Another custom keyboard post [Work in progress]

crimzongryphon

13 Oct 2014, 21:59

Crimzon's Custom Keyboard (too damn catchy)

I'd just like to say before this gets started that this post is basically a really long question so those looking for something to learn from I'd come back later and read the answers

Recently I have been asking around deskthority with a bunch of questions about making a custom mechanical keyboard. I have sort of a plan in mind which is mostly following Matt3o's incredibly helpful guide (I would be lost without it) as to what I need and what to do with it. Here's is what I've planned so far:
A plate design which is semi completed:

I just need to add stabilizer gaps and possibly notches to adjust keyswitches after they have been put in (like in phantom plates).

I have also made a table of prices which will and has inevitably fluctuated. I'm having a bit of trouble in deciding which tables to upload and the correct format to upload them in so I'm just gonna some it up and say it's £20 for material (aluminium) £40 for switches from 7bit and £20 for a teensy and all the other electronics. So in total £80 but again this is not fixed and will likely rise.

The caps are a different story and it is why I have not included them in the price. About 2 or 3 months ago I stumbled across an old abandoned keyboard and thanks to my slight internet knowledge I recognized it as a cherry g80. It is in fully working condition but to be honest I hate the look of it. If you want to see more about it look here: http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/che ... t8507.html

Ok so now for my question section:

Difference between MX clear and normal MX switches
Is there one? What is it? Does it effect performance? I'm talking about the switch case itself. You save 0.15euro per switch which is not bad IMO.

Where can I get a USB male to Mini USB female cable
This is for connecting the Teensy to another cable so that I can then run a mini usb male to usb male. I think it looks nice and means I can have a detachable cable.

Where is the best place to get a Teensy
For those in Europe, where do you get yours? Importing from America is ok but only when getting 3 at a time or more due to shipping.

Multiple modules
If I were to have a F1-f16 module and a Numpad module do I need a Teensy for each? That is where the bulk of the cost is I feel.

Semi modular keyboard idea (this sounds sooooo awesome)
I've seen in some keyboards that you can remove the numpad and switch it to the other side (sidewinder x6 for example). Is this done users multiple contacts to act as an extension to the matrix or is it just using a small USB plug? I'm thinking of a design which I will upload later if I have the time to do so which will hopefully make this more clear but could anyone who knows anything about this or how I would go about making such a system please reply or PM me?

De-shining ABS keycaps? (magic?)
Is it possible to do? The main problem with the keycaps I have is they're so shiny. I have a liquid called 'Matte Cote' which cost me £3.29. I'm gonna test it on a piece of ABS plastic to make sure it doesn't corrode it then I'll rub it to see how easily it comes off. I'll then use it on the 'Pause/Break' Key, which I have never used in my life, to see the effect it has on that. If it is successful I'll upload some screenshots or something later so you can all see if you want. If it doesn't however does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do to de-shine the caps. A new set is too expensive for now. Later on maybe.

Teensy programming
Is teensy the best option? Could someone explain in a little more detail how I setup the matrix or point me to a tutorial. Could someone explain in a little more detail how to make a code so that a=a and shift+b=B and ctrl+1=F1. I've been looking at Hasu's codes but I can't really make sense of it without help.

So I think that's pretty much everything. If anyone could impart any knowledge that would be super helpful. Sorry about the low quality, rushed post. I'm a little embarrassed when I compare mine to the other posts on DT which must take days if not weeks to prepare. Also if anyone is supplying any of the parts they think I might need (teensy and cables mostly) then please do PM me.

I have to go for now and can't check back till about 6 tomorrow but I'll answer any questions and queries anyone has then.
Thanks!
-Crimzon

Findecanor

13 Oct 2014, 23:41

crimzongryphon wrote: Difference between MX clear and normal MX switches
There is no difference between different "colours" of Cherry MX switches except for the slider and spring.
Each colour variation can be ordered in different variations with jumper or diode or LED, and with or without stabilising pins for mounting on a PCB without a plate.
There is an enormous amount of info in the Wiki.
crimzongryphon wrote: Where is the best place to get a Teensy
I think there is a thread devoted to that question with lots of answers in.
crimzongryphon wrote: Multiple modules
[...]
Semi modular keyboard idea (this sounds sooooo awesome)
[...]
Is this done users multiple contacts to act as an extension to the matrix or is it just using a small USB plug?
Most host operating systems do support multiple USB keyboards used at once, so you could use multiple Teensys, but there are cheaper ways.

I think the Microsoft Sidewinder has the numpad as an extension of the matrix. You know, the numpad's keys need only to be instantiated in the matrix once even though you could plug it in on either side.

The ErgoDox has a controller in one part, and a I/O expanded chip in the other. The I/O expander is controlled through a serial protocol called I2C, so you would need only two lines, +5V and GND to connect the two parts.
crimzongryphon wrote: De-shining ABS keycaps? (magic?)
I know of one guy who sandblasted his keys to get some texture back, but the thread was on Geekhack several years ago and is no longer there. :(
crimzongryphon wrote: Teensy programming
You could use Soarer's firmware. You would not modify the firmware, just load it on the AVR microcontroller and follow instructions to teach the controller which matrix you have. The controller will store the layout in EEPROM.

quantalume

14 Oct 2014, 01:46

Findecanor wrote:
crimzongryphon wrote: De-shining ABS keycaps? (magic?)
I know of one guy who sandblasted his keys to get some texture back, but the thread was on Geekhack several years ago and is no longer there. :(
As I recall, the bottom line was don't bother. Despite trying a lot of different grits and pressures, it either had very little effect or totally blasted the key to smithereens.

Hak Foo

14 Oct 2014, 04:53

It would be interesting to try the sandblaster. I once played around with one, giving a matte finish to a coin.

crimzongryphon

20 Oct 2014, 19:32

Oh!? My original response never went through? Anyway basically what it said was thanks for the help :-P!

Return to “Keyboards”