1979 Cherry Keyboard Product Catalog and Price List

CPTBadAss

04 Aug 2014, 06:07

This is a cross post from my Geekhack thread.

Shoutouts to jacobolus for pointing this out in the Great Finds subforum on Geekhack. I have obtained a Cherry product catalog and price guide, dated March 1st 1979. I've scanned and uploaded the catalogs so that everyone could read them.

I couldn't figure out how to resize images on Deskthority so I've put the images in the spoiler tags below.
Spoiler:
This page really made me excited.

PDFs:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_cata ... Catalogues

http://deskthority.net/wiki/File:1979_C ... atalog.pdf

http://deskthority.net/wiki/File:1979_C ... e_List.pdf

Imgur Pictures:

Price List

Catalog

Just a heads up, the price list has an empty page one because I messed up. I didn't skip anything. And it does start the page numbers on page 3.

If you know how to edit the Deskthority Wiki, could someone please upload it to this link or educate me on how I can log in and do so myself? Thanks :D. Fixed this issue.
Last edited by CPTBadAss on 04 Aug 2014, 20:28, edited 2 times in total.

the1onewolf

04 Aug 2014, 06:16

Sniff, sniff how nostalgic.

Topre Enthusiast

04 Aug 2014, 06:48

Thanks for sharing, CPTBadAss :)
I can help with the wiki when I get home.

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

04 Aug 2014, 07:16

Lol, so it was you who beat me out on this :lol:
No worries, it has been scanned :mrgreen:

Also, dropbox link doesn't work...

Daniel Beardsmore

04 Aug 2014, 09:45

Interesting. So that gives us an earlier date for Cherry's solid state capacitive (i.e. foam and foil) from what we have presently.

It also lists M4, M5, M6 and M7 numbers together at once, without naming any series, and there's no logic that I can see for how they choose between those numbers. It looks like they may have consolidated all the numbers as "M7 Series" to differentiate that style switch from all the new switch styles that came out sometime around 1979–82 (M8 to M11).

Topre Enthusiast

04 Aug 2014, 09:50

CPTBadAss:
  • From the Main wiki page, press the 'Upload file' link under the 'Tools' menu (or click here).
  • Press 'Choose File', and browse to your PDF.
  • In the 'Summary' field, enter the details of the catalog, preferably in the format below (you can just copy and paste, then change the details):

Code: Select all

{{filedesc
| description = Cherry Switches & Keyboards Catalog C-73
| source      = [[Cherry|Cherry US]]
| date        = 1973
| author      = [[User:Daniel beardsmore|Daniel beardsmore]]
| licence     = ©1973 Cherry Electrical Products Corporation
}}
  • Press the 'Upload File' button.
  • Put the 'Cherry Catalogues' page in edit mode by pressing 'Edit' tab in the top-right
  • Enter the filename in the == Catalogues == section in the same format as the others (e.g. *[[File:Cherry Switches & Keyboards Catalog C-73.pdf]])
  • Enter a brief summary in the 'Summary' field at the bottom
  • Press 'Save page' button
  • Pass go
  • Collect $200

mr_a500

04 Aug 2014, 10:48

CPTBadAss wrote: Image
The top two appear to be ADDS Consul replacement keyboards:

7bit

04 Aug 2014, 10:50

Does anybody have a download link that works?

Ideally upload it to the wiki!
:-)

Nuum

04 Aug 2014, 10:56

The colors of the keycaps are awesome, especially the orange/yellow, but also the purple of the small keypad! Round 6 maybe?

7bit

04 Aug 2014, 11:01

You log into the wiki with your username and password:
http://deskthority.net/w/index.php?titl ... =Main+Page

Then get here:
http://deskthority.net/w/index.php?titl ... e_1979.pdf

and upload the catalogue: "Source filename:" select your file in the dialog and hit "Upload File" at the bottom when done.
:-)

Thanks!
:ugeek:

CPTBadAss

04 Aug 2014, 18:02

Crap...I thought the Dropbox link worked. I had a friend test it before hand.

