IBM Model M keycaps resellers?

benichka

16 Sep 2014, 13:40

Hey everybody :)

So, I recently bought a model M (1391401) with missing keycaps (3 apparently. The "stems" are there but not the "top"). So, I was obviously thinking about buying new ones.

And, in the same time, eventually buy some fancy blue / red / yellow / whatever color keycap :D

I know that Unicomp is still selling them, but apparently the quality is not that OK... Apparently Fentec is a good reseller, clickykeyboards also sells that kind of thing, but their stock seems low.

Any idea where I can get those? New, new old stock or something similar...

Oh, and I live in France, so if something exists in Europe, that'll be a plus :)

Thank you :P

Halvar

16 Sep 2014, 14:04

First thing would be to ask in the DT marketplace of this forum, maybe someone can help you.

If nothing else helps, you can ask this seller:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/1-Taste-fur-IBM- ... 1397150840

Muirium
µ

16 Sep 2014, 14:05

People often have random spares. Say which 3 you're after and you might be surprised!

You're right that Unicomp's caps aren't as good as IBM's originals. But they're not terrible either. A complete set of them looks fine, but mix & match comes down to individual variations on neighbouring keys.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

16 Sep 2014, 14:23

Hi! I agree, your best bet is to ask for the caps you're looking for in the Marketplace. I think lots of people have bits of Model Ms! I have some coloured blanks (from Unicomp, and I think they're fine quality) and a near complete set of XT one piece caps if they're of any interest. These would all fit your '401.
Halvar wrote: First thing would be to ask in the DT marketplace of this forum, maybe someone can help you.

If nothing else helps, you can ask this seller:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/1-Taste-fur-IBM- ... 1397150840
Muirium wrote: People often have random spares. Say which 3 you're after and you might be surprised!

You're right that Unicomp's caps aren't as good as IBM's originals. But they're not terrible either. A complete set of them looks fine, but mix & match comes down to individual variations on neighbouring keys.
Hey Mu, did you see that the auction includes a Mµ cap for sale?

benichka

16 Sep 2014, 14:27

Thank you for your answers :D

Will probably get back to the marketplace section when the keyboard lands at my place :evilgeek:

Return to “Keyboards”