Apple Adjustable strangeness...

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

12 Sep 2014, 13:26

one of my Apple adjustables is behaving strange;

the switch "Q" is randomly triggered ONLY with the keycap mounted! No problems with the cap off!Visually everything looks fine.I am using a Griffin iMate adapter.Have any of you here ever enountered such behaviour? Any ideas? :?
IMGP6753.JPG
IMGP6753.JPG (1009.29 KiB) Viewed 1341 times

Muirium
µ

12 Sep 2014, 13:40

Looks like it's in good shape. I have an Apple Adjustable with a clearly broken switch (G if I recall, right on the hinge) where the shell is fractured. Take a close look for that. These switches could be quite fragile.

seebart

12 Sep 2014, 13:48

where the shell is fractured
ok I will take it apart then. I just find it quite strange that the switch behaves normally without the cap! Does the cap not apply some pressure to the switch when mounted? I could imagine that being the case here.

chzel

12 Sep 2014, 15:11

IMHO either the cap is slightly deforming the stem/slider and causing activation, or it is because of the weight of the cap (unlikely?)!
You could test the latter by really lightly pushing the stem perhaps?

Muirium
µ

12 Sep 2014, 15:12

It'll be a flex of some kind. Caps weigh far too little to make any difference.

seebart

12 Sep 2014, 17:30

I still find it strange that the switch operates normally without the cap. So the cap must be causing some flexing like MU is saying. Of course these apple adjustable's differ quite a bit to your average keyboard hardware wise. I cannot see any fracture on the outer switch yet. I'll try another cap first.

Return to “Keyboards”