I cannot log into the Wiki. Is there a special password or something? When I try and log in with my normal Deskthority password, it says that I have the incorrect password. However, I obviously can log into DT because I'm posting this...

scottc

04 Aug 2014, 18:07

They're different logins, as far as I know.

Edit: Nope! I'm just silly.
Last edited by scottc on 04 Aug 2014, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.

CPTBadAss

04 Aug 2014, 18:27

Hmmm, I found this old thread describing the same issue. I should be able to log in with my DT account but I'm having the same issue as what is being described in that thread. Seemed that there was issues with the special characters in the user's password. But I don't have ? or > in my password. Not really sure what's going on.

Ok, I figured it out. I had a & in my old password that the DT wiki didn't like. I've changed the password and edited the Wiki. Thank you 002 for that great walkthrough, I'm am mediaWiki challenged :D.

The links to the PDFs are now here.

mr_a500

04 Aug 2014, 18:52

Excellent. Thanks for scanning the catalogue. Oh how I wish I could order from it...

7bit

04 Aug 2014, 19:25

Thanks for uploading it!
:ugeek:

Page 7 is interesting.

So there are mechanical and solid state switches (capacitive).
:o

Halvar

04 Aug 2014, 19:38

Thanks for scanning and uploading! That was a nice read.

I stumbled over their distinction betwwen "mechanical" and "solid state", too. Quite odd. I wonder where the term "solid state" for those comes from.

7bit

04 Aug 2014, 19:41

There is no mechanical contact.

With this knowledge, we need to change the title from "mechanical keyboard club" to
"mechanical and solid state keyboard club".
:evilgeek:

Page 9, Standard fetures: "... 1000 key depressions per second!"
No excuse for the secretary to type slower because she sits at a terminal and not at a typewriter.
:o

scottc

04 Aug 2014, 19:47

7bit wrote: With this knowledge, we need to change the title from "mechanical keyboard club" to
"mechanical and solid state keyboard club".
:evilgeek:
Maybe it should be "mechanical, solid state and electrostatic capacitive non-contact keyboard club"... :roll:

Muirium
µ

04 Aug 2014, 19:51

Capsense is a pretty good fit for "solid state", I'd say. Our troublesome word is still "mechanical". I can't figure out a way to define what we mean by it in words. It's more like we're saying quality keyboards, but we chose an awkwardly prescriptive term.

CPTBadAss

04 Aug 2014, 20:03

mr_a500 wrote: Excellent. Thanks for scanning the catalogue. Oh how I wish I could order from it...
I have half a mind to call up the distributors that are listed just to see what would happen.

scottc

04 Aug 2014, 20:04

Muirium wrote: Capsense is a pretty good fit for "solid state", I'd say. Our troublesome word is still "mechanical". I can't figure out a way to define what we mean by it in words. It's more like we're saying quality keyboards, but we chose an awkwardly prescriptive term.
I agree. It's difficult to define it well.

Deskthority club proposal: new logo and slogan:

Muirium
µ

04 Aug 2014, 20:10

I back the slogan, but you can keep your artwork files to yourself!

If we were American, we'd make April 1 a big spoof day every year, and become the rubberdome keyboard club. So much easier to define!

mr_a500

04 Aug 2014, 20:13

scottc wrote: Deskthority club proposal: new logo and slogan:

"Really good keyboard club" sure beats the alternatives of "Somewhat average keyboard club" or "Mildly OK keyboard club". (with tagline "We're not too bad... when you think about it")

CPTBadAss

04 Aug 2014, 20:14

I don't know, I really like the sound of Mildly OK keyboard club.

Muirium
µ

04 Aug 2014, 20:21

Dirty Keyboard Club: Let me show you my potato pics.

ullr

06 Aug 2014, 09:31

Spherical keycaps are gorgeous.

bazh

06 Aug 2014, 16:33

yeah they had more 'curve' surface (sorry poor vocab) than that of SP family's now, the Cherry numpad caps is more like SP's DSA deep dish

Josh

15 Aug 2014, 13:21

Nice

Return to “Keyboards”