1984 word processor with Hirose switches

Evilcamels

28 Aug 2014, 08:24

Found my dad's old Epson PX-8 word processor in his closet while helping him clean out his house. Second I saw it I pulled a key and found Hirose M8s behind some nice DS keys. The keys needed a deep cleaning, wish I would have taken a before picture because they were nasty. Here are some pictures of it after the cleaning
I never had any hands on experience with word processors, a little before my time, but I am wondering if it would be possible to output the key codes via one of the plugs on the back, either Serial or RS-232. I believe that the ports were originally used to send documents to printers, but I am hoping that I can alter it to send live key codes. If anyone has any suggestions other than putting in a Teensy and cutting a hole for the plug, they would be greatly appreciated. I would be OK with putting in a Teensy, it just cannot effect the exterior.
Thanks!

scottc

28 Aug 2014, 12:00

Wow, those are some gorgeous key caps. The machine scrubs up very well.

Halvar

28 Aug 2014, 12:26

I agree -- I just saw these keycaps a few days ago in an interest check on GH:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61294.0

What plugs does it have on the back? Photo?
Serial and RS-232 are two names for the same thing. Does it work? Maybe it has a terminal mode or something?

andrewjoy

28 Aug 2014, 13:12

Well it would be correct to say RS-232 is a type of serial communication, that usually uses a DE9 or DB25 connector :).

Cool caps you would expect something like that to use cherry ML as the caps are such a low profile

Halvar

28 Aug 2014, 14:20

Wow, this page is awesome:

http://fjkraan.home.xs4all.nl/comp/px8/index.html

Turns out you can really make your own ROM for it if you're willing to spend the time.

Or burn a ROM with Turbo Pacal and try to write a keyboard simulator. Or write it in Basic ...

Muirium
µ

28 Aug 2014, 14:59

How do those switches feel? I have a bunch of (very similar) M84s that I'm planning a custom keyboard for, and I'd like to see the insides of those caps! Wonder how large they are compared to DSA etc.

Evilcamels

28 Aug 2014, 17:35

This is why I differentiated RS-232 and Serial
Spoiler:
It works perfectly, currently has the word proccessor program on it but we also have the spreadsheet program and a mystery program. Thanks for the link, this is going to be a long process but I hope I can eventually get a keyboard simulator going and return it to my dad in working order.

The switches feel like heavier Topre with low key travel. They have a tiny tactile feel as the contact gets pushed out of the way and then it is linear to the bottom. I will get some nickels out and get an accurate measurement put if I had to guess, I would put it in the 65-75g range. I will get some photos up of the caps compared to DSA along with the weighing.

Muirium
µ

28 Aug 2014, 17:41

Tactile, eh? Different to mine then, which are linear. Pretty heavy though, like a reduced travel / increased weight MX black. Thanks for the (coming) caps pics.

Evilcamels

28 Aug 2014, 17:54

Very small amount of tactile, I may just be looking to deep into the switch. After typing some test sentences on it instead of slowly hitting a key, I would now call them linear. Here is a picture of it compared to DSA, DCS, and SA. (All row 3)
Spoiler:
Here is a shot of the doubleshot. Some switches show some of the brown/orange/gray but the majority are completely white on the inside like this key.
Spoiler:
It took 14 nickels so 70g to activate, so very similar to your description of short throw heavy blacks.

urbancamo

28 Aug 2014, 21:28

Gotta love the font on these Epson keys. Had an HX-20 for a while.

Muirium
µ

28 Aug 2014, 21:51

Looks like one of my favourite keyboard fonts, Eurostile, to me:
Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 08.47.27 pm.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 08.47.27 pm.png (364.7 KiB) Viewed 2739 times

Thanks for the pictures. I'm impressed how well DSA manages to compete with a low profile like this.

Evilcamels

28 Aug 2014, 22:17

No problem. I hope that the Geekhack group buy actually happens because if I can't get the live keyboard output, a similar keyset on a 75% would still be a great gift for my dad. Too bad SP doesn't have a similar font in doubleshot and dyesub wouldn't be possible with the white legends :(

Return to “Keyboards”