Controller susceptable to touch?

Eszett

19 Jul 2014, 05:28

Someone told me, that I have to use a strong magnet to bring my controller (Pegasus Hoof) into boot mode. One of my hairs fell on the controller, and I wanted to remove it. So I breathed upon my finger to maker it slightly humid and sticky, then I touched the controller, removed the hair. Guess what, about three seconds later the controller went into boot mode ... What on earth? :shock: Can someone explain this?

Eszett

19 Jul 2014, 05:36

Hm, the controller went again into boot mode when I shorted these two spots with a piece a metal (I used a keypuller).
400px-Pegasus_Hoof.JPG
400px-Pegasus_Hoof.JPG (21.05 KiB) Viewed 1681 times

Eszett

19 Jul 2014, 05:39

Hm, I guess the tip to use a magnet is meant for users who have their keyboard case covering the controller, so that there is no direct access to the controller. But you don’t need no magnet, when you can short these two spots. :idea:

chzel

19 Jul 2014, 09:35

You asked, you investigated, you solved! GJ!
Seriously though, if you use the board naked like that, you should cover the exposed contacts with some kind of lacquer (nail polish or sth) to avoid accidental shorts or ESD damage to the controller.

Eszett

19 Jul 2014, 15:22

Hi chzel! Thanks for affirmation. Shall I lacquer just the two contacts or all (30+)?

chzel

19 Jul 2014, 15:32

I would cover them all. Paperclips are evil.
Have in mind though that if you ever need to repair sth on those contacts you will have to remove the nail polish first (with acetone).
Grab a bottle of polish, unplug KBD, run the brush along the rows of contacts, let dry for 10 mins, re-apply a couple of layers.
Be carefull when around ABS plastic, acetone likes to eat it!

Eszett

19 Jul 2014, 16:27

Oh, then I think It is less risky when I put the keyboard top cover on again instead of lacquering. Thanks, chzel!

Return to “Keyboards”