Removing LED

Gentleman

07 Dec 2014, 13:42

Hey,
Is it possible to remove LED's from a Poker 2 without soldering?

Im not planning to replace them, just to remove them so I can change the switches :)

Cheers
Gentleman

Nuum

07 Dec 2014, 13:48

Nope, you have to desolder it. Some people install SIP sockets into their switches which allows the removal of LEDs without desoldering. These SIP sockets are then soldered onto the PCB and the LEDs are simply stuck into the sockets. I plan to do this to my FaceU 60%, when the SIP sockets finally arrive.
For removing the switches you would still have to desolder these sockets, but the switches can then be opened if the plate allows it or they are PCB-mounted, which doesn't apply to the standard Poker 2.

Gentleman

07 Dec 2014, 13:51

Well, so I give it a try :) Tahnks for the fast reply

Gentleman

07 Dec 2014, 17:32

OK another Question: Why can't I simply cut them with a sharp knife?

Muirium
µ

07 Dec 2014, 17:40

You could try. They're like staples holding the switches in, only tougher and recessed where its hard to get a good cut on them.

Also, your switches still won't be free to open even with the LEDs out the way. The plate is still there!

ne0phyte
Toast.

07 Dec 2014, 17:42

EDIT: Muirium, as always, was faster.
Gentleman wrote: OK another Question: Why can't I simply cut them with a sharp knife?
You'd probably damage the switches (not severly, but scratches etc). After all, you'd have to cut through the wires of the leds.
I guess most people here will agree that desoldering is, by far, the cleaner way of getting rid of them :D

YOu could do that, but you'd have to be careful and it would make some of us cringe a bit.

Gentleman

07 Dec 2014, 17:45

since I don't wanna make you cringe, I have to do the desoldering *uff* :D

Jmneuv

07 Dec 2014, 20:28

Just remember to use the soldering iron in short intervals.. it's more like touching.. you don't really stay on a spot.

Return to “Keyboards”