I made my own keyboard

grug

15 Oct 2014, 17:38

Hey guys and girls,

I just finished making my own keyboard and doing a writeup on it. The blog post can be found http://www.davecooper.org/blog/2014/10/ ... -keyboard/ <-- here. Sorry that the writeup isn't inline but I'm absolutely happy to answer any questions people may have about it :) Thanks for all of the help that I have received from key members from this community (especially matt3o)!

Cheers!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 Oct 2014, 21:13

really nice! :)

How long did the whole process take you (including planning etc)?

Findecanor

15 Oct 2014, 21:37

Looks great!
Don't worry about the gap between the rightmost modifier and the cursor keys. The gap could help your fingers find the key cluster. I saw another DIY keyboard design that was almost the same as yours, but with the right Shift key being only 1.25u wide to purposely create even more gap around the cursor key cluster.

grug

16 Oct 2014, 00:36

seebart wrote: really nice! :)

How long did the whole process take you (including planning etc)?
Thanks!

I'm just digging through my emails now to find the first invoice for materials that I used for the build. This was at the beginning of September so I think I was pretty keen to get started straight after planning it out a few days prior. I think that I probably did a week of planning before that (just in the evenings casually). So all up it probably took me about 6-8 weeks. The build itself took a bit over a weeks worth of evenings. Keep in mind I was pretty slow! I could do it much faster now.
Findecanor wrote: Looks great!
Don't worry about the gap between the rightmost modifier and the cursor keys. The gap could help your fingers find the key cluster. I saw another DIY keyboard design that was almost the same as yours, but with the right Shift key being only 1.25u wide to purposely create even more gap around the cursor key cluster.
Hah, that's actually a good way of thinking about it! I may even keep that in mind for when I design my second board :)

Return to “Keyboards”