CM Novatouch Review

Hypersphere

03 Sep 2014, 01:00

Via a source that must remain undisclosed, today I was able to get a Cooler Master (CM) Novatouch in advance of the official release date, which I understand is slated for 22 September 2014. The US price is expected to be $200, but this is unconfirmed.

Unfortunately, the keyboard was not packed very well in its shipping container, so that the Novatouch box was slightly dented in one corner. However, I would expect that the packing would be better if purchased through a normal retail outlet.

The keyboard itself is well protected in its box, which has thick styrofoam on the bottom and four sides. The top of the keyboard is covered by a velvet-coated sleeve that has a velcro closure. The box has a lid with a magnetic latch.

Inside the box is the keyboard with its stock keycaps (black ABS with lasered white-inlay legends), a USB cable with a right-angle micro US connector and thick braided insulation, a brief manual, and a bag of black O-rings.

The CM Novatouch keyboard measures 35.9 x 13. 8 x 3.9 cm, weighs 895 g, and has no LEDs or DIP switches. For comparison, the RF 87u measures 36.6 x 16.9 x 3.8 cm, weighs 1200 g, has LEDS under the CapsLock and NumLock keys, and includes DIP switches on the bottom of the keyboard.

The stock caps and right-angle connector of the Novatouch are shown below in a series of out-of-focus potato pics. My own preference is to have the connector on the left rear of the keyboard rather than the right rear as in the Novatouch. I am also not fond of the thick braided cable. Fortunately, the cable is detachable and could be replaced with a thinner one with a right, left, or straight angle.
Novatouch-stockkeys.jpg
Novatouch-stockkeys.jpg (853.39 KiB) Viewed 14568 times
Novatouch-connector.jpg
Novatouch-connector.jpg (587.51 KiB) Viewed 14568 times
The Novatouch case is matte black with a smooth finish -- it does not feel rubberized like some of the other CM models. The case feels solid with no flex or creaking, except when pressing down near the top center, between the F8 an dF9 keys. Branding is confined to a logo on the rear of the case:
Novatouch-branding.jpg
Novatouch-branding.jpg (752.45 KiB) Viewed 14568 times
The label on the bottom shows that the keyboard is made in China. This view also shows one of the flip-out feet, which has a rubberized surface to grip the desk:
Novatouch-foot+label.jpg
Novatouch-foot+label.jpg (781.63 KiB) Viewed 14568 times
I was initially puzzled by the O-rings that were packaged with the Novatouch, because a silencing mod on a conventional Topre-switch keyboard can be performed with dental bands, but this entails dismantling the keyboard. It turns out that you can slip the O-rings over the stems of the Cherry mx-compatible keycaps in the same way you would employ O-rings on a Cherry mx board. This deadens the bottoming-out sound, but it does not affect the return-stroke "clack".

The widest keys on the board are equipped with stabilizers:
Novatouch-stab.jpg
Novatouch-stab.jpg (904.92 KiB) Viewed 14568 times
Novatouch-naked.jpg
Novatouch-naked.jpg (912.85 KiB) Viewed 14568 times
Unfortunately, IMO, the stabilizers have a somewhat negative effect on the feel of these keys, and they generate some stabilizer noise, which I find mildly irritating.

Indeed, I found typing with the stock keycaps to be unpleasant, both with respect to feel (the ABS caps are clammy to the touch) and sound (the caps are thin and the bottoming out "thock" that one gets with other Topre-switch boards is somewhat overwhelmed by a higher-pitched plastic-on-plastic sound).

The appearance, sound, and feel of the Novatouch board were markedly enhanced after installing $200 worth of dye-sub thick PBT keycaps from geek_feng:
Novatouch-newcaps2.jpg
Novatouch-newcaps2.jpg (871.82 KiB) Viewed 14568 times
It was very easy to remove the stock caps from the Novatouch and to install new Cherry mx-compatible caps. It is important to note, however, that although the switch mechanism is Topre, the stems are NOT compatible with Topre keycaps.

