IBM Model M - weight and feel

POTV

11 Sep 2014, 21:10

Hi,

My interest in keyboards is relatively new. About 6 months ago I wanted a new high quality keyboard - and now I have about 20. From Logitech and SteelSeries to Realforce, Das Keyboard and IBM model M. The IBM's are my favourite due to feel and sound, and I have 12 of them. From 1986 to 1998, and some of them brand new in boxes. (My kids are going to have some of them, when they are a little older)

I have a few questions:

* My 5 IBM's fra 1991 and earlier all have a softer and, to my fingers, a slightly more satisfying feel. Is that due to a difference in the buckling springs or in the cabinet construction?

* The weight of the Model M's from 1986 and 1987 should be 2,5 kilo. My october 1986 version is 2.235 kilo. And other people, I have discussed this issue with, don't have a 2,5 kilo from these early years. Why is that?

* How do you best store the old Model M's in order to keep them alive? (The ones I have, that are not in the original boxes, are placed in cheap Ikea boot boxes, which fit perfectly. See link:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40264027/

Kurk

11 Sep 2014, 21:25

Welcome to Deskthority, POTV!
20 keyboards in 6 months, I'd say that's a good start :D

About your questions:
I don't know too much about the differences between early and later IBMs but there surely are a few experts around here.
My guess: the difference in feel could be due to the springs aging with use or due to the keycap sliders wearing off a bit or maybe because of some broken rivets that lead to a decreased stiffness of the assembly.

Weights: Don't know.

Storing keyboards: storing them in boxes seems ok to me. Everything goes as long as the dust is kept out and there's no diffusion from plastic softeners onto/into the keyboard cases. BTW, those Ikea HYFS boot boxes look interesting! There's also a shorter version but they've failed to give it the correct depth for SSKs :(
http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/80264025/

POTV

11 Sep 2014, 21:29

Thanks, Kurk - I would never have thought about the age as the reason for the more soft feel :-)

And yes, I have enough keyboards now.

I really can recommend the Ikea boxes - cheap and handy...

andrewjoy

11 Sep 2014, 21:55

You see you think 20 is enough, but you have not used a model F yet :D

Madhias
BS TORPE

11 Sep 2014, 22:12

It could be that the older models feel better because they were used more and therefor the spring feels softer, or breaked in. I think people also say this about old vintage Cherry switches, that they feel better. I'm typing on a '91 Model M right now, maybe with it's original springs, i don't know, but it just feels great!

I have to look also for some storage boxes, or for a storage solution at all! I have keyboards in the changing room, in the kitchen, everywhere. When we have guests they ask 'why keyboards'. Even collecting stamps is more approved by society!

POTV

11 Sep 2014, 22:23

I'd really like to try a Model F - but I know I can't live with the missing arrow keys on the right. So no :-)

Regarding stiffness of the springs - the breaked in explanation makes sense to me. But I'm really not that technical, unfortunately...

The new IBM's, I have, all feel very stiff in the springs. Perhaps a matter of getting used to...

Madhias
BS TORPE

11 Sep 2014, 22:25

I ordered some new springs and looking forward to make some comparisons between old and new springs, to feel the difference. I'm curious if the difference is really that big i read everywhere!

andrewjoy

11 Sep 2014, 23:27

i think its more to do with the construction than anything else i think older model Ms use a better ( more rigid plate ) more akin to a model F we have seen examples of this in the 50 key m that is more of a proto m with F construction but with a membrane.

i personally find model M's too stiff but my only example is a late lexmark, i would love to get an early silver label to try it out

i find model F's much lighter just right for me

but its strange my favourite cherry switch is red :P i used to like blue but i have gone off it a bit same with white alps. i find a spike in the pressure needed to press them due to the click mechanism. I want to try ergo clears as i like browns but the bump is too small imo.

i need to get some ( lots) of liner alps to replace the switches in my north-gate.

in fact the only click none IBM switch i like is acer, don't ask me why they are just a joy to type on, if only they where in a board that was not so cheaply made .

POTV

11 Sep 2014, 23:40

Regarding silver label and white label - I notice no difference at all between my 1986 and 1988 Model M versions. Same soft springs, same weight and overall feel. Only the badge is different. (Rather fortunate, as the early versions are hard to get in a good condition.)

andrewjoy

11 Sep 2014, 23:44

mine is a very late ( 90s ) blue label but says lexmark on the back and it has a white LED label , its just too heavy imo

clickykeyboards

12 Sep 2014, 12:06

Some additional data on model M weights.
http://www.clickeykeyboards.com/model-m ... 1986-2003/

1986 model M (1390120) 2.27 kilo
1988 model M (1391401) 2.21 kilo
1991 model M (1391401) 2.08 kilo
1993 model M (1391401) 2.05 kilo
1994 model M (52G9700) 1.98 kilo
2003 model M (UNIOP46) 1.92 kilo

andrewjoy

12 Sep 2014, 12:54

thanks for the info

i know you must have had many a model M in your hands, have you noticed any difference in key feel for the older M's vs the new ones?

cinnamonrollz

12 Sep 2014, 15:50

Ive got a 95 terminal board that has all rivets intact and I will say It does feel different from other model years but it is one of my only model m's with all rivets intact. Also the model ms from wheelwriters should be mentioned. Without modification they are significantly clickier and louder than any other model m (except for the m branded f's) At first I thought it to be to a missing rubber-sheet but others have reported the same feel. When its silencers are removed its really pingy aswell. I do plan to bolt mod this keyboard and remove the rubber sheet along with the silencers to see how it feels and how rediculasly loud it feels.

I also think its the one of the smallest model m's made due to its layout being a 50%.

Muirium
µ

12 Sep 2014, 16:14

A 60% Model M, you say? Pics!

cinnamonrollz

12 Sep 2014, 19:39

Muirium wrote: A 60% Model M, you say? Pics!
http://deskthority.net/post182531.html#p182531

More like 50%

cinnamonrollz

12 Sep 2014, 19:40

bitslasher

12 Sep 2014, 21:00

I think the feel is like others have suggested, more about the springs and sliders. I have an April 1986 M and it is the stiffest board of all I've touched. It seems like brand new. I've tore apart and rebuilt a few and I think the plate has not much impact on feel unless rivets are missing. Plate has more impact on sound. The barrels will wear and loosen and springs get "broke in" this makes everything move easier.

POTV

13 Sep 2014, 00:13

Thanks for all the words - I now understand more of the differences in feel and touch :-)

Return to “Keyboards”