Making MX Reds out of MX Browns + Blacks?

Gentleman

06 Dec 2014, 23:40

Hello,

Title - is it possible?

Wanted to use the Springs from the Mx-Browns and the linear from the Blacks.

Any Downsides if it is possible?

Cheers Gentleman

Laser
emacs -nw

06 Dec 2014, 23:57

Should be all right, the only downside is the assembly time.

Gentleman

07 Dec 2014, 00:02

It shouldt take too long all after all but I found another problem: My Keyboard has LED, so I would have to solder, and buying / Learning soldering - I don't think so :D

But thank you for the fast reply :)

Laser
emacs -nw

07 Dec 2014, 00:04

Yes, more visuals, less modding :P

But you should learn to solder - it's a good skill to learn
(while ruining your most expensive keyboard and giving yourself a chance to try other keyboards, probably without leds)

IvanIvanovich

07 Dec 2014, 02:00

Used to do that back in the day before MX reds were common switch. Only downside is time and effort required to do it.
If you want to try something more interesting, put linear slider with clear springs. You get similar actuation force, but then it ramps up in force a lot so unlikely to bottom out and very rapid reset.

Gentleman

07 Dec 2014, 11:14

Well Yeah, I think I will give it a try in my free time before Christmas.

Watching some videos how to de-solder the LED'S, although im not sure if I'm willing to solder them again - I don't find myself turning the LED's on alot.

So - Does anyone have a nice tutorial on how to desolder the LED's?

Since I never opened a Keyboard - I just have to put off all the keycaps and the remove the screws and I can put the plate out of the case?

For Soldering Equipment: Anything I should take of when buying the Equipment? i.e how big the top of the solderer is or smth like that?

@ IvanIvanovich: I only have an old G80-1180 (blacks + 1 grey for the spacebar) and the Poker 2 with browns ( bought for 60 at amazon Warehouse, was the cheapest at this time I have to admit :D)

Edit:
In this Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luHI4UjkyCY) at 7:50 he does say that you have to remove all the remaining solder - i fI dont Replace the LED's, is there any need for it?

IvanIvanovich

07 Dec 2014, 16:25

What is G80-1180? I have never heard of this model.
For solder iron, I have Yihua 936. It's very cheap OK solder iron. For remove components you'll also want some kind of desolder pump. Use wick for whole keyboard will make you hate life I promise.
You can always only put led back on select key, like wasd for example... also could be a good time to choose a different color. led remove same way as any other through hole components.

Gentleman

07 Dec 2014, 17:17

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_G80-1800

Okay, going to bid on a yihua 936 on ebay then, lett's see if I'm succesful :D

A Desolder pump costs like 5 €, so that is fine aswell i guess :D

scottc

07 Dec 2014, 17:19

Off-topic: Thanks for the tip Ivan, I've been looking for a moderately good temp-controlled iron and the Yihua seems fine.

Laser
emacs -nw

07 Dec 2014, 17:48

[still kinda off-topic]

I use something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Analog-solderin ... B000V8JYU8

It's analog, but i know at what points to set the temp knob, when i unsolder old keyboards (around 3.8/5) or when i solder (3.2/5); sure, it depends on the soldering material (to be) used.

Gentleman

07 Dec 2014, 18:29

btw, Why not Wick? I heard it is easier to use? and I'm "only" desoldering a 60 % keyboard :D

Gentleman

07 Dec 2014, 18:44

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/5884 ... archDetail

I can get this one at the local Store, think I get this one on Monday :)

Laser
emacs -nw

07 Dec 2014, 18:47

Looks good to me (you need that pump too).
BTW, you do realize you have to (un)solder not only the LEDs, but also all the switches from the Poker 2?

Gentleman

07 Dec 2014, 18:55

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/5883 ... archDetail Or im getting this one, since I don't need it too often afterwards i guess - recommandations?

@ Laser actually I don't have to- I can open the switches without removing them, or is this not possible?
Edit: I just checked the Poker, but it seems i can get under the switch.

Laser
emacs -nw

07 Dec 2014, 19:06

If it's Poker 2 with metal plate, you can't.

Gentleman

07 Dec 2014, 19:11

Urgh.... That actually sucks, because I have absolutely no experience with soldering.

Does anyone have a nice tutorial video or guide for it?

Laser
emacs -nw

07 Dec 2014, 19:15

This guy is controversial, but his videos aren't:
(the youtube video description has actual 'chapter' links if you want to skip some sections)

Try your hand first on another - cheaper - PCB (not the Poker 2) and unsolder/solder some switches until you do it consistently well.

Or, sell your Poker and buy another with desired switch.
Or, get used to your Poker switches.

Return to “Keyboards”