I also found that the dye-sub PBT keycaps I used had a very loose fit on the Novatouch, so much so that with O-rings installed, the keycap on the "O" key would pop off while typing and fall off when the keyboard was inverted. Although Imsto keycaps are known to have a looser fit than some other brands of Cherry mx keycaps, the problem with the "O" key was intrinsic to the key rather than the keycap, because when I swapped the "I" and "O" keycaps, it was the "I" keycap that popped off during typing or when inverting the keyboard. I was able to make the keycap fit more securely by pushing a small square of cling wrap into the keycap mounting socket.

In addition to the stabilizer rattle in the stabilized keys, a few of the 1x keys also rattled when typing. This was not affected by inserting plastic wrap into the keycap socket. Upon removing the keycaps from the rattling keys, I found that these keys had a relatively loose-fitting plunger in the switch housing compared to keys that did not rattle.

Although combinations of Fn + F-keys on the Novatouch provide some additional functionality, such as controlling the repeat rate, media keys, and Windows key lock, I was disappointed to find that there was no other programmability and no DIP switches for such things as swapping CapsLock and Control or Alt and Windows keys. In addition, because I like the HHKB Pro 2 layout, I would also like to see a setting for swapping Backslash and Backspace, as can be done on the Kul TKL keyboard (which is a Cherry-switch board).

Overall, the CM Novatouch appears to be a relatively solid TKL keyboard, but with some apparent quality-control issues and certain shortcomings compared to the RF 87u. The main attraction of the Novatouch is that it has Topre switches with Cherry mx-compatible stems. This is fortunate, because my first impulse was to replace the stock ABS keycaps with dye-sub PBT, which improved the appearance, sound and feel of the keyboard. The Novatouch seems a bit noisier overall than the RF 87u, but the bottoming-out noise can be alleviated somewhat by installing O-rings, which is as easy to do as it is on a Cherry mx keyboard. Stabilizer noise is an inherent design characteristic, and given that the RF 87u does not use stabilizers except for the Spacebar, CM might wish to consider if stabilizers are necessary on the Shift, Backspace, and Enter keys. The rattle in some 1x keys and apparent undersized stem in one key would seem to reflect some quality-control issues that ought to be addressed for future production runs of the Novatouch.

To my eye, ear, and fingers, the Novatouch is not quite as refined as the RF 87u. I prefer the overall typing experience of the Realforce (or the HHKB Pro 2, which also reflects my preference for the form factor and layout of the smaller Topre-switch keyboard). Nevertheless, CM has taken a bold and welcome step in producing a Topre-switch keyboard that can be outfitted from the considerable universe of Cherry mx-compatible keycaps.

CM might make future releases of Topre-switch keyboards even more competitive by considering the following options: 55g switches, 60% form factor, LED for CapsLock, embedded NumPad and associated LED for NumLock, programmability and/or DIP switches for such things as swapping CapsLock and Control, Alt and Windows, and Backspace and Backslash. In addition, although I have not examined the feasibility of this, it would have been nice if the key stems had been backward compatible with Topre keycaps as well as compatible with Cherry mx keycaps.

Even if CM were to decide not to introduce new models of Topre-switch keyboards, it might consider some of the improvements mentioned above for the TKL Novatouch, and it definitely should address the apparent quality-control issues in order to provide the best possible typing experience on a Topre-switch keyboard that has compatibility with Cherry mx keycaps.

In fairness to CM, the quality control problems noted above appear to reflect issues with the new hybrid Topre switches, which presumably are being supplied by Topre. With this in mind, it may be up to Topre to improve the quality control on the new hybrid switches that it is supplying to CM for incorporation into the Novatouch keyboard.
Last edited by Hypersphere on 10 Sep 2014, 00:57, edited 4 times in total.

Daniel Beardsmore

03 Sep 2014, 01:17

I still don't get how those stabilisers work. How do they attach to a Cherry keycap? Inserts?

Hypersphere

03 Sep 2014, 01:21

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: I still don't get how those stabilisers work. How do they attach to a Cherry keycap? Inserts?
They appear to work like Cherry stabilizers on a Cherry mx board. You install the Cherry mx keycap by simply pressing down over the stem.

mj45

03 Sep 2014, 02:44

Hypersphere wrote:
Daniel Beardsmore wrote: I still don't get how those stabilisers work. How do they attach to a Cherry keycap? Inserts?
They appear to work like Cherry stabilizers on a Cherry mx board. You install the Cherry mx keycap by simply pressing down over the stem.
The spacebar looks like all three stems are inserted in the cap posts, but on the others (smaller stab keys) only the center is inserted and the outer stems just sit on the top of the stabilizer posts.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 Sep 2014, 08:24

Hypersphere wrote: Unfortunately, IMO, the stabilizers have a somewhat negative effect on the feel of these keys, and they generate some stabilizer noise, which I find mildly irritating.
So it seems they didn't fix it after all...

