I want to try MX Clears

Ellis

11 Nov 2014, 13:43

What are my options, aside from transplanting them onto another build (which I think is too much of a task for me :D)? Something with UK ISO layout is preferred (not a big deal though, since mainly I want to get a feel for the switch) and I don't want to spend much, so I'd want to source something used.

Any cheap, easy to find boards with MX Clears that I can pick up in the UK?

Muirium
µ

11 Nov 2014, 14:39

Good question. There's Cherry G80 keyboards out there with clears, but actually getting your hands on one in Britain these days seems sadly complex. Might be easier to pick up a Ducky or a CM keyboard with clears instead. The ideal solution is if someone has a used one they'd like to sell.

I definitely wouldn't advise transplanting switches into a keyboard. But a much simpler operation is swapping in stems, while leaving the switches in position. This is only possible on PCB mount keyboards, like the original Poker, and indeed many Cherry keyboards. You pop the top half of the switch shell off with some tweezers, and lying exposed inside is the slider and the spring. You can try ergo clears that way too.

Ellis

11 Nov 2014, 15:22

Muirium wrote: Good question. There's Cherry G80 keyboards out there with clears, but actually getting your hands on one in Britain these days seems sadly complex. Might be easier to pick up a Ducky or a CM keyboard with clears instead. The ideal solution is if someone has a used one they'd like to sell.

I definitely wouldn't advise transplanting switches into a keyboard. But a much simpler operation is swapping in stems, while leaving the switches in position. This is only possible on PCB mount keyboards, like the original Poker, and indeed many Cherry keyboards. You pop the top half of the switch shell off with some tweezers, and lying exposed inside is the slider and the spring. You can try ergo clears that way too.

Hm, interesting. I had a Google about G80s and it seems that UK models with Clears were never made - though there are ISO models with e.g. German layout. As you say though, getting hold of one might prove difficult or more expensive than it's worth.

When you say you wouldn't recommend a transplant, do you think it's a bad idea in general or just difficult for someone without much soldering experience?

I may need to look into the anatomy of a Cherry MX switch - if I change the stem only, would that not essentially be an Ergo Clear? I thought an Ergo Clear was the stem from a Clear with the (lighter) spring from another switch such as a Brown.

Khers

11 Nov 2014, 17:06

As far as I know MX switches are identical apart from the slider and the spring. The slider and spring is easily replaceable if you do as Mu suggests. If you transplant the slider and the spring from a clear switch, you get an MX clear switch on the board. You could of course skip transplanting the spring and then you could end up with an ergo clear depending on the stiffness of the spring.

I read somewhere - unfortunately I don't remember where and thus I can't vouch the credibility - that if using a very light spring (e.g. from a red or brown switch) the force from the spring is not enough to get over the tactile bump on the clear switch.

Ellis

11 Nov 2014, 17:14

Khers wrote: As far as I know MX switches are identical apart from the slider and the spring. The slider and spring is easily replaceable if you do as Mu suggests. If you transplant the slider and the spring from a clear switch, you get an MX clear switch on the board. You could of course skip transplanting the spring and then you could end up with an ergo clear depending on the stiffness of the spring.

I read somewhere - unfortunately I don't remember where and thus I can't vouch the credibility - that if using a very light spring (e.g. from a red or brown switch) the force from the spring is not enough to get over the tactile bump on the clear switch.
Ah, I see, that would make sense. I don't think that's possible on my Filco though, as it is not a PCB mounted board. So, I'd still need to find a suitable board as well as a bunch of switches.

Halvar

11 Nov 2014, 17:33

Ellis wrote: Hm, interesting. I had a Google about G80s and it seems that UK models with Clears were never made - though there are ISO models with e.g. German layout. As you say though, getting hold of one might prove difficult or more expensive than it's worth.
In Germany the DE one is a current standard Cherry product, e.g.

http://www.amazon.de/Cherry-G80-3000LQC ... roduct_top

I don't know if it's a current product in the UK, but it seems to have existed at one point.

http://www.quietpc.com/cherry-g80-3000-mx-clear

So maybe there's a chance on ebay or somewhere...
Last edited by Halvar on 11 Nov 2014, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

Khers

11 Nov 2014, 17:34

The switches are easy enough to get from 7bit now that he's back in action. Clears are still listed as preorder 10/2014 though...

Halvar

11 Nov 2014, 17:48

For the price of 105 switches from 7bit you could as well order a fully assembled new G80-3000 DE from a German seller.

Khers

11 Nov 2014, 17:54

Halvar wrote: For the price of 105 switches from 7bit you could as well order a fully assembled new G80-3000 DE from a German seller.
Won't argue with that!

