Typewriter Style Sphericals for Cherry MX

Paranoid Android

16 Dec 2014, 00:02

Hello,
I recently bought a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (without the overload of logos :D ) and am very happy with it, but while the keycaps are fine, I would like to one day put some Typewriter style sphericals on it.
The style of the ones Muirium has http://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/l ... ml#p133887 (scroll down a bit).

I'm sorry if I'm missing a place where this is available but in all my Googling with different keywords I cannot find these kind of caps available. I would appreciate it if anyone would give me a link to where I can buy these type of caps.

Thanks in advance.

Nuum

16 Dec 2014, 00:04

Take a a look at Round 5/Round5a.

Paranoid Android

16 Dec 2014, 00:12

Oh thanks..
For some reason I knew of Round 5 but never really read into it. Feel so dumb.

Muirium
µ

16 Dec 2014, 00:14

Don't worry. No one truly understands Round 5.

Paranoid Android

16 Dec 2014, 00:15

Ya I read something about controversy over it...... Hmm.

Muirium
µ

16 Dec 2014, 00:19

Well, the only controversy is that we're still waiting. Something about twins and the speed of light.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

16 Dec 2014, 00:31

As it turns out, you can run your own add on pack while you're waiting.

Production overruns/leftovers received by 7bit show that SP do seem to have been making them:
Some of these should be orderable now!
Just not all the pretty ones, some have already sold out - even if these are QC fails with moulding sprues attached:

I don't believe it'll all be over by Christmas 2014, but I do believe SP are relatively close to their main shipment to 7bit.
I still guess Summer 2015 for Round 5, and I'm gonna say... Spring 2016 for Round 5a! 8-)
Note: this is slightly but mostly uninformed non-authoritative guesswork!
Last edited by facetsesame on 16 Dec 2014, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.

chzel

16 Dec 2014, 00:32

Deadlines are a matter of the correct frame of reference!

Paranoid Android

17 Dec 2014, 00:25

facetsesame wrote: As it turns out, you can run your own add on pack while you're waiting.

Production overruns/leftovers received by 7bit show that SP do seem to have been making them:
Some of these should be orderable now!
Just not all the pretty ones, some have already sold out - even if these are QC fails with moulding sprues attached:

I don't believe it'll all be over by Christmas 2014, but I do believe SP are relatively close to their main shipment to 7bit.
I still guess Summer 2015 for Round 5, and I'm gonna say... Spring 2016 for Round 5a! 8-)
Note: this is slightly but mostly uninformed non-authoritative guesswork!
Hmm. I'll look more into the ordering process when I am out of my lazy phase as it isn't as straightforward as lazy me would like....
Oh, and ya, the "molding sprues" are fine as I also own a Unicomp. And you know what Unicomp keycap printing quality is like. :lol:

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

17 Dec 2014, 01:07

Real production photos of Round 5 have been received, so now you can see for yourself!

In a few days I'll have some more time on my hands, so if you give some more details on the sort of things you'd like I can delve through the kits and pick out some ideas for you.

pcaro

17 Dec 2014, 11:05

Muirium wrote: Well, the only controversy is that we're still waiting. Something about twins and the speed of light.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way, I'm hoping tips on the best keyboard for these keys.

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/req ... t9410.html

Please help me, but maybe when I reach them the Novatouch TKL is a vintage keyboard ...

IvanIvanovich

17 Dec 2014, 22:10

Alternately you can simply buy some SA set from here 'Doubleshot Filco' or put an add in the classifieds to pick up keys from another SA groupbuy set that has already been completed and delivered so you don't have to wait years.

Paranoid Android

22 Dec 2014, 23:51

Well thanks everybody for replying....
It seems that every option requires a bit too much effort than I would like to give in all my laziness, so I think I'll use the stock keycaps until they get shiny (2 weeks and already developing shine mainly on the E and some others) to the point of being annoying, and then hopefully by that time there will be more Round 5 keycaps on the market...
Because apparently orders of Round 5 are shipping sometime in 2015.

Oh yeah, I saw that star thing on the icon for this thread on the main page. What does that mean?

Return to “Keyboards”