Unicomp Model M right arrow == space

7e55e118

14 Aug 2014, 18:16

I acquired a few used Unicomp Model M EnduraPros and one of the has an issue with the right arrow switch. When pressing the right arrow a space is registered. I've tried replacing the key cap several times with no change in behavior. It is consistent in always registering, just as the wrong thing. The only thing I can think of is a short somewhere in the membrane. After digging around, the only way I can think of to fix this is by accessing the membrane which would require a bolt mod. Before I take on that endeavor for the first time, I thought I'd ask: Is there are any diagnostic/magic fix could try? Thanks!

Muirium
µ

14 Aug 2014, 18:59

Sounds very odd. Right Arrow registers a Space character, alone?

EK has a diagnostic tool: There are others out there people might point you to. (I use OS X and there's a built in Keyboard Viewer I use for all this stuff.)

http://elitekeyboards.com/switchhitter.php

As for a fix, sounds like the controller is suspect. If Endurapros are like Model Ms, you might be able to swap controller boards between keyboards to see where the problem remains. All without a bolt mod.

7e55e118

14 Aug 2014, 19:53

I used EK's switch hitter to help test and diagnose this problem.

Swap controllers... duh. I should have thought of that. Thank you so much. I will try that tonight.

7e55e118

15 Aug 2014, 06:19

I tried swapping controllers... same problem. I must be in the membrane. Thanks for the help.

Muirium
µ

16 Aug 2014, 22:05

You're welcome. I've no smart ideas about fixing the matrix, though. It'll take a bolt mod at least.

Return to “Keyboards”