Filco double shots? Opinions sought...

ShivaYash

10 Dec 2014, 16:47

Hello chaps,

I saw these today: http://www.keyboardco.com/product/doubl ... keyset.asp

Only on the screen. They look rather nice but at £46 inc VAT the price is classic KeyBoardCo. I find their products £££.

What do others think? Any ideas on who is supplying them? Perhaps I could 'go to source'?

With best,
SY

HzFaq

10 Dec 2014, 17:47

I seem to remember reading somewhere that they are made by SP...can't think where though. There's a couple of reviews knocking about, most are pretty positive and a thread here with some nice info.

One thing to watch out for is the stabilizers are glued in so you can only use these on boards with Costar stabs.

ShivaYash

10 Dec 2014, 18:00

Thanks! Yes they look like and clearly have been commissioned by DIATEC - finally. The FILCO should really ship with these keycaps. Shall be getting a set but would like to scout around for a better price. I hate paying 'retail'.

bhtooefr

10 Dec 2014, 18:29

ShivaYash

10 Dec 2014, 18:30

£26 plus shipping.

IvanIvanovich

10 Dec 2014, 20:53

Yes they are SP SA keycap set. There have also been several groupbuys for SA sets, so you might look around classifieds, might find some colors that are more preferable from others.

Muirium
µ

10 Dec 2014, 20:58

If you have the patience of a saint, 7bit is always here to push you to your limit! I ordered Round 5 last October and I'm still waiting!

7bit

10 Dec 2014, 21:24

These are nice sphericals. Please notice how they used the space bar tools that had been funded through Round 4. On the other had, in Round 5 we will have 2.25 and 2.75 units keys funded by Filco.
:cool:

ShivaYash

10 Dec 2014, 21:30

Hmmm. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy. But I have to sell a custom WASD set first. Strict rule of mine, otherwise it all gets a little bit crazy.

Cherry1990

10 Dec 2014, 22:58

I read in a forum that a German customer had BIG quality problems with these keycaps... Be careful!
I don't know if I can put links, but you can search around...

Topre Enthusiast

10 Dec 2014, 23:01

Sure you can post links, especially where keyboard/keycap quality is concerned :)

ShivaYash

10 Dec 2014, 23:01

Yep.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Dec 2014, 23:05

Keyboardco isn't so expensive if you take into account the import costs, VAT, and that as a European shop they carry all kinds of different layouts, which makes it much harder than a US shop. Sure they add a margin to make a living, but I support a small shop like that!

Cherry1990

10 Dec 2014, 23:09

ShivaYash

10 Dec 2014, 23:16

Seems like just one incident.

Muirium
µ

10 Dec 2014, 23:33

TacticalStache wrote:It's weird to me, SP usually has very good QC.
I need a drink…

scottc

10 Dec 2014, 23:40

In SP's defense, those are their rejects.

Muirium
µ

10 Dec 2014, 23:46

True. Quite why they shipped them to 7bit, again, I don't know…

Unfortunately, they're quite capable of shipping some pretty substandard stuff besides. I like them as much as the next caps junkie here, but SP's QC is us, when it comes down to it! How many times have we all had to contact Melissa? Where else would that fly?

Cherry1990

10 Dec 2014, 23:57

ShivaYash wrote: Seems like just one incident.
The second one can be yours... :?
Not all people write to a forum...

It is also important, for me, the seller seriousness. I do not know how it got the story...

A mistake can happen but, if your are a TOP QUALITY brand (Made in Japan, expensive etc.) you MUST take care of your customers... Is not too difficult, I think, we have only two or few more forum on the web, is so hard to open a small section to have a feed-back from your customers?
Last edited by Cherry1990 on 10 Dec 2014, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.

ShivaYash

10 Dec 2014, 23:57

They aren't made in Japan!

Cherry1990

11 Dec 2014, 00:01

ShivaYash wrote: They aren't made in Japan!
I had the same reply in the US forum... I don't understand this thing... Filco is a JAPANESE company. If they asked an American company to do a job, they are ANYWAY responsible!
On your Filco keycaps set you will find the FILCO brand, not the SP one...