Daniel Beardsmore

03 Sep 2014, 09:35

mj45 wrote: The spacebar looks like all three stems are inserted in the cap posts, but on the others (smaller stab keys) only the center is inserted and the outer stems just sit on the top of the stabilizer posts.
That's what I was wondering. I guess it makes sense really, since pressing on either side will pull the centre down, and that should be enough to keep it level and stop the force on the switch being too diagonal.

The cynical side of me thinks that the lack of LEDs was a cost-cutting measure disguised as an effort to look cool.

Halvar

03 Sep 2014, 11:02

Isn't it a miracle how a set of different caps can change the appearance of the case? It's a NovaChameleon! :D

mj45

03 Sep 2014, 12:45

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
mj45 wrote: The spacebar looks like all three stems are inserted in the cap posts, but on the others (smaller stab keys) only the center is inserted and the outer stems just sit on the top of the stabilizer posts.
That's what I was wondering. I guess it makes sense really, since pressing on either side will pull the centre down, and that should be enough to keep it level and stop the force on the switch being too diagonal.

The cynical side of me thinks that the lack of LEDs was a cost-cutting measure disguised as an effort to look cool.
The lack of a a caps lock LED can be problematic when entering passwords, not knowing the state (on or off) of the caps lock key.

andrewjoy

03 Sep 2014, 13:18

Try http://www.binaryfortress.com/traystatus/ for windows. Not much help on the login screen granted but i think newer versions of windows tell you on the log in screen

Topre are interesting i want to try them but the cost is just too high, its not like cherry where you can pick up a cheap MX board for like £20.

I wonder why they are so expensive.

Hypersphere

03 Sep 2014, 14:26

Halvar wrote: Isn't it a miracle how a set of different caps can change the appearance of the case? It's a NovaChameleon! :D
Unfortunately, much of this illusion arises from my poor photography, lousy camera, and bad lighting.

Halvar

03 Sep 2014, 14:51

You did that pretty well - the cold/blueish light with the grey original caps and the warm/yellow light that makes the case look brownish with the beige caps. I admit I thought it was done in software afterwards.

Hypersphere

03 Sep 2014, 15:09

Halvar wrote: You did that pretty well - the cold/blueish light with the grey original caps and the warm/yellow light that makes the case look brownish with the beige caps. I admit I thought it was done in software afterwards.
Nope. Same lighting. No photoshoping. Probably different reflectivity of light from the all black keys vs lighter keys. Some day I hope to learn how to take pictures!

Daniel Beardsmore

03 Sep 2014, 19:27

Hypersphere wrote: Probably different reflectivity of light from the all black keys vs lighter keys.
Probably automatic white balance. I get white balance errors even on manual — there's always a certain degree of automatic adjustment, it seems.

Muirium
µ

03 Sep 2014, 19:31

Depends on the camera. Generally speaking, the more high end (like a DSLR) the less handholding and vengeful error making it will insist for you. Smartphones are particularly egregious at this. You're basically running a wizard instead of a piece of hardware.

Hypersphere

03 Sep 2014, 19:53

Muirium wrote: Depends on the camera. Generally speaking, the more high end (like a DSLR) the less handholding and vengeful error making it will insist for you. Smartphones are particularly egregious at this. You're basically running a wizard instead of a piece of hardware.
Getting a decent camera and making the time to learn to use it properly are on my "to do" list. I've never given the priority to this that it deserves. However, even with proper equipment and training, I will need to deal somehow with some vision difficulties that I have, including contextual color blindness in both eyes and intrinsic color perception in the left eye from a retinal detachment.

Putting photography aside for the moment, something I forgot to add in my review is that unless I am missing something, it appears that the Novatouch does not have an embedded numeric keypad. Although I seldom need this feature, it is available on my IBM SSK and my RF 87u.

