Keyboard modding

OMG_its_Roel

08 Nov 2014, 19:00

I don't know if many of you are familiar with corsair if so with the k70 the keycaps are high from the plate
like so, but i want this effect too. But i want to buy a CM Storm quickfire TK since you can swith if you want the arrow cluster or a numpad.
how can i achieve this effect?

Nuum

08 Nov 2014, 19:32

The top of the case of the Corsair K65/70/95, etc. is also the plate, so you would need to remove the case of the Quickfire TK to achieve the same effect. Maybe you could build your own case, but then I'd suggest you build your own custom keyboard, with the layout you want.
Maybe have a look at this IC/GB. I don't know if it's still running or if it has been cancelled but the layout can be made quite similar to the Quickfire TK with the lack of F-keys. Then you could leave away the top part of the layered case to achieve the free standing switches.

OMG_its_Roel

08 Nov 2014, 20:44

Can i also just make the top part? since the keyboard is 70 EUR since about hundred switches 70 EUR costs and then i must buy a controller and keycaps and diodes(those aren't expensive though)

Findecanor

08 Nov 2014, 22:59

It feels like we have been waiting forever for that group order to start ...
Note also that the plate for this keyboard has large gaps for PCB-mounted stabilisers and that some holes are wider than normal to allow for different layout options.

Here is a picture of the TK with its top off. (from a thread on LinusTechTips)
The plate does not cover the entirety of the PCB, and the holes are quite gaping. You would have to either make something that covers it (a new lower case top) or replace the plate. If you replace the plate, then you would have to desolder every switch and LED and solder them back again.

OMG_its_Roel

09 Nov 2014, 17:53

I definitly want to replace the top part with a metal one (what is the best metal to do this with i like a brushed effect but aluminium deforms easy and isn't heavy the ideal metal what i have in mind i cheap weighs a lot en isn't easy to deform especially it must not deform)

Daniel Beardsmore

10 Nov 2014, 00:49

What's wrong with aluminium? There are production keyboards with aluminium mounting plates. Many BBC Micros in the 80s had aluminium plates (including all the "Type 1" keyboards made by AWC).

Findecanor

10 Nov 2014, 02:56

I would bet that Corsair's keyboards are topped with aluminium. There are different alloys of aluminium, some harder than others. 6061, also known as T6 is a common type, often described as "aircraft grade". 7000-series is even harder.
It is the 3000-series and others that are softer and cheaper, used for house siding and whatnot, but they are often not used for keyboard plates. The biggest reason that 3000-series is not used for keyboards is that it scratches more easily.

Don't worry so much about deformation. Switch plates have 1.5 mm thickness, and that is quite sturdy even in 3000-series alu.
There are even some keyboards that have a plastic plate. As long as the switches are mounted in a sandwich with a rigid circuit board underneath the plate (which they are on every commercial flat keyboard out there with plate-mounting) the plate's influence on sturdiness is not that significant. There might a little bit difference in feel, that's all.

mathiasn

10 Nov 2014, 11:10

OMG_its_Roel

17 Nov 2014, 20:47

Thanks for the aluminium help :D
But how can you paint brushed aluminium?
I like the cases but i want the quickfire tk for its balance between functionality and mobility and price

Findecanor

17 Nov 2014, 21:38

OMG_its_Roel wrote: But how can you paint brushed aluminium?
You don't. If you paint it you would fill the brush strokes.

Most of the time, it is left brushed. To get a colour, it is anodized in acid to change the surface to porous oxide. Then it is dipped in dye to absorb a colour and then boiled to seal the surface. If no dye is used, it gets grey. You would have to hire a company to do it, and if could be costly. Doing it at home could be hazardous and with professionals you have a higher chance of getting a good result.

OMG_its_Roel

18 Nov 2014, 18:02

there are a lot of tutorials on youtube to anodize aluminium by yourself
dying can be something considering in the future that looks easier than anodizing
thanks for the advice

Sendoushi

20 Jun 2015, 12:18

I was exactly thinking about this. I don't really care for RGB leds, I want brown switches instead of red ones. I like K65 design and key configuration and I like Rapidfire i (with brown) everything else. Key configuration could be a step further but I was also thinking on getting a new housing for the rapidfire more like the K65.

Any development on this?

kbdcraft

20 Jun 2015, 14:21

This model's design looks very gorgeous!
But... feel like a digital...no analog style.
Anyway It looks like an gaming keyboard... right?

Rotti

22 Jun 2015, 19:33

Findecanor wrote: I would bet that Corsair's keyboards are topped with aluminium. There are different alloys of aluminium, some harder than others. 6061, also known as T6 is a common type, often described as "aircraft grade".
Just wanted to clear up a bit of misinformation here. The 6061 is the actual grade of the alloy and the T-6 is the temper, having nothing to do with what the alloy is made of.

For a switch plate, 6061 is great. Cheap, easy to cut, and plenty stiff in a T6 temper. Tempers range from T0 to T6. If you see T65 for T651, that means there was some sort of mechanical straightening process done after tempering. The " aircraft grade" is a bit of a message missnomer as 2024 is more common in aircraft.

I was a helicopter mechanic in the Navy.

acolombo

24 Jun 2015, 01:48

If I were in your position I'd probably consider other options. I owned a Quickfire TK and if you often change between numpad and arrows it's not that good, it was pretty annoying for me to go on the arrows with the numlock still active and write numbers all over the place.

I think arrows and/or numbers on FN layer, on a 60% keyboard, could be at the same level of usability. Yeah, I'm comparing a Tenkeyless with both numpad and arrows, together, with a 60%. In my opinion if you have to toggle a layer to use some keys or some other keys, it will be the same problem on both and the 15-20 keys more will be pointless.

I'd either go for a full layout keyboard, a Corsair K65 if you prefer TKL, or an Infiniti Keyboard if you would consider a 60%, I might have seen one in the marketplace not some time ago.

Return to “Keyboards”