Cutout Verifying

crimzongryphon

17 Oct 2014, 22:06

Hi I'm trying to finalize my cutout design and here's where I'm at.
MXSwitchCuouts.png
MXSwitchCuouts.png (18.74 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
This is a keyswitch cutout from this thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=477 ... msg1019782 on geekhack.
I was wondering if it is correct or if it's out of date. I have done a plate design with it but it just looks a little bit wrong?
Plate mount (Main).png
Plate mount (Main).png (195.43 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
Also I need to add stabilizers so if anyone has even just an accurate image of that then that would really help me. I've asked a few people but they either aren't sure or are a bit busy :-P.
Getting all excited now, should be around £50 for everything since I already have a salvaged keycap set albeit an ugly one. Hmmmm now just to find a laser cutter. :evilgeek:
Oh also two more things concerning buying stuff:
If anyone knows if there is a Teensy 2.0 GB that will ship to Europe going on at the moment please do let me know.
Also if anyone who custom builds in Europe knows where to get a USB B to USB B female that'd be really handy. I'd like one to make my cable detachable.

crimzongryphon

17 Oct 2014, 23:51

Oh just realised my switch cut outs may be about 0.5 of a mm too small or big. Will this be bad?

Findecanor

18 Oct 2014, 02:34

0.5 mm is too much. Cherry's spec sheet for Cherry MX specifies a square hole where each side is 14 mm with a tolerance of +-0.05 mm.

Then you should also adjust for the kerf of your laser cutter. If you plan to paint, adjust also for the thickness of the paint.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Oct 2014, 08:51

you don't really need to adjust for paint, you risk to make the hole too loose. My bianca plate (white painted) has straight 14mm holes.

crimzongryphon

18 Oct 2014, 14:32

Ok so I've made another template with stabilizers, thinner lines and a more accurate 14mm between the outside of the inner most lines. I know for sure that they are all the same stabilizers but I have no idea if they are all the right one in terms of "u". Also in general I'm really not sure if these shapes are correct, I can't find anything that looks like it.
Plate mount (Main).png
Plate mount (Main).png (198.97 KiB) Viewed 1705 times

crimzongryphon

18 Oct 2014, 19:05

Keyboard layout (With letters, Numbers and Switches).png
Keyboard layout (With letters, Numbers and Switches).png (503.16 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
Keyboard layout with key number an switch colour. B meaning blue.

Return to “Keyboards”