In addition, I am finding it difficult to remap the Novatouch to my liking using the keyboard preference settings on my Mac and/or Karabiner software for the Mac. I was able to remap my RF 87u straightaway to a hybrid Mac/HHKB layout.

Another little quirk is that "right side up" on a USB cable is usually indicated by the USB logo on the connector. This is the case on the micro connector end, but on the USB-A end, right side up is marked by the CM logo rather than the USB logo, which is on the opposite side of the connector -- I suppose this is corporate prerogative.

Hypersphere

05 Sep 2014, 00:38

Apologies for the double posting, but I wanted to call attention to this update on remapping rather than simply editing my post.

After fiddling a bit more with Karabiner remapping software for the Mac, I was able to get most of the remapping done to my liking, including changing CapsLock to Control. However, I found that Fn on the Novatouch is apparently hard-wired into the keyboard and cannot be remapped. I wanted Right Control as Fn, which I was able to do with Karabiner, but I could not change Fn to Right Control. As a result, I have a new Fn in place of Right Control, but the original Fn key is now a dead key. However, with the Right Control as Fn, I can use this key for various functions, such as Fn+Esc --> CapsLock.

In contrast, with the RF 87u there is no hard-wired Fn key, and so I was able to use Karabiner to remap the "menu" (pc applications key) to Right Control and remap Right Control as Fn.

After using the Novatouch again today, its appeal is increasing. I am getting accustomed to it not sounding like other Topre boards; the "thock" gets overshadowed by the "click" of bottoming out the Cherry mx keycaps, but it is a more agreeable, duller-sounding click than one gets with a Cherry mx blue keyboard, for example. Speed and accuracy are increasing to levels similar to what I have been getting with my other Topre-switch boards or even my XT. Things would be rather good if I could have set up the Fn and Right Control the way I had wanted. If anyone finds a way around this, please post a solution!

Muirium
µ

05 Sep 2014, 00:45

The NovaTouch's FN key is in the same location and shares similar behaviour to the FN key on Ducky keyboards, and I expect many more out there. It's the Amiga key in my Granite picture set:

It's an FN key in the classic sense: it sends no signal to the host, but changes the keyboard's internal state alone. It's essentially a hardwired media layer, accessing the volume and playback keys, as I sorted out with the appropriate caps here:

I'd rather FN send a scancode, too. But this is not uncommon. The Realforce gets that right while others don't.

Hypersphere

05 Sep 2014, 01:02

Muirium wrote: The NovaTouch's FN key is in the same location and shares similar behaviour to the FN key on Ducky keyboards, and I expect many more out there. It's the Amiga key in my Granite picture set:

It's an FN key in the classic sense: it sends no signal to the host, but changes the keyboard's internal state alone. It's essentially a hardwired media layer, accessing the volume and playback keys, as I sorted out with the appropriate caps here:

I'd rather FN send a scancode, too. But this is not uncommon. The Realforce gets that right while others don't.
Yes, indeed. Another plus for Realforce. However, in fairness to the CM Novatouch, after coming back to it and getting it almost remapped to my satisfaction (really too bad to have an essentially dead key, however!), the board is growing on me. It doesn't really sound or feel like a Topre-switch board to me, but it is a treat to be using my dye-sub thick PBT Cherry set on it, and I do like typing on the Novatouch more than any Cherry mx board I have tried.

Do you notice the stabilizer noise on your Novatouch? For bottoming-out noise, have you tried O-rings on it?

Looking forward to getting my Granite set!

Findecanor

05 Sep 2014, 01:35

Muirium wrote: I'd rather FN send a scancode, too. But this is not uncommon.
AFAIK, there is no Fn scancode in the USB spec. The Fn key is in a "vendor-specific" byte in the keyboard report, and the keyboard has to present itself as an Apple keyboard for it to be recognized. The presence of it also limits the report from 6KRO to 5KRO.

Muirium
µ

05 Sep 2014, 01:44

Indeed. What I mean is the same thing as Hypersphere: we'd rather it was any other key, like the "Menu" key (whose function on a Mac I can only guess…) so we could remap it to something else. You can only remap what you can see. These internal state keys are a black box.

