Epiphany

Laser
emacs -nw

08 Dec 2014, 21:03

... the moment one realizes that a wooden folding chess table would make a perfect case for a small format keyboard.

Muirium
µ

08 Dec 2014, 21:12

Good point. Got some internal dimensions? I wonder how many of those can fit an HHKB and appropriate padding.

Laser
emacs -nw

08 Dec 2014, 21:15

I don't, but they come in all sizes :)

It just needs to be slightly larger - and you can decide to mount a plate either _inside_ the chess table (fixing it on the bottom with threaded support), or _above_ the chess table, cutting the top wood board at the right dimensions (if your plate has lateral holes). Also if it's much larger - you have a wooden palm rest for free, and even space to the right for a joystick or trackball.

chzel

08 Dec 2014, 21:20

You crazy!
You mean to build the keyboard inside the chess board...
Muirium and I imagined a case, as in "put my keyboard inside"!
It's a really nice idea!

Muirium
µ

08 Dec 2014, 21:22

Aha! Chzel's quite right. Very smart!

Laser
emacs -nw

08 Dec 2014, 21:22

:D
It is some idea, isn't it? :) (today i'm being modest)

gogusrl

12 Dec 2014, 14:23

and in the cover you stick a tablet and you got a diy notebook.

Laser
emacs -nw

12 Dec 2014, 17:01

quite right! - or a raspberry pi board with a small touch screen :)

gogusrl

12 Dec 2014, 18:09

Since we're talking crazy ideas, I've been looking at this article for the past few days and I can't stop thinking "I need to build a keyboard like that".

http://runawaybrainz.blogspot.ca/2012/0 ... phone.html

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

12 Dec 2014, 18:23

Blasphemy, that case it for backgammon only ! Romanians know why :P

Now serious, ine could build a portable computer with such a case, a raspberry PI and a small screen, Adafruit has some really good ones. You could fit also a battery pack inside. But again it goes better with backgammon and beer and some sunflower seeds :D

Laser
emacs -nw

12 Dec 2014, 19:05

:)

Chess table, def.: the thing to turn face down when starting a backgammon match

The irony is, i quite like myself a good game of chess.
gogusrl wrote: Since we're talking crazy ideas, I've been looking at this article for the past few days and I can't stop thinking "I need to build a keyboard like that".

http://runawaybrainz.blogspot.ca/2012/0 ... phone.html
Oh, that's nice!
You could start by filling the switches with resin - i hear it's great for click dampening :P
(also, water inside a case-shaped glass container would be ... cheaper and faster)
Kidding aside, it's quite cool

gogusrl

12 Dec 2014, 19:07

There's no water in there or I'm missing your point. It's all hardened resin that doesn't conduct electricity.

Laser
emacs -nw

12 Dec 2014, 19:08

gogusrl wrote: There's no water in there or I'm missing your point. It's all hardened resin that doesn't conduct electricity.
Sure, but it looks the same :)

scottc

14 Jan 2015, 14:53

Just picked up a little chess board like in the OP. Width-wise, it's roughly TKL in size. Height-wise it's similar to a 60% or slightly longer. Muirium, your FnKeyless project might have a home!

Muirium
µ

14 Jan 2015, 15:28

Phew! If there's one thing my custom projects are surely short of it's cases*. Those always come last. But perhaps not this one…

Phase 2: A secondary, rectangular straight matrix board in the roof for Kbfdr mode!

Or I guess it could always be a display and wind up being the world's smallest mechanical laptop.

*Honestly, I've got quite a lot of switches now to spare. Including a fullsize board full of Mitsumi Miniatures, which could be quite a project to build into something custom. But if they're in good shape, they are so worth it, for feel alone. And MX compatibility really helps.

scottc

14 Jan 2015, 15:41

There's not much clearance for a screen in the top of this case. I'd be happy to keep it as an uber-portable, closing keyboard. Can't wait to get home from work and check the measurements vs. other keyboards...

Mal-2

14 Jan 2015, 17:41

scottc wrote: There's not much clearance for a screen in the top of this case. I'd be happy to keep it as an uber-portable, closing keyboard. Can't wait to get home from work and check the measurements vs. other keyboards...
The 8.9 inch screen from an Acer Aspire One might fit, but I'm not so sure about the video hardware required to drive it.

scottc

14 Jan 2015, 18:25

I'm more concerned about the depth. I'm imagining the keycaps would be quite tall if I mount a plate on top of the case.

scottc

15 Jan 2015, 00:35

Wow, turns out I'm quite wrong. It's as wide as a 60% or so (so left ctrl over to right ctrl), but about as tall as a TKL (so ctrl up to Esc/F1). Hmm...

beltet

18 Jan 2015, 00:59

I have started to look at all chess/backgammon cases I see on flea markets after this thread... Would be awesome to make a custom laptop with cherry switches.

Return to “Keyboards”