Identify this Apple keyboard

Touch_It

21 Nov 2014, 22:35

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416605600.506341.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416605600.506341.jpg (145.98 KiB) Viewed 3001 times
The computer it is sitting on is a power Macintosh g3 if that helps. I can maybe get a better pic if required. Trying to figure out what it is and if it's work buying and I'd so what price.

crunch

21 Nov 2014, 23:02

Looks like a AppleDesign keyboard with rubber domes, but could also be Apple Extended keyboard with ALPS switches.

Touch_It

21 Nov 2014, 23:18

Asked the seller for a Pic with a key cap popped so I'll see.

Findecanor

22 Nov 2014, 00:00

That is definitely not an AEK or any other original Apple keyboard with Alps switches. The AEK is curved pretty high in the back and has wide borders to the left and right with the Apple logo on the left border. None of Apple's keyboards with Alps has any stepped Caps Lock like this one has.

I agree that it is most likely to be a AppleDesign Keyboard. In the Wiki you can see that there are a few versions of it, and if you are lucky it could have Alps-compatible keycaps of PBT .. but it does look too yellowed to be that.
All third-party keyboards for the Mac that I have seen have had have 1u Alt/Option keys while Apple's own are 1.25u.

Touch_It

22 Nov 2014, 03:31

Thanks. Seller hasn't responded but sounds like a no brainer pass.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 Nov 2014, 16:44

my tipp is also AppleDesign keyboard like this one:
apple-design-kybd-A-1.jpg
apple-design-kybd-A-1.jpg (113.56 KiB) Viewed 2905 times

Findecanor

22 Nov 2014, 22:35

Huh? :shock: ... That particular keyboard is an exception to the rules I laid out in my previous post. So there is an AppleDesign keyboard with 1u Alt/Option keys and non-stepped Caps Lock ...

jacobolus

22 Nov 2014, 22:46

Also quite possible this keyboard wasn’t made by Apple. There were several third party vendors making Mac keyboards.

If it is an Apple keyboard, it’s a worthless crappy one. All the nice ones (or even ones with useful parts) had PBT keycaps; the keyboard pictured in the OP is definitely pure ABS.

I’d generally say this isn’t worth following up on. It’s unlikely to be anything you’d want at any price.

Daniel Beardsmore

22 Nov 2014, 22:54

Findecanor wrote: Huh? :shock: ... That particular keyboard is an exception to the rules I laid out in my previous post. So there is an AppleDesign keyboard with 1u Alt/Option keys and non-stepped Caps Lock ...
That picture is from Tammy:

http://www.applerescueofdenver.com/prod ... -keyboard/

The different AppleDesign Keyboard variants:

http://www.applerescueofdenver.com/prod ... -key-caps/

robo

22 Nov 2014, 23:46

The PowerMac G3 All-in-ones and the ADB mouse pictured all match with the keyboard, age wise, and it's definitely an AppleDesign model (ie. boring, run-of-the-mill rubberdome from the late 90's).

Touch_It

24 Nov 2014, 08:01

As smarter people than myself have already identified, I confirmed with the seller this was an Apple design keyboard. Also today I realized I had two of them hiding in plain sight in my garage. (Yellowing not included). Thanks for the help.

Daniel Beardsmore

24 Nov 2014, 09:30

Are yours either of the two types on the wiki, or do you have one of the other types?

Touch_It

24 Nov 2014, 14:58

I will let you know when I get off work. Won't be for 10ish hours though as I'm just getting ready atm

Touch_It

25 Nov 2014, 03:44

I have one of both. The nmb with sliders and spend feels much better than the alps controller board variant.

jacobolus

25 Nov 2014, 04:39

Their both pretty bad though IMO, but the Alps-mount-compatible one has dye-sublimated keycaps that can be transplanted to other Alps keyboards. :-)

(I’m talking about this type http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/apple ... t7400.html )

Return to “Keyboards”