there? UltraX hasn't been made for years.

mrkabam

22 Oct 2014, 23:21

I own 4 Dinovo Edge keyboards. I love them so much that I use the same keyboard everywhere. home, office, remote office, vacation home. I finally broke a key on one and couldnt fix it.

Anyways, to assist others in the quest to find a dinovo edge replacement, i tried MANY keyboards and the only one that comes close is the logitech K800. It has backlit keys which are a plus (not really important, but at least there is one improvement). it is nice to have the 10-keys. But it doesnt have the solid feel of the dinovo edge. I would easily pay money for a new dinovo edge (i checked ebay and only found used. the few new ones were outrageous).

I am obsessed with my keyboard since i type 140wpm 10 hours a day.

hopefully logitech brings back the dinovo, but i could get used to the K800 because of the 10-key.

that being said, ill probably grab my dinovo from the remote office location and put the k800 there because i really do like the dinovo. k800 is 9/10 but dinovo is 10/10

Return to “Keyboards”