I saw that you are from UK: you will have very low shipping cost... Try it. You won't lose too many money anyway. ;)

Muirium
µ

11 Dec 2014, 00:29

I get what you're saying. But when is something Not Made in Japan, Made in Japan? It's not a trademark, it's a physical fact. They're Filco's product, but they are made by SP in the USA; no changing that.

Filco should be checking these if they really cared, of course. They do not. And neither does Keyboard Co. if you have to pay your own return shipping on a defective product. Ho hum.

ShivaYash

11 Dec 2014, 00:32

It's a joke and at least in the UK contravenes the distance selling regulations, if a product is defective, why should the consumer have to bear the cost of return shipping? Shall find the para reference if it helps anyone on here and still reading this thread. I want to order but will shift a few sets first! #beingsensible

Britney Spears

12 Dec 2014, 06:57

My five cents: I have the ISO-DE set on my Ducky Mini and I really like them. My set suffers from no flaws and seems very well made.
HzFaq wrote: One thing to watch out for is the stabilizers are glued in so you can only use these on boards with Costar stabs.
While it is true that they come with glued-in stabilizer clips, it is surprisingly easy to remove these with a good pair of pliers or even with just a flat-headed screwdriver, so I would not worry too much about this particular aspect.

ShivaYash

12 Dec 2014, 16:08

Because I am an addict I have just ordered these caps now, in ISO-UK. I really hope they are worth it.

I'm now selling several sets to clear a drawer. Shall post photos shortly in the appropriate place but by way of teaser:

1x custom WASD US-made cap (full 105 set), in a beautiful light and medium contrast great
2x original FILCO OEM keysets, one TKL and the other not. Light usage

With best,

prava

12 Dec 2014, 17:08

This is bad... cheap sphericals in stock in Europe is..... can't resist. Simply can't :(

7bit

12 Dec 2014, 17:22

Seems they sold grab bag keys as regular production keys.
:mad:

SL89

12 Dec 2014, 20:12

I am typing this right now on my Filco Doubleshot ANSI / US set. I got it in a sale from another American so i cant speak to thekeyboardco, but i LOVE these. They are my first SA profile. TMK they are all Row 3 except the Fn Row and Num Row which are both Row 2. I am totally ok with that as it is a unique experience for me and i quite enjoy the off white creamy colour of the legends and the dark dark brown of the main bodies. I'd say look for a private sale to save a bit, but they are definitely worth checking out.

Edit: Also be aware of the QC issues, my kit was bought off someone who posted the melted stem but Filco / Diatec replaced it asap from what i heard. I can't speak to that geekhack thread, but as with most bad things take it with a grain of salt.

ShivaYash

12 Dec 2014, 20:18

SL89 wrote:I am typing this right now on my Filco Doubleshot ANSI / US set. I got it in a sale from another American so i cant speak to thekeyboardco, but i LOVE these. They are my first SA profile. TMK they are all Row 3 except the Fn Row and Num Row which are both Row 2. I am totally ok with that as it is a unique experience for me and i quite enjoy the off white creamy colour of the legends and the dark dark brown of the main bodies. I'd say look for a private sale to save a bit, but they are definitely worth checking out.

Edit: Also be aware of the QC issues, my kit was bought off someone who posted the melted stem but Filco / Diatec replaced it asap from what i heard. I can't speak to that geekhack thread, but as with most bad things take it with a grain of salt.
Nice to hear positive stuff. I'd be keen on a few spares. Can you tell me how the direct Filco/Diatec replacement worked? Who is the contact? Email address?

SL89

12 Dec 2014, 20:35

ShivaYash wrote:
SL89 wrote:I am typing this right now on my Filco Doubleshot ANSI / US set. I got it in a sale from another American so i cant speak to thekeyboardco, but i LOVE these. They are my first SA profile. TMK they are all Row 3 except the Fn Row and Num Row which are both Row 2. I am totally ok with that as it is a unique experience for me and i quite enjoy the off white creamy colour of the legends and the dark dark brown of the main bodies. I'd say look for a private sale to save a bit, but they are definitely worth checking out.

Nice to hear positive stuff. I'd be keen on a few spares. Can you tell me how the direct Filco/Diatec replacement worked? Who is the contact? Email address?
I'm not sure as it happened to the person i bought the kit off, but from what i was told it was a direct replacement and was rather painless. I could PM you the user's info privately but only if he didn't mind.

Return to “Keyboards”