Adapting to ANSI?

Mackem

01 Aug 2014, 22:35

How easy is it to adapt to an ANSI keyboard layout coming from ISO? I use a UK layout keyboard but I really like the look of keyboards like the Leopold FC750R but not sure whether to take the plunge or not.

Daniel

01 Aug 2014, 23:07

I think its easier than vice versa. You shouldn't have a problem. Do you plan to switch to US layout as well or keep using the UK layout on the ANSI keyboard?

Daniel Beardsmore

01 Aug 2014, 23:15

ISO has one extra key over ANSI, and if you try using an ANSI keyboard with UK layout, backslash (IIRC) disappears from the keyboard completely. The easiest workaround would be to switch to US layout, and create a custom binding in your OS to add £ somewhere, since that's the chief victim. That means that " and @ will be swapped, which is fine if you don't have to use another computer somewhere (e.g. work, school) where those are the other way around.

I stick to ISO because I don't want to drive myself bananas switching between ANSI and ISO.

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2014, 23:17

The only problem I have switching between ANSI and ISO is that extra key, right of left Shift. On ANSI I do miss it. I find the different Return keys no problem.

But then again the visual symmetry of that larger left Shift key on ANSI appeals to me enough that even on my IBMs, where I'm free to mix it up, I keep it. Little Shift is too little.

Both Daniels are quite right that language layout matters as much as physical layout. I use Apple's weird version of ISO-UK that is essentially just ANSI-US with £ swapped for # (while vice versa when pressing Option) and an extra key. I'd be in more trouble if I had to adapt further.

Mackem

15 Oct 2014, 01:13

Hmm, I see. I'm currently in the process of learning Korean and liked that the FC750R has Korean legends AND the caps are PBT, which was the big appeal for me (I love PBT keycaps) but was hesitant in regards to the layout change. I also wasn't sure what switches to get it in if I did buy it; I like browns but wasn't sure to stick to trusty browns or go for blues (Don't like linear switches, mainly type and play League of Legends)

jacobolus

15 Oct 2014, 10:32

What operating system do you use?

davkol

15 Oct 2014, 10:38

There are other factors to consider though. For example, ISO makes the "angle mod" possible (i.e. moving ZXCVB one column to the left, making B and arguably all the other keys like C easier to reach).

Mackem

15 Oct 2014, 13:31

jacobolus wrote: What operating system do you use?
I use Windows 8.1

Mackem

25 Oct 2014, 16:38

I'm still not too sure about it to be honest. I am tempted to just take the plunge and order but not too sure how I'd get along..

Return to “Keyboards”