@Hyper: I've tried o-rings and none. I find the thock is never really there in any case. You get a hint of it, there's something there unlike any MX switch, but the stabilised keys in particular have more of a plastic slap to them than the Topre sound you want. Here's some recordings, which all should be quite familiar to your ears now you have every keyboard in question!

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/top ... ml#p174519

Hypersphere

05 Sep 2014, 02:13

Muirium wrote: Indeed. What I mean is the same thing as Hypersphere: we'd rather it was any other key, like the "Menu" key (whose function on a Mac I can only guess…) so we could remap it to something else. You can only remap what you can see. These internal state keys are a black box.

@Hyper: I've tried o-rings and none. I find the thock is never really there in any case. You get a hint of it, there's something there unlike any MX switch, but the stabilised keys in particular have more of a plastic slap to them than the Topre sound you want. Here's some recordings, which all should be quite familiar to your ears now you have every keyboard in question!

Exactly! For my use, it would have been better not to have had a designated Fn key, but to have kept is as something like the Windows "menu" key, which I could have then remapped, as I did on my RF 87u.s

Thanks for your recordings. They mirror what you have described very well. From the recordings, the only one that has a definite "thock" is the HHKB. The spacebar sounds are dominant on both the Novatouch and the RF 104.

I tried the O-rings on some of the noisier keys on the Novatouch, and I think I prefer the overall experience without O-rings, which only serve to dull the sensation without making it better.

Hypersphere

06 Sep 2014, 16:20

Muirium wrote: Indeed. What I mean is the same thing as Hypersphere: we'd rather it was any other key, like the "Menu" key (whose function on a Mac I can only guess…) so we could remap it to something else. You can only remap what you can see. These internal state keys are a black box.

Regarding O-rings on the Novatouch, do you prefer the sound and feel of the keyboard with O-rings or without them?

genkan

15 Sep 2014, 11:12

I've been watching this keyboard fairly close for a long time, definitely interesting but not sure about the case. If it shows up in stores sub 100€, Im very likely to pick one up.

Hypersphere

15 Sep 2014, 14:54

genkan wrote: I've been watching this keyboard fairly close for a long time, definitely interesting but not sure about the case. If it shows up in stores sub 100€, Im very likely to pick one up.
Unfortunately, the price is likely to be around 200 USD or 155 Euro, although I don't think an official price has been announced.

The keyboard has its issues and deficiencies, but it may sell well nevertheless on the strength of its main attraction: Topre switches with Cherry mx-compatible keycaps.

_PixelNinja

15 Sep 2014, 20:04

genkan wrote: I've been watching this keyboard fairly close for a long time, definitely interesting but not sure about the case. If it shows up in stores sub 100€, Im very likely to pick one up.
That is not a realistic expectation I am afraid.

c137

19 Sep 2014, 21:46

Let me just say this: it won't be that cheap.

My Novatouch does not have those quality control issues. However, I had the same feeling about the keycaps and replaced them with PBT as fast as I could (which meant waiting weeks, because I didn't have any ANSI set at all).
The worst thing is: the PBT space bar has connectors for two different stabilizer widths, the farther one would fit the Novatouch. However, the inner ones lead to the switch housings jamming the space bar after I have brought it down once...

Hypersphere

20 Sep 2014, 16:04

I hope that CM and Topre can iron the kinks out of the Novatouch in a future release. If for no other reason, I would like to have a decent keyboard that I could use for my Cherry mx keycaps. I have yet to find a Cherry mx switch that I like. Even as it currently stands, the Novatouch is better than any Cherry board I have used, but overall, I prefer the sound and feel of the Realforce 87u 55g and the form factor and layout of the HHKB Pro 2.

For all those interested in Topre-switch keyboards, please remember to register your vote on the Topre-switch keyboard poll:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/wha ... ml#p182692

c137

24 Sep 2014, 18:16

Price in EU is 179€, certainly not as low as many hoped.

My impressions on the keyboard, the packaging (including a photo explaining my statement above) is found here: http://mecha-blog.de/review-cooler-mast ... touch-tkl/

_PixelNinja

24 Sep 2014, 18:40

c137, has that price been confirmed by CM?

c137

24 Sep 2014, 22:14

Yes, the recommended price by CM will be 179,90€ - or at least that's what they told me ;)

Return to “Keyboards”