How to connect USB-keyboard to PS/2-Socket

thoast

16 Jul 2014, 22:25

I just finished assembling my first ergodox (thanks czarek) and now I'm thinking about building another one for the office.
The problem is, that the usb-ports are blocked on my office-pc :cry: , but it has a ps/2-connector.

So, I'm looking for a solution to connect the usb-speaking keyboard to a ps/2-connector.

As far as I understood this topic:
- simple and cheap passive adapters work only with keyboards, that are able to talk usb and ps/2
- in my case, these don't work, because the keyboard talks usb only (already checked)

Did any of you had a similar problem (and got it to work somehow) ?
I would highly appreciate any hint!

I thought about possibly using a kvm-switch, which might do the protocol-conversion from usb to ps/2.
Is this possible? Which kvm-switch would you recommend?
Or is there another solution?
:?:

Nuum

16 Jul 2014, 22:44

You could use an USB hub.

Edit: Sorry, haven't seen the part about the blocked USB ports.
Last edited by Nuum on 17 Jul 2014, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel Beardsmore

16 Jul 2014, 23:08

USB hub … ?

thoast: such a device does exist:

http://uk.startech.com/Server-Managemen ... er~PS22USB

I figured if anyone would make one, Startech would! It's mighty expensive though.

Findecanor

17 Jul 2014, 00:03

Blocked? ... So silly.

Talk to your IT department!
One option would be to suggest that you would use a custom connector for the ErgoDox. If it is a desktop machine maybe there is a USB header on the motherboard that you could connect a custom cable to that would lead out through a hole in the chassis.

bhtooefr

17 Jul 2014, 04:16

My guess is that if they blocked the USB ports, they're not going to unblock them so an obviously homebrewed USB peripheral can be plugged in.

Your best bets are either to get a PS/2-capable firmware, or use a protocol converter like the one that Daniel linked.

thoast

17 Jul 2014, 21:14

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: USB hub … ?

thoast: such a device does exist:

http://uk.startech.com/Server-Managemen ... er~PS22USB

I figured if anyone would make one, Startech would! It's mighty expensive though.
Thanks Daniel, this is exactly what I was looking for - even if it's "a bit pricy".
I can understand that because the market must be extremely small for such a device...

I suspect, if a kvm would exist that does the conversion, it would be even pricier, right?

My first thought was this one: http://www.aten.com/searchResult.php?keyword=CS82U
It supports USB and PS/2, but probably not doing the required conversion.

I suppose, a diy-project with a microcontroller would not be an easy one, right?

If anybody has another idea (maybe a little less expensive), this would be welcome... ;)
(Anyway - now I have a solution, just have to save some money.)

Thanks for your quick answers, folks!

Daniel Beardsmore

17 Jul 2014, 23:33

It's funny that the KVM is in the ball park of half the price, considering how much more it does. It probably is economy of scale.

Would it work? It probably would, actually.

cinnamonrollz

18 Jul 2014, 07:11

I have a converter that makes usb mouses worth with ps2, if it works with keyboards you can have it!

thoast

12 Aug 2014, 19:27

Hello once again,

now that I successfully managed to connect the USB-keyboard (Ergodox) to the PS/2-socket on my PC, I thought it would be a good time to give this information back - maybe someone else is trapped in the same situation:

I just bought the KVM-switch Aten CS82U and everything went fine. It's approximately half the price of the little USB to PS/2-adapter by startech mentioned before and works perfectly.

Thanks also to clickykeyboards.com: they provided the original idea of using a kvm-switch.
(I don't like to do advertising, but this information was really helpful.)

clickykeyboards

12 Aug 2014, 20:19

Glad the information was helpful... but even more glad that someone took the time to say give thanks to the original post.

(As I am currently in the process of fighting yet another seller who is misusing clickykeyboards original photos without attribution).

andrewjoy

13 Aug 2014, 10:27

bhtooefr wrote: My guess is that if they blocked the USB ports, they're not going to unblock them..

Ahh the advantages of working in the IT department :). Its kind of bad that they blocked everything, its more than possible to allow HID devices but block everything else that's what we do, sloppy IT technicians annoy me.

Its nice to know you got it to work as it will be useful for older PCs without USB :).

Return to “Keyboards”