Wyse 'transtec branded' DEC LK401 layout keyboard - now USB

urbancamo

25 Jul 2014, 00:34

Happy to report that thanks to a very kind fellow Deskthority member who sent me a replacement controller chip after I smoked mine by plugging the Wyse keyboard into a DEC linux converter, and of course thanks to Soarer, I am now the owner of a brand new, fully functional, programmable, USB 1991 Wyse DEC-layout keyboard.

I even managed to resist the temptation to bodge it and used the original coiled cable with a new USB connector on the end. Glad I took the time :lol:

Now officially my 2nd favourite keyboard after my HHK2. It even beats the Cherry G80-1306 (http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_G80-1306) I purchased 6 months ago.

Happy days...

Ascaii
The Beard

25 Jul 2014, 14:10

Love what you did with it! :D

scottc

25 Jul 2014, 14:23

Very nice job!

Muirium
µ

25 Jul 2014, 17:15

Intrigued how you pulled off that cable mod. Assuming you repurposed the original inner wires and adapted them at both ends?

How did you fix the Pro Micro in place, hot glue? Word is their sockets are weak, so that's probably the best use for them!

urbancamo

25 Jul 2014, 22:56

just fixed it with a bit of velcro, but to be fair it is pretty tight in the case and velcro is always thicker than you anticipate.

I did re-purpose the original cable. It is four core but not chassis screened like true USB cable. Not seen any hiccups yet because of this. I got a hobbyist friendly USB plug - with solder pads and a snap together case - but the wyse cable wasn't long enough before the twists started so I had to extend the cable at that end as well. Yes it was a pain and probably took me best part of 3 hours from start to finish but hopefully it'll last a good time now. Nothing like a new old keyboard :lol:

Going to get started on the Tektronix NMB Hi-Tek Space Invader keyboard - but I think that's going to be a full controller replacement.

Mark

Muirium
µ

25 Jul 2014, 22:59

urbancamo

26 Jul 2014, 17:06

Great review, I hadn't seen it till now.

AYG

13 Nov 2016, 14:23

Hey everyone. I've purchased the DEC LK402 keyboard and also just joined this forum.
I am looking for an adapter from LK402 used by DEC to either PS/2 or USB so I can use it on my PC.

Is there such thing out there or do I need more complex help on how to build it? if so are there any tutorials out there or manuals on how to do so?

Thanks alot.

urbancamo

13 Nov 2016, 18:52

For Linux you can do this via a powered adapter that converts the connections to an RS/232 connector - there is a Linux kernel driver that supports this: http://wickensonline.co.uk/app/index.html#/linuxlk

For Windows AFAIK you are currently out of luck, although I keep meaning to come up with a solution.

Return to “Keyboards”