IBM Solenoid question

Touch_It

12 Nov 2014, 20:41

Fist, I just thought I would point out that this would be for my 4704 Model F 107 key. With that being said do wheelwriter's have solenoids or where is the best place to get a replacement solenoid (original or replacement)?

Thanks

13 Nov 2014, 01:59

Sent you a PM.

dorkvader

13 Nov 2014, 06:36

you can just buy them like so:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11015

I have a few wheelwriter typewriters and none of them have solenoids. Even the displaywriter (the system that predated it) doesn't. (it has a speaker). Lots of IBM beam springs have solenoids, as do the much more common and cheap 3178 keyboards (sometimes called "model C") I also have two wang terminal keyboards with hall effect switches and solenoids plus one with keytronic and a solenoid.

but I imagine 0100010 might have a better offer.

13 Nov 2014, 15:46

Was actually just about the same info :

1 - Sparkfun has solenoids (but I don't know if they will work with one of xwhatsits drivers)
2 - IBM 3178s have solenoids - I have one I can sell (hence the PM)
3 - Check with Cindy to see if she has any 3178s left, if you want the spare parts in addition to the solenoid

xwhatsit

17 Nov 2014, 09:55

Those Sparkfun solenoids might not be such a good idea. Unlike the IBM solenoids, they have a very long throw, so there'll most likely be a noticeable delay when they activate. The IBM solenoid clickers only seem to move about 1mm or so. Also, the IBM solenoids hammer themselves against their own mounting bracket, which is what makes the nice click; these ones are just a standard solenoid designed to be used to move stuff, so they don't actually collide with anything.

The other problem is that they have a 4.5 ohm coil. My solenoid board outputs 9V, so it would try to pull 2A... scary! Even at 5V that would be 1.1A. The original IBM solenoids are about 33 ohms or thereabouts. Maybe you could put a big-ass power resistor inline with it but it's still not really going to sound all that nice because of the hefty throw.

Touch_It

17 Nov 2014, 18:44

Cool, thanks for the replies. Definitely sounds like an og IBM solenoid is the only way to go. Hopefully will be buying one + a solenoid board with christmas money :D.

idollar
i$

17 Sep 2015, 12:13

Question:

Can someone tell me if this IBM 3178 will have a solenoid inside ?

Cheers
Attachments
Solenoid.png
Solenoid.png (63.94 KiB) Viewed 6373 times

modology

17 Sep 2015, 12:40

anyone also know where I can buy Solenoid Driver for my beamspring?

orihalcon

28 Sep 2015, 21:28

I have solenoid drivers for $25 each shipped to the USA. PM me if interested.

Muirium
µ

28 Sep 2015, 21:52

Will they work with generic solenoids? Say, inside one of Ellipse's Kishsaver rebuilds?

Not that I necessarily think this would be a good idea! But I recall Xwhatsit telling me the Model F controller was able to drive a solenoid driver too.

Firebolt1914

30 Sep 2015, 01:58

Just wondering, would it be possible to get a solenoid for a Model M? I've seen a few videos of it done, but I'm not sure exactly what is required.

Edit: An xWhatsit controller would probably be needed, correct?

Touch_It

30 Sep 2015, 22:10

Sorry, I keep forgetting to respond in this thread. I'll try to get some answers up tonight. I don't want to actually throw around any mis-information on accident.

Vizir

21 Oct 2015, 01:54

Touch_It wrote: Sorry, I keep forgetting to respond in this thread. I'll try to get some answers up tonight. I don't want to actually throw around any mis-information on accident.
would love more information

Touch_It

11 Dec 2015, 06:11

Scatter brained. Promise I will post this weekend

Touch_It

16 Dec 2015, 21:37

It is indeed possible to use a xwhatsit controller + solenoid on a model M keyboard.
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/sol ... 11683.html

also all IBM 3178 keyboards (ones with a blue toggle switch) should have a solenoid. Assuming it wasn't stolen.

darkspider

20 Dec 2015, 15:12

Looking into ebay, some 3178 are stolen their solenoids. If a seller accepts, I think you should confirm whether they have solenoid in their interior when you eager to get them.

Return to “Keyboards”