Ellis

11 Nov 2014, 17:59

Halvar wrote:
Ellis wrote: Hm, interesting. I had a Google about G80s and it seems that UK models with Clears were never made - though there are ISO models with e.g. German layout. As you say though, getting hold of one might prove difficult or more expensive than it's worth.
In Germany the DE one is a current standard Cherry product, e.g.

http://www.amazon.de/Cherry-G80-3000LQC ... roduct_top

I don't know if it's a current product in the UK, but it seems to have existed at one point.

http://www.quietpc.com/cherry-g80-3000-mx-clear

So maybe there's a chance on ebay or somewhere...
Hmm, perhaps my best option then is to look for one of these, though the picture on quietpc.com depicts an ANSI board interestingly. Might be able to find a DE version on eBay or something, or put up a wanted ad.

Hypersphere

11 Nov 2014, 18:54

The two manufacturers of keyboards equipped with mx clears that tend to stand out in the US market are Kul (the Kul ES-87) and WASD (WASD Code, and WASD with various layout options: full-size, TKL, ANSI, and ISO). Some of these models are available on Amazon. I am not sure about availability in the UK.

I have been very favorably impressed with WASD customer support and customization options.

Muirium
µ

11 Nov 2014, 19:02

Checking WASD out of interest, the cheapest shipping option to Britain is $60. A Code TKL with clears is $150, so that's $210 before our good friends at customs get their paws on it. I'd guess £25 tax and £10-30 handling fee. So you're talking something creeping up to $300, which is approaching twice the price as it is for you guys in America.

And this is why we don't!

Ellis

11 Nov 2014, 20:14

Muirium wrote: Checking WASD out of interest, the cheapest shipping option to Britain is $60. A Code TKL with clears is $150, so that's $210 before our good friends at customs get their paws on it. I'd guess £25 tax and £10-30 handling fee. So you're talking something creeping up to $300, which is approaching twice the price as it is for you guys in America.

And this is why we don't!
Aye :(

deadsea

12 Nov 2014, 09:35

A leopold FC660M can be had with clears, not sure where you'd find one though. it's about £50-70 (laser or dyesub caps) where i'm at (much closer to china). So your mileage will certainly vary.

Muirium
µ

12 Nov 2014, 11:11

Oh, it will. Leopold must be imported here. So add £100 and all the rigmarole above.

Hypersphere

12 Nov 2014, 15:45

If you don't need backlighting, you can get a barebones (naked) WASD V2 TKL starting at 95.00 USD. However, you pay an additional 15.00 USD for mx clears. They were in stock yesterday, but today they are out of stock of everything except blues, browns, and greens.

I have seen WASD Code and Kul keyboards on Amazon, but this was the US site; I haven't checked Amazon in the UK.

What are your options for purchasing new keyboards in the UK? Are you limited to keyboardco and uk amazon?

Laser
emacs -nw

12 Nov 2014, 16:01

You want this, if you can find it: G80-3000LQCEU-0

http://deskthority.net/review-f45/cherr ... t1817.html

The white version has thin PBT caps (but the modifiers and spacebar are thick). The texture is very smooth though.
PCB mounted switches.
The Caps Lock and Spacebar have offset stems, usually usable only in keyboards with custom PCB.
But you get a nice case, the stems, caps and other spare pieces at a good price.

Muirium
µ

12 Nov 2014, 16:15

Hypersphere wrote: What are your options for purchasing new keyboards in the UK? Are you limited to keyboardco and uk amazon?
Keyboardco has a monopoly on Topre here (no HHKB) and wants the deeds to your house for the privilege.

Amazon has 3rd party sellers on it that handle mech keyboards, but I haven't seen any trustworthy ones. I was after an original Poker for a while, but couldn't get feedback. Disconcerting!

As for local shops, there's a literal handful. The largest of which is this lot:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk

Their website is so badly designed it crashes my old iPad, so you'll have to find the goods yourself. Prepare to wince. It is the European way!

Ellis

12 Nov 2014, 16:34

Laser wrote: You want this, if you can find it: G80-3000LQCEU-0

http://deskthority.net/review-f45/cherr ... t1817.html

The white version has thin PBT caps (but the modifiers and spacebar are thick). The texture is very smooth though.
PCB mounted switches.
The Caps Lock and Spacebar have offset stems, usually usable only in keyboards with custom PCB.
But you get a nice case, the stems, caps and other spare pieces at a good price.
Ok, thanks. I guess I'm basically looking for anything G80-3000LQ? The layout is not too important to me since I can't see myself keeping a Cherry G80 as a 'daily driver' type of thing - if I like MX Clears, I'll make an effort to find a nicer board with them (including associated costs).

Sadly I imagine that Cherry G80 is going to be ludicrously hard to find.

Laser
emacs -nw

12 Nov 2014, 16:38

Perhaps this, then? (DE layout) - seems to be the LQC version:

(but you'll probably have to inquire further)

http://www.amazon.de/Cherry-G80-3000-Ta ... B000KN43CS

Hypersphere

12 Nov 2014, 16:40

Muirium wrote:
Hypersphere wrote: What are your options for purchasing new keyboards in the UK? Are you limited to keyboardco and uk amazon?
Keyboardco has a monopoly on Topre here (no HHKB) and wants the deeds to your house for the privilege.

