Model m not always responding when computer starts up.

keokitsune

14 Jul 2014, 22:37

So I’ve had my model m for about 2 weeks now and recently sometimes when I boot up my computer the keyboard isn’t responding, even if I unplug and replug it a few times or reset the computer, it instantly recognizes any of my usb keyboards I plug into it and even my cherry mx ps/2 keyboard but not my model m, the only way I can reliably fix this when it happens is to plug my cherry keyboard into the ps/2 slot and restart, once the computer boots up and recognizes my cherry keyboard I can unplug it and plug my model m in and that works perfectly fine.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be happening or how to fix it?

Muirium
µ

14 Jul 2014, 23:00

Far as I know, PS/2 isn't meant to be hot swappable. (But I'm a Mac guy and I use all my IBMs via converters / replacement controllers, over USB.) Maybe your BIOS doesn't like it for some reason. My (not exactly reliable) understanding is that once a PS/2 keyboard has been detected by the system, it will keep talking to it even if you pull it out and plug in another one. So your Cherry board is passing the BIOS check, and then your Model M is accepted fine when plugged in.

There could be BIOS settings to fiddle around with to fix this. Or just skip PS/2 with a USB converter like a blue cube.

Hypersphere

15 Jul 2014, 00:52

keokitsune wrote: So I’ve had my model m for about 2 weeks now and recently sometimes when I boot up my computer the keyboard isn’t responding, even if I unplug and replug it a few times or reset the computer, it instantly recognizes any of my usb keyboards I plug into it and even my cherry mx ps/2 keyboard but not my model m, the only way I can reliably fix this when it happens is to plug my cherry keyboard into the ps/2 slot and restart, once the computer boots up and recognizes my cherry keyboard I can unplug it and plug my model m in and that works perfectly fine.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be happening or how to fix it?
Are you using Windows? I have seen reports on Windows forums of this problem (Model M with PS/2). There are some suggestions you can find there on resetting the BIOS.

I sometimes use Windows, and more often linux, but my primary computer is a Mac. I connect my keyboard via both hardware (Iogear) and software (Synergy) KM switches to three computers (Mac, linux, Windows 7) using USB connections. My Model M keyboards use either the Blue Cube or an Adesso active PS/2 to USB converter, and I have never had any problem with keyboard recognition.

Good luck!

JBert

16 Jul 2014, 19:02

Ah, PS/2 can be fickle unless you have an ancient computer. I was lucky enough that my Asus motherboard still provides a large enough current for a model F AT, but most motherboards nowadays don't do so.

Here's a link from someone who made a mod to get his model M to work: http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/keyboard ... tions.html

Obviously he also recommends the Blue Cube if you want to go the easy route.

keokitsune

17 Jul 2014, 05:59

ya, im thinking of just getting the bluecube, i can get it off of amazon, might as well buy that alone with the stuff i need to bolt mod.

Hypersphere

17 Jul 2014, 15:08

Reminder: the blue cube is fat enough to block neighboring USB ports. It is a good idea to buy a short USB extension cable to go with your blue cube.

JBert

17 Jul 2014, 15:21

Or alternatively use a Soarer convertor box, or build it into your Model M.

I don't know why I didn't think about it earlier...

keokitsune

17 Jul 2014, 23:27

well i already ordered the blur box so i guess ill have to work around that. it shouldnt be too big of a problem

Return to “Keyboards”