Review Filco Double Shots on a Majestouch 2 brown

neverlast74

12 Aug 2014, 20:49

http://www.keyboardco.com/product/doubl ... keyset.asp

stock caps http://postimg.org/image/4rjba43hl/
doubleshot http://postimg.org/image/slccyy7r1/
caps comparison http://postimg.org/image/by9fp0j8z/
F key http://postimg.org/image/ktqucnt11/

These are my first doubleshots, I am using them on my MX brown Majestouch 2. Other keyboards I have a is an IBM Model M, (too loud and too heavy to press for me) and a Zowie Celeritas (chattering gaming bitch).
Here the description of the seller which is true in all aspects.

"A full set of double shot keycaps for Cherry switched, German layout, Filco Majestouch keyboards.
A double shot keycap instead of having it's legend lasered or printed on to it, actually has the legend running through it like a stick of rock so it will never wear away.
This set contains every keycap for the full size 105 key German Majestouch keyboard and will fit a German Tenkeyless or any ISO 105/88 key Filco keyboard.
The keycaps are taller, more rounded and heavier then the standard Filco keycaps which will reduce the force needed to depress a key, the legends are also larger. Instead of having lumps on the home keys (F,J and keypad 5) this keyset's
home keys have a more concave top. These keycaps come with Filco stabilizers glued in place so will only fit Filco keyboards. "

In short my summary is: They look better (shape of cap, size of print) - they even sound better (but also a bit louder) - and lastly they feel better (a lot); all compared to the stock caps.

It took me a couple of minutes until I get used to the slipperiness/silkyness of the caps. Because of the heavier caps it takes a little bit less force to press the keys. In the beginning it was disturbing but after a while (5min) it feels really good. Overall the fact that caps are more solid and have a thicker sidewalls is very noticeable. However the
"play" is still there - so the caps wiggle a little bit if forced but that is not because of the stem or the cap - but because of the switch. Large keys like the spacebar or enter key (ISO) feel much better. Especially
those 2 where a bit flimsy on the stock caps. Something I do not use or does not work really well is the o-ring mod. Due
to the fact that the cap has no cross barriers on the inside on the top of the cap - the o-ring gets pushed up and has no counter to do its job - it would take 4 rings to it. I tested 4 o-rings on the F1 key. You can see
this in the video.
I love playing games with MX Browns (SC2) and I use to shorten the press depth by using o-rings, as this does not work really well unless you use an extensive amount of rings for every key you use. I will only use this
keyboard for work.

Things I do not like - I can not use my fingers to get the cap out of the keyboard (cone form [!Correction:these doubleshots are spherical!] and slippery) it takes a serious key puller or a bent hook made out of a paperclip and there is no coming with the package! :(

Do I recommend to pay whopping 50 pounds for it? Depends on how much you love a good feeling/sound (and if you can afford it). For me there are not that many options - as there are not that many German sets of double shots
around - I do not regret it - even though it is a bit crazy and if you say too much - I understand.

If you are in Vienna and like to test them - be my guest and send me a PM.
Last edited by neverlast74 on 13 Aug 2014, 07:54, edited 2 times in total.

Daniel Beardsmore

12 Aug 2014, 23:28

You can pull cylindrical caps off Cherry switches with your bare fingers?!

You must have sandpaper for skin.

Muirium
µ

12 Aug 2014, 23:32

I can do that, and SA profile slippery ABS as well. It's not smart, though. Just depends on skin texture. (Actually the opposite to what you think. I have inconveniently soft skin. Scottish weather keeps me constantly scuffed. While I wear through rubberised materials like handles and wrist wrests crazy fast.)

Is this set ISO?

scottc

12 Aug 2014, 23:40

Cherry caps are usually not so bad (apart from MX clears - I'm surprised to say that I can confirm that myth), so I can take them off with my just hands too. Try that with ALPS, and you might end up with bloody knuckles...
Muirium wrote: Is this set ISO?
The OP says German layout, so I'd say so! I'd probably prefer a nice Cherry profile set from a G80-XXXXHAD if I used qwertz, but I know that some people are mad for their sphericals.

neverlast74

13 Aug 2014, 00:18

@Daniel Beardsmore: no I cant - this is why I wrote... "I can not use my fingers to get the cap out of the keyboard"
but standard stock caps, that are not cone form... I can.

@Mu: it is German ISO. (my original post says it twice ...)

Thanks for reading... I realized that there is a review section - if a mod could pls move that that would be great.

Daniel Beardsmore

13 Aug 2014, 00:27

neverlast74 wrote: @Daniel Beardsmore: no I cant - this is why I wrote... "I can not use my fingers to get the cap out of the keyboard" …
The double-shot caps are sphericals, not cylindricals ;-)

Muirium
µ

13 Aug 2014, 00:29

neverlast74 wrote: Thanks for reading... I realized that there is a review section - if a mod could pls move that that would be great.
You can change that yourself, I think, by hitting edit on your original post and selecting the Review subforum. If not, I must figure out how to use the admin system…

Scott: Alps are a step up again, but I can handle those without bloodshed too! It's not my preference of course, but sometimes you just can't find your keypuller.

Daniel Beardsmore

13 Aug 2014, 00:53

Must be good muscle tone from all that caber tossing …

neverlast74

13 Aug 2014, 07:41

@Daniel: sphere and cones - you are right - I mixed that up sorry. I corrected it.

@Mu: I checked it - I have not found any option that allows me to move the original post.

phinix

29 Jun 2022, 13:10

I know this is old thread, but I keep coming back as I really like this set, one of the best old SA sets we had back in the days.
I still have one, but wish I had tsangan row for it to fit new keebs.

Return to “Keyboards”