Lubing without desoldering?

hKing

25 Oct 2014, 10:58

Hi there,

since I am not very workmanlike when it comes to keyboards, I am currently trying to lube my Filco MJ2 browns without desoldering.

So I bought Silicon-Grease from LiquiMoly (http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/prod ... nt&land=DE) because some other guys have made some good results.

At first I wanted to inject this grease into the switch with a syringe plus needle, this would be just perfect. The problem is that the grease is too viscous, it won't go through the needle (I tried several sizes).

Do you guys have any tips how to lube without desoldering?

Cheers!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Oct 2014, 11:37

lubing is a delicate art. you have to treat very specific parts of the switch internals. blind lubing seems a bit erratic to me and you may end up with an unevenly lubed keyboard. Honestly I wouldn't advice that... but if you must, well, I would look for a bigger diameter syringe, you can find them of all sizes.

jacobolus

25 Oct 2014, 11:46

I wouldn’t recommend it. In general you want to lube a couple of tiny spots, not just indiscriminately spew lube around inside the switch.

chzel

25 Oct 2014, 11:50

And by the way, this grease is way too thick for switch internals. Probably great for stabs though.
For internals you want a very light oil.

hKing

25 Oct 2014, 12:00

Hm, so it won't work ....

Is lubing essential or just "nice to have"?

The other possibility is giving my board away to some guy for lubing-service. But I think the price for that doesn't justify the outcome. What do you guys think?

Muirium
µ

25 Oct 2014, 12:04

Forget about it. Lubing is just nice to have, nothing revolutionary. You'll have startlingly better results going for another keyboard that isn't MX…

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Oct 2014, 12:05

lubing mx browns make them less "scratchy". If they are fine by you, don't need to lube (or take MX Red).

hKing

25 Oct 2014, 17:06

I will stick with my browns. I already tried reds, there horrible for me, way too many typing errors. Browns are just fine for me...

Return to “Keyboards”