Amazon has 3rd party sellers on it that handle mech keyboards, but I haven't seen any trustworthy ones. I was after an original Poker for a while, but couldn't get feedback. Disconcerting!

As for local shops, there's a literal handful. The largest of which is this lot:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk

Their website is so badly designed it crashes my old iPad, so you'll have to find the goods yourself. Prepare to wince. It is the European way!
What about eBay? On the US eBay site at least, you can find reputable dealers other than the majority of sellers who are just running online flea markets. For example, I have discovered a vendor from South Korea who resells Filco and some Leopold products (including Topre and Leopold keycap sets) at relatively reasonable prices -- he also packs his items beautifully.

Muirium
µ

12 Nov 2014, 17:01

Ah, you're doing a Matteo and tempting us with stories but no link!

The big cost is, of course, customs. For anything keyboard sized and priced that they notice, declared or if youre really unlucky: otherwise, you're talking $50-100+ expense as soon as it gets here; plus the hassle of paying them a visit to pick it up. (Much harder for people who don't live in a regional city, like me.)

So what you really need is an eBay seller who is knowingly breaking the law for you, yet is still trustworthy. Could be the reason that Matt is hesitant to share his links! But these sellers live in China or elsewhere, beyond the reach of Her Majesty's law. Unlike us, of course.

Beyond mech keyboards, most things are generally available locally. There we pay a mere 30-50% more than you do. Instead of 100% when we run the import gauntlet!

Hypersphere

12 Nov 2014, 20:02

Muirium wrote: Ah, you're doing a Matteo and tempting us with stories but no link!

The big cost is, of course, customs. For anything keyboard sized and priced that they notice, declared or if youre really unlucky: otherwise, you're talking $50-100+ expense as soon as it gets here; plus the hassle of paying them a visit to pick it up. (Much harder for people who don't live in a regional city, like me.)

So what you really need is an eBay seller who is knowingly breaking the law for you, yet is still trustworthy. Could be the reason that Matt is hesitant to share his links! But these sellers live in China or elsewhere, beyond the reach of Her Majesty's law. Unlike us, of course.

Beyond mech keyboards, most things are generally available locally. There we pay a mere 30-50% more than you do. Instead of 100% when we run the import gauntlet!
I was reluctant to reference a link in case it was specific to US eBay.

However, because you asked, here is a link to the S. Korea vendor, "widebasket" on US eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/widebasket/m.ht ... pg=&_from=

He has been responsive to inquiries and has added items to his store at my request. He ships promptly, and his packaging is excellent. I have purchased keycap sets from him, including Topre RF 87u/104u white and blue sets and a blank navy blue Cherry mx Leopold PBT set. He is not breaking any laws that I am aware of; the customs labels are marked correctly, but thus far I have not had to pay any customs fees for items I have purchased.

deadsea

13 Nov 2014, 09:12

http://deskthority.net/vendors-f52/keyc ... 82-60.html

Here's a vendor on the forums. I was planning to get from him initially, but i found a better deal on taobao.com.

Direct link to the clear board in his store.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 91288.html

If you do shop around on aliexpress, do remember that keycool has mostly switched to kaliah switch aka clone mx.

Yslen

13 Nov 2014, 10:56

My JD40 has clears and was built and shipped within the UK. Might be a month or two waiting for the build though.

Muirium
µ

13 Nov 2014, 13:57

Built in Britain? Is Pexon making them? (For those who haven't heard of it, the JD40 is a kit keyboard.)

@Hyper: oddly enough, eBay is one of the better sites when it comes to borders. You and I can browse at German eBay, for instance, by simply editing the ebay.de portion of a listing's URL to ebay.com or ebay.co.uk. I do this routinely so I can read what's going on. Amazon used to work similarly about 12 years ago, but somewhere along the line your login got confined to your local store. So no easy Amazon.co.jp action for you or me!

JaccoW

13 Nov 2014, 14:35

Your cheapest option is probably a SkiData board. It has a German QWERTZ ISO G80-1800 layout and has a PS/2 connection but it feels great.

Best of all, no import costs and you could probably sell the board at a profit when you take everything apart.

JackMills

13 Nov 2014, 15:01

Muirium wrote: Built in Britain? Is Pexon making them? (For those who haven't heard of it, the JD40 is a kit keyboard.)
Aren't these sold by CtrlAlt.io with assembly by Margo and isn't he UK-based?

Muirium
µ

13 Nov 2014, 15:08

First I heard of them. You're likely right. (The site makes me clutch my monocle…)

Yslen

13 Nov 2014, 15:25

JackMills wrote:
Muirium wrote: Built in Britain? Is Pexon making them? (For those who haven't heard of it, the JD40 is a kit keyboard.)
Aren't these sold by CtrlAlt.io with assembly by Margo and isn't he UK-based?
Correct :) Comes to about £79 + shipping. Bit of a wait at the moment though.

https://ctrlalt.io/store/items/jd40

Return to